Big 12 Breakup sucks rocks

jayhawk

I don't feel bad for the Big 12. I feel bad for the people who live there. It is a huge part of American culture to jump in your vehicle with your buddies and drive over hill and dale to see your team play. Lawrence to Lincoln? Let's do it.

that's it in a nutshell. The days of getting up early on Saturday morning to drive to a game are pretty much over unless you live within 3-4 hours of Lincoln AND you have some inside track to home game tickets

College football is getting ready to be permanently altered, and not for the better.

I don't like it at all.

I'm going to be following the MIAA (D2) conference more this year. A lot more fun to actually go to games even if they are D2.

I am a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the MIAA. NWMSU BEARCATS all the way!! (atleast i have one team wins it all :) )

Well I too will miss KU but I also think the big12 can survive. Once Texass' ego settles down they'll start exploring options to stay top dog. Their path to a bcs game just got easier so why not throw in boise?

I hope things don't go the way you think they will too soon but money has been driving the schools for longer than i've been alive. That's what the big12 was all about.

KU will be alright. You have a very special piece of Nebraska staying with you in Turner Gill.

I understand the Pac-10/16 move. Have LA, the nation's #2 TV market, have San Fran, Seattle, Phoenix - all top TV markets, join in with DFW and Houston TV markets.

That's an unbeatable TV market because NYC doesn't have a singular big-time college football program tied to it.

Now, if Miami-Florida-FSU joined up in a single conference, does anyone believe the South Florida TV market would ONLY watch those three teams? I don't. Every Dade County viewer would still have interests in non-SEC teams, too. As well as Orlando and Tampa Bay - massive TV markets in their own right. But nothing compared to LA-DFW-Houston-SanFran-Phoenix-Tucson-Seattle.

I still think the NCAA is being foolish - they don't need 16-team conferences in two 8-team divisions that only play each other in 1 non-div game - the Championship game. They NEED sixteen 8-team conferences, period. Then let those sixteen champions play in 8 games, and let those 8 winners go on to a 4-game playoff, then a 2-game playoff, then a single one.

Easily done. 8 team conferences = 7 conference games. Stack in 3 or 4 pre-conference games, including traditional rivalries if teams want. Then stack in an end of season Every Team In Conference "A" plays Every Team In Conference "B" so that every team has a 'post season' bragging rights game. And the Conf Winners play each other for the NCAA Playoffs. Each team can have 11 or 12 games, therefore, plus Conf Champ Winners might play 14 into the National Title Game.

All those Univ Presidents who claim to need TV money couldn't find a BIGGER dollar sign than a true playoff scenario.

Texas is the nation's largest revenue generator in college sports at, what?, $88 million? And Ohio State was #2 at $54 million? And Tom O thinks Michigan, Penn State and Ohio State aren't big dawgs? Neb was used to being the big dawg in a very puny Big 2 conference for decades. Then he suffered when his VB program got swept this season. Time to jump ship. I hate to point out that Penn State's won VB titles by going SEASONS in an undefeated status. Something tells me his nose won't get straightened by fleeing into the Big 10. But I know Chicago is a more likely TV market for Neb than DFW or Houston was.

For the 6 Big-12 teams that could jump to the Pac-16, creating an 8-team division with AZ and ArizState - that's a win-win for them. No more weather whining about baseball games getting snowed out. No more fretting about travel plans killed because of inclement weather. The travel between Phoenix to Houston (for A&M) will be the most extreme until Conf championships, and some of those Big 12 teams have done very well playing in Phoenix or San Diego or Pasadena. I don't think they'd mind one bit. Kinda wonder what Houston humidity would do to a team like the Sun Devils, though.

All my Husker gear is packed up and ready for delivery to the thrift store. Maybe somebody will give me some money for it. Oh, I know I have a tradition of wearing my Husker shirts and jacket and cheering for the Huskers (except when they play the mighty Cyclones) every Saturday during the college football season but who cares about tradition when there's money involved?

Enjoy yourselves in the Big 20 or whatever it's going to be referred to in the future. I personally probably won't be paying any attention to you anymore as I simply cannot stand the Big 10.

Anybody interested in my position and avatar from the Huskerboard team? The bidding starts at $10.

I love the B10 and the B12.

I would have preferred to see ND join the B10, stop expansion and leave the B12 alone.

But since that isn't happening...

Welcome to the B10.

If the B12 dies...

oh well.

The mighty clones can't compete there, and NU can't seem to win a conference title anymore.

Maybe my clones can find a conference they can compete in.

All my Husker gear is packed up and ready for delivery to the thrift store. Maybe somebody will give me some money for it. Oh, I know I have a tradition of wearing my Husker shirts and jacket and cheering for the Huskers (except when they play the mighty Cyclones) every Saturday during the college football season but who cares about tradition when there's money involved?

Enjoy yourselves in the Big 20 or whatever it's going to be referred to in the future. I personally probably won't be paying any attention to you anymore as I simply cannot stand the Big 10.

Anybody interested in my position and avatar from the Huskerboard team? The bidding starts at $10.

Hey, thats 10x the amount for ISU conference membership on Craig's list

Cy, the best rumor I have heard that would keep any semblance of the old Big 8 together would be KU, KSU, MU and ISU to the Big East. I just really would not like to see KU in the Mountain West, that would kill our recruiting...

I would love to end up in a decent conference with those schools, but I guess it is wait and see... Lots of talk about if A&M doesn't go Pac 10, KU takes that spot (or Utah). We will see how it works out...

We both know they will go somewhere if they get the chance at this point. What is left? I would LOVE to stay with Mizzou and K-State, and Iowa State too for that matter. But let's be honest, the South is gone. KU can ONLY go to the PAC 10 if that is true. They are not gonna be a 12th team. Mizzou could leave for the Big 10 when they do there next round, which is still quite possible. SO KU, K-State and Iowa STate may not have many options. I am not saying I like it, as clearly I do not. BUt you can't have a conference with no teams left ot be in it. Being in the Mountain West would kill our Basketball. I think most KU fans would like to see MU in our conference, but I cannot see how you turn down a life preserver when you don't know what you are gonna get. KU did not create this mess. They have tried to stop it at every turn. They did not issue ultimatums, imply they were splitting or undermine anyone. But now it is in the crapper. If there is any likelihood the Big 12 keeps the south, KU will be right there. We are not bailing unless the whole thing is done. I am not sure what anyone would expect of KU, Iowa State and K-State at this point. These 3 schools did not want any of this and of those, KU has the most to lose...

I understand why Nebraska is doing this. but it sucks.

Am I unhappy because we might get screwed? sure. I don't like that, but believe it or not that is NOT my point here.

Do I not understnad that in a conference of more power centers, Nebraska will feel less bullied and more respected, yup. Got that. Understand it, too. Even agree.

Do I not know that the Big 10 has all AAU schools and some more TV money, yup, check and.... check.

So why does it suck? This is all awesome right?

Nope. Not awesome. This is a huge step toward the long term destruction, or at least strong devolution, of why I care about college football.

This is only about money. Money is what I don't like about pro sports. It is why I am a college sports fan. I lived about the same distance from KU and Arrowhead, and growing up the Chiefs were a lot better than the Jayhawks in their respective levels. When I got old enough to get my own season tickets, I went west. I loved to watch Mizzou and K-State come in and the passion people had for the TEAMs. The fight songs with actual words. The fans who were not mostly drunk and full of cursing venom. So what was there to like when NU came to town? I liked how knowledgeable and poilte the fans are. How they respected the history of the game and effort of the oppostition. Hey Jayhawk, that is all the same, nothing has changed, we will still be all that.... why wouldn't we be? We did what was right for us...

Washington vs. Texas as a conference game. Penn State vs. Nebraska in November... Compelling TV, but it is compelling because those powers were dominant in their regions, and when they would meet at year end in a bowl it settled things. Now it is just the NFL light... It won't become that overnight, but make no mistake where it is headed. This is not all NU's fault mind you, but don't pretend you didn't play a major role and history will note it for better or worse.

Well gents, I can honestly and sincerely say I am very sorry to see you go. I understand why you are ending the longest uninterupted streak in all of college football. I liked having you to Lawrence for the last, well, my entire life, my dad's life, my grandpa's life, and even my great grandpa's life (he was not a KU fan, though). I do not harken back to leather helmets, the wedge, or think all change is bad. I think this one sucks. Mizzou looks to be with us still for now. I hate them, and for all the right reasons. I hope they don't go to the Big 10. Not because I wish them ill will, which of course I do, but because them leaving would dramatically reduce all the things I like about college football even more. I LOVE to play them, LOVE to beat them, and if we never lost to them it would be no fun when we win. But now, in the end, this is all about money. If money is all it is, you need to pay the players (why don't they get their cut for being flown all around everywhere, seems like a scholarship isn't such a fair shake now), ditch the tax exempt status (this ain't charity, boys), and just wait til the shine comes off and college football is just the NFL minor leagues. That takes time to manifest itself, a long time even. Great traditions die hard and a lot of change is good (like the Huskerboard, nice tool we have here...) But please know that these changes will continue the evolution of the nature of sport. This one goes into making College Football even more a regular business. Impossible to argue that it doesn't, as no serious commentators try.

I wish you all no ill will. I love the Huskers, I will miss them, I understand about the Big 12 not working out and wish you all well. Next time I am in Lawrence and in the Big 6 room at the Eldridge Hotel, I will reflect on the changing face of college sports, about how it is changing for the worse. About how I won't see my friends to the north coming around anymore. The 3 hour drives didn't have enough money in them, now it is 8 hour drives and flights... like in the NFL...

Good luck with your new conference. I do hope it works out for Huskers, and more importantly, for college athletics as a whole. I hope for all our sakes the next 100 years will be as rewarding as this last 100...

As an MU fan, I couldn't agree with you more. I don't blame Nebraska for going to the Big 10, and I'm certain MU would have made the leap if we had an invite. That being said, I do agree that we are seeing the death of College Football as we know it, and that makes me sad. I too prefer college sports to professional because of the reasons you mention, and many of those reasons are going away.

Am I unhappy because we might get screwed? sure. I don't like that, but believe it or not that is NOT my point here.

Do I not understnad that in a conference of more power centers, Nebraska will feel less bullied and more respected, yup. Got that. Understand it, too. Even agree.

Do I not know that the Big 10 has all AAU schools and some more TV money, yup, check and.... check.

Nope. Not awesome. This is a huge step toward the long term destruction, or at least strong devolution, of why I care about college football.

This is only about money. Money is what I don't like about pro sports. It is why I am a college sports fan. I lived about the same distance from KU and Arrowhead, and growing up the Chiefs were a lot better than the Jayhawks in their respective levels. When I got old enough to get my own season tickets, I went west. I loved to watch Mizzou and K-State come in and the passion people had for the TEAMs. The fight songs with actual words. The fans who were not mostly drunk and full of cursing venom. So what was there to like when NU came to town? I liked how knowledgeable and poilte the fans are. How they respected the history of the game and effort of the oppostition. Hey Jayhawk, that is all the same, nothing has changed, we will still be all that.... why wouldn't we be? We did what was right for us...

Washington vs. Texas as a conference game. Penn State vs. Nebraska in November... Compelling TV, but it is compelling because those powers were dominant in their regions, and when they would meet at year end in a bowl it settled things. Now it is just the NFL light... It won't become that overnight, but make no mistake where it is headed. This is not all NU's fault mind you, but don't pretend you didn't play a major role and history will note it for better or worse.

Well gents, I can honestly and sincerely say I am very sorry to see you go. I understand why you are ending the longest uninterupted streak in all of college football. I liked having you to Lawrence for the last, well, my entire life, my dad's life, my grandpa's life, and even my great grandpa's life (he was not a KU fan, though). I do not harken back to leather helmets, the wedge, or think all change is bad. I think this one sucks. Mizzou looks to be with us still for now. I hate them, and for all the right reasons. I hope they don't go to the Big 10. Not because I wish them ill will, which of course I do, but because them leaving would dramatically reduce all the things I like about college football even more. I LOVE to play them, LOVE to beat them, and if we never lost to them it would be no fun when we win. But now, in the end, this is all about money. If money is all it is, you need to pay the players (why don't they get their cut for being flown all around everywhere, seems like a scholarship isn't such a fair shake now), ditch the tax exempt status (this ain't charity, boys), and just wait til the shine comes off and college football is just the NFL minor leagues. That takes time to manifest itself, a long time even. Great traditions die hard and a lot of change is good (like the Huskerboard, nice tool we have here...) But please know that these changes will continue the evolution of the nature of sport. This one goes into making College Football even more a regular business. Impossible to argue that it doesn't, as no serious commentators try.

I wish you all no ill will. I love the Huskers, I will miss them, I understand about the Big 12 not working out and wish you all well. Next time I am in Lawrence and in the Big 6 room at the Eldridge Hotel, I will reflect on the changing face of college sports, about how it is changing for the worse. About how I won't see my friends to the north coming around anymore. The 3 hour drives didn't have enough money in them, now it is 8 hour drives and flights... like in the NFL...

Good luck with your new conference. I do hope it works out for Huskers, and more importantly, for college athletics as a whole. I hope for all our sakes the next 100 years will be as rewarding as this last 100...

As an MU fan, I couldn't agree with you more. I don't blame Nebraska for going to the Big 10, and I'm certain MU would have made the leap if we had an invite. That being said, I do agree that we are seeing the death of College Football as we know it, and that makes me sad. I too prefer college sports to professional because of the reasons you mention, and many of those reasons are going away.

All in all the breakup of the Big 12 stinks. I wish it wasn't happening this way, but it is. I hope a lot of the Big 12 schools can play out of conference.

This was a great post, and helps illustrate why KU fans will be the ones I will miss the most from the Big 8/12. We share a border, and Nebraskans and Kansans are so much alike. Y'all are good people.

The thing about the money is exactly right. College football is a billions-of-dollars-a-year business now. None of us let that genii out of the bottle, but now that it's out, it isn't going back in. Nebraska happens to be in a position where we can ride the money wave thanks to our football tradition. Kansas only differs from us in that you guys focused on basketball rather than football, but the money wasn't in basketball. Football is king, and that's why we're here.

I have no doubt we'll do everything we can to schedule you guys OOC if there is no Kansas/Big 10 miracle out there somewhere, but even still, it just won't be the same.