UT Board of Regents will meet on Tuesday about conference re-alignment

Nexus

The answer is ... BOOM!

Here's a quote from Kirk Bohls (respected reporter) in the Austin American Statesman's website this afternoon:

A highly-placed official from a Big 12 school confirmed Friday that Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will join the Pac-10 Conference once formal offers are made to them, but said that Texas A&M officials remain on the fence between joining the Pac-10 or the SEC.

“The decision has been made,” the official told the American-Statesman. “We’re bringing everybody to the Pac-10 but A&M.”

And the Aggies are "sitting on the fence".

The entire story can be read at: http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2010/06/11/official_ut_tec.html

I'm not willing to say that if Kirk Bohls has it, then it's a done deal. But he has an excellent track record in these parts.

I'm reading elsewhere that the Texas decision makers are split between Big Ten and Pac Ten.

Id be surprised if UT goes North instead of West

I'm by no means considering anything a "done deal". Just sharing what I've read, and PBC from WildcatReport.com has been on this since early May.

The Big Ten is the better option.

I'm reading elsewhere that the Texas decision makers are split between Big Ten and Pac Ten.

Id be surprised if UT goes North instead of West

I'm by no means considering anything a "done deal". Just sharing what I've read, and PBC from WildcatReport.com has been on this since early May.

The Big Ten is the better option.

It terms of dollars and academics, but politically and geographically, its all Pac X

Not for Texas. Too much money coming in for them to share it or take a chance of losing control of the conference. Big ten would not allow them to run roughshod over the conference, with SC falling, it is a perfect time to move to the Pac 10.

Apparently A&M (not unexpectedly) has been the holdup all along. Now, the other four have given the Ags 72 hours to make up their collective minds. It looks like this has turned into an intense internal fight at A&M with the administration split between heading east or west. If A&M does head east, that's a glimmer of hope for Baylor, but if I were in Waco I wouldn't be buying tickets for west coast games just yet as Kansas and Utah could be much more desirable partners and while the other Texas schools won't oppose Baylor, they certainly won't fight hard at all to get the Bears into the Pac-X conference.

And if I can be blunt here for a second, Huskers....

I really, really think that you are putting too much stock in what you call Texas' desire for "control". Of course it's nice to be the 500 pound gorilla. But if Texas has shown one thing over the years, be it in athletics, academics, or whatever, it will head for the money. As I look out over the campus from my office window, I see building after building that was donated by rich exes, each named after that ex...each donated for a purpose NOT determined by the Board of Regents. In other words, if you're willing to throw money at UT, then The University will gladly accept it...with whatever strings are attached.

A control-freak university would never stand for that.

It will be truly classic if aTm gives Texas the finger and goes to the SEC.

Classic isn't the word. The Earth will truly shake around this place and A&M will find itself an outcast, not only in the athletic universe of this state, but also politically and academically.

That's a high price to pay....I'm hoping too high.

No kidding, do you think the commies built a wall around Berlin? These people will pull a strip of Louisiana down and wrap it around College Station.

Apparently A&M (not unexpectedly) has been the holdup all along. Now, the other four have given the Ags 72 hours to make up their collective minds. It looks like this has turned into an intense internal fight at A&M with the administration split between heading east or west. If A&M does head east, that's a glimmer of hope for Baylor, but if I were in Waco I wouldn't be buying tickets for west coast games just yet as Kansas and Utah could be much more desirable partners and while the other Texas schools won't oppose Baylor, they certainly won't fight hard at all to get the Bears into the Pac-X conference.

And if I can be blunt here for a second, Huskers....

I really, really think that you are putting too much stock in what you call Texas' desire for "control". Of course it's nice to be the 500 pound gorilla. But if Texas has shown one thing over the years, be it in athletics, academics, or whatever, it will head for the money. As I look out over the campus from my office window, I see building after building that was donated by rich exes, each named after that ex...each donated for a purpose NOT determined by the Board of Regents. In other words, if you're willing to throw money at UT, then The University will gladly accept it...with whatever strings are attached.

A control-freak university would never stand for that.

Let me blunt here for a second, money=power. The reason you guys didnt want the Big12 network is due to the fact you wanted to keep the money to yourself, which gives you the power.

Oh, I don't see it happening because of the political issues. I still think it would be funny since, no offense, you deserve it. I'd go down and help them move to the SEC, in fact.

It's kind of interesting...now that the deed is (practically) done, we're starting to see the "why did it happen" stories on local TV stations. And they're actually mentioning the argument between Nebraska and U.T. over TV money. They're even saying that U.T.'s refusal to provide guarantee the rest of the conference a particular share was the reason that Nebraska went conference-shopping in January.

As for the ags, they won't need your help to move them to the SEC. We've already got a lot of tar and feathers standing by, just in case! :koolaid2: