Nebraska Traditions/Songs/Lore?

Lunch down at the Manhattan Deli in the Haymarket is great for a Nebraska invention (the Reuben). After that, most salt-of-the-earth Nebraskans enjoy a steak without much seasoning, a side-salad and a baked potato like you'd find at the VFW in Lexington. We don't have a lot of quirky food.

As for coming for a game, better make it the Texas one so you can truly see what you will be getting a taste of in the future.

As for the ethnicity. Lincoln is predominantly white, true. Drive out to Lexington and other parts of the state and our Hispanic populations are far exceeding the Caucasians. I saw a school trip from Lexington Public down at the stadium and saw only one white kid out of about 80.

Just wait until you see this absolutely embarrassing stupid, dorky piece of sh!t mascot that is known as Lil Red.

It should be called Lil Retard

I rather enjoy Lil' Red.

i second that..he is funny to watch..he is better than the village people version of herbie we have had lately

Lunch down at the Manhattan Deli in the Haymarket is great for a Nebraska invention (the Reuben). After that, most salt-of-the-earth Nebraskans enjoy a steak without much seasoning, a side-salad and a baked potato like you'd find at the VFW in Lexington. We don't have a lot of quirky food.

As for coming for a game, better make it the Texas one so you can truly see what you will be getting a taste of in the future.

As for the ethnicity. Lincoln is predominantly white, true. Drive out to Lexington and other parts of the state and our Hispanic populations are far exceeding the Caucasians. I saw a school trip from Lexington Public down at the stadium and saw only one white kid out of about 80.

I guess I meant the year of your first season in the Big Ten, which I understand to be 2011. We may, I'm not sure, just catch a game in Lincoln this year instead of going to an Ohio State game (we go to one away game a year).

Ohio State also doesn't have that "one crazy weird awesome grub" place like many universities do. It may be more prominent in small college towns. And I am more than happy with a good steak, which I can only assume is better out there than here (NYC). Actually, if you want a laugh, when NYC restaurants that aren't steak only places have steak on the menu, it is usually skirt steak or hanger steak. WTF? At least NYC invented the porterhouse. :) I would have thought the Reuben was an NYC or Chicago thing. Good to know. :)

The true origin of the Reuben is a bit contested. Folklore has it that it was invented in an Omaha hotel. There are historical society holdings from around the turn of the century that show the Reuben Sandwich in Omaha and Lincoln eateries. Regardless, Manhattan Deli makes their own corned beef and offers a killer Reuben. Their beef and barley soup is a wicked combination with the half soup half sandwich combo.

As someone who understands the beef business well enough, most of the top prime meat ends up in NYC. As such, the ridiculously expensive steak-only restaurants in NYC are sure to serve a tasty steak. Steaks here are usually Select or Choice, cooked well and garnished sparingly. More working-man's dish than fine dining 100 dollar meals but serviceable and great tasting. The Steak House isn't much to look at but is good enough. The standard here is generally held as Misty's Steak House. There is one downtown but the best one to go to is in the Havelock district (used to be it's own small town) with some great decor including Husker memorabilia and old football stuff you wouldn't want to miss. I remember dropping 50 per person on steaks and whiskey last time I was there, so expect to pay accordingly. Make reservations. Still, some small bars and restaurants in small-town Nebraska probably offer better beef than you'll find in Lincoln. You won't find better hospitality than a Nebraska farmer dropping a steak bigger than your plate down in front of you however. I'd imagine most on this board can recall such an event.

A Runza is NOT a quirky food??????

You don't have to go all the way out to Mexington. All you have to do is set foot in York or Grand Island-it seems that there's not much left out there besides illegals

Oh yeah-and tornadoes

How about you come to a game and just witness the pageantry and glory and heavenly goodness you will find stepping into the most glorious stadium in the world, sitting next to fan that dislikes your team very much but will say please and thank you. And having your team in a 3rd in 10 down and 3 in the forth while your quarterback is trying to bark calls that no one hears while they are in the snake pit of south stadium. Might want to send your coach an e-mail too, don't let your team out onto the field before the tunnel walk if you don't want them to have to change jock straps before kick-off. RIGHT

(By the way guys, the shoe thing? Done way before at other colleges)

One thing I'm surprised no one has even mentioned yet, outside of it being in post signatures...

There's a statement that every Husker fan knows (or should know). Its kind of like our creed:

Not the Victory but the Action

Not the Goal but the Game

In the Deed the Glory.

there was a nice article on the history/origins of it just last year. http://www.huskerextra.com/articles/2009/05/26/football/doc4a160dc642a9f706654654.txt

A couple other random things,

Maybe in the "lore" category would be Brook Berringer. I don't know how much those outside of Nebraska football remember of him. It would be a downer to go over the story in this thread but if you're curious you can google or YouTube his name. His #18 is still considered sacred by some.

A positve and a potential negative:

As fans, while we certainly aren't saints at home games it seems like every year there's at least one article written by a scribe or a blogger for a visiting opponent that goes on and on about what gracious hosts we are. We hear it every year. Clapping and offering words of encouragment as the other team leaves the field is a tradition. Win or lose. Regardless of the opponent and how much we may hate them.

How can this be a negative? We tend to have a bit of an ego when it comes to the reputation of our fans. and we've clearly rubbed Missouri/CU/KSU fans the wrong way on this as they all seem to be in agreement that they're sick of it. Its possible that some Big Ten fans may also become sick of it someday. Though something tells me it will just help us fit in with our new League of Friends. :)

One thing is certain: you guys fit right in.

I am sure at some point I will find a reason to have distaste with Nebraska about something. You'll assume a certain "identity" that others in the conference will dislike you for (you already have it, we just don't know). I'll ask the Iowans. :)

A Runza is NOT a quirky food??????

Touche, Runza is like the Upper Peninsula of Michigan Pasties, but actually good.

So if I still worked at Huskervision.. which I don't... but if I did. I would use a different song off the same unnamed source that I got the first music. I would bring in the Husker greats over the years and have them each recite one line each of the prayer, their highlights from years past showing as they recite it. And start the "day by day" with out current huskers in the locker room like it is in the video now.

Too bad I don't work there any more... stupid graduation.

That. Would. Be. Freaking. Awesome!

Any connections in HuskerVision?