UT Board of Regents will meet on Tuesday about conference re-alignment

Nexus

Let me blunt here for a second, money=power. The reason you guys didnt want the Big12 network is due to the fact you wanted to keep the money to yourself, which gives you the power.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ................. yea.

You have to remember, these are severe capitalists down here. From their perspective, they didn't want their product to be (this is NOT my opinion) diluted. They saw UT athletics as a more valuable commodity on its own than it would be packaged with the rest of the league. Given that kind of attitude, there's no way the Big 12 could have lasted. The local news reports I referenced earlier are saying just that, that it was U.T.'s refusal to share TV revenue that started this entire mess.

Let me blunt here for a second, money=power. The reason you guys didnt want the Big12 network is due to the fact you wanted to keep the money to yourself, which gives you the power.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ................. yea.

You have to remember, these are severe capitalists down here. From their perspective, they didn't want their product to be (this is NOT my opinion) diluted. They saw UT athletics as a more valuable commodity on its own than it would be packaged with the rest of the league. Given that kind of attitude, there's no way the Big 12 could have lasted. The local news reports I referenced earlier are saying just that, that it was U.T.'s refusal to share TV revenue that started this entire mess.

I have no problem with capitalist's as a matter of fact i love them. But in a conference it has to be a capitalist conference not a grouping of everyone looking out for themselves. There never was any unity between the SWC and the Big8, without that it was doomed from the start.

IBut if Texas has shown one thing over the years, be it in athletics, academics, or whatever, it will head for the money.

If it's strictly a money situation; then the Big Ten has a checkmate on that.

Under the current contracts, yes. But this thing to be negotiated out west with Fox will be an amazing thing. If it wasn't....this entire mess wouldn't have happened. Oh well, we'll see.

It will be truly classic if aTm gives Texas the finger and goes to the SEC.

Classic isn't the word. The Earth will truly shake around this place and A&M will find itself an outcast, not only in the athletic universe of this state, but also politically and academically.

That's a high price to pay....I'm hoping too high.

No kidding, do you think the commies built a wall around Berlin? These people will pull a strip of Louisiana down and wrap it around College Station.

Mike, I think you (and Texas in general) are very much underestimating the image that the rest of college football is getting about Texas right now. There is NO REASON to blow up the Big 12. There was no reason to drive Nebraska out, but you did it anyway. Remember the public image hit Nebraska took after firing Solich? Texas is in for one of these, especially if A&M parts ways with you guys.

Why do you think, with the strong ties between A&M and the Longhorns, A&M would even fathom leaving? I will guarantee you that if A&M goes to the SEC, they will explain in no uncertain terms why they left you, and it won't be pretty. It'll consist of a description of a school less interested in being a partner and more interested in being an overlord, and it'll go on from there. Perlman and Osborne used kid gloves today describing Texas machinations that forced us to leave. A&M will let you have it with both barrels.

Sure, you'll recover from a hit like that. But it will not be forgotten. Just be ready to deal with that, because it's coming. Read less of Chip Brown and more of the national media and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Under the current contracts, yes. But this thing to be negotiated out west with Fox will be an amazing thing. If it wasn't....this entire mess wouldn't have happened. Oh well, we'll see.

I imagine that even beyond they'll be the same. Fox owns 49 or 51% of the BTN. Fox also owns DirecTV which is one of the reasons why the BTN is so accessible on DirecTV. Furthermore, the viewership on the West Coast will never match that east of the Mississippi. Therefore, $ will always favor the BTN in this matter.

Mike, I think you (and Texas in general) are very much underestimating the image that the rest of college football is getting about Texas right now. There is NO REASON to blow up the Big 12. There was no reason to drive Nebraska out, but you did it anyway. Remember the public image hit Nebraska took after firing Solich? Texas is in for one of these, especially if A&M parts ways with you guys.

Why do you think, with the strong ties between A&M and the Longhorns, A&M would even fathom leaving? I will guarantee you that if A&M goes to the SEC, they will explain in no uncertain terms why they left you, and it won't be pretty. It'll consist of a description of a school less interested in being a partner and more interested in being an overlord, and it'll go on from there. Perlman and Osborne used kid gloves today describing Texas machinations that forced us to leave. A&M will let you have it with both barrels.

Sure, you'll recover from a hit like that. But it will not be forgotten. Just be ready to deal with that, because it's coming. Read less of Chip Brown and more of the national media and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Good points, yes, but....

That image you speak of is, IMHO, in the eyes of the fans. Please tell me of the University president who today would not like to be in the position that Texas is, that of picking your conference. As to Nebraska, it simply could not live with the revenue as it was structured by the conference. Did Texas have a large part in that? Oh yea. Did Texas refuse to yield its TV rights for a Big 12 network? Oh yea. Here in Austin we have an administration of capitalists who play hardball. If they really want to do something, they will do it.

I'm not defending it....I'm just saying that's how it is.

For example...the press conference this afternoon where Nebraska was so ... unfriendly ... to U.T.? It didn't even make the afternoon newscasts here in Austin and landed at the bottom of the local paper's home page. To the credit of the Statesman, it seems to have done a good job of describing the TV issues with Nebraska, but they're buried at the bottom of the copy.

As to A&M....chripes, that's a complicated picture. I'm going to assume that you've never been to College Station and then to Austin. If so, then this is for those who haven't. I cannot imagine two schools that have been so tied together over the years, yet have such different cultures, from the student body to the profs, to the administration. A&M could indeed be any SEC school (well, any SEC school with a 2000 member military detachment!). U.T. could be any Pacific coast school. They're that different. I'm convinced that this ongoing tension between the two is responsible for the start of the run on A&M by the SEC, but it certainly isn't the only reason. I have to ask myself, why would the SEC want Texas A&M? The athletic program is in the hole on both the money front and its strength in football, at least in recent years. It's pretty obvious that Gene Stallings (A&M regent and former Bama coach) is driving A&M toward the SEC. And the SEC would LOVE to get into the Texas market, both for TV as well as recruiting. I don't think the SEC wants the house...it wants the lot the house was built on.

And of course, there's the matter of school pride. There's no way on God's Green Earth that A&M would ever want to be seen as following t.u. (their name for U.T.). What better way to show up those people in Austin once and for all than to re-establish yourself in a new conference! That's the emotional response to what's happened. It may not be the best one.

For as far as "both barrels" are concerned, you have to remember a couple of things about Texas (the University) and Texas (the state). I believe U.T. (and I'm not saying this is the right attitude to have) really does not care what anyone at A&M thinks about U.T. policies. Secondly, in six months, Texas A&M will have to go before the state legislature to plead its case for its budget for the upcoming biennium. Football is kind of important to Texas' legislators. Yea, and Chicago had a fire.

I would not want to be the A&M officials who go before the legislature, having just opened up the State of Texas to increased recruiting by a host of powerful SEC schools and having abandoned one hundred years of tradition...a tradition that A&M celebrates each and every time an Aggie sings the Aggie War Hymn (the school fight song). If I had to bet tonight, I think A&M will be flying west, not east, when all is said and done.

As you can tell, I'm torn here. I'm the first member of my family to attend the University of Texas. All the rest...you guessed it, A&M. I too was accepted to A&M. And I can sing the complete war hymn...even when drunk...in fact, usually when drunk!

And Chip? Until two days ago, I had never gone to orangebloods.com...honest. But while he appears to mangle the details on occasion, by and large the thrust of the little that I've seen appears to hit pretty close to the mark.

As much as I really look forward to seeing Texas play the west coast schools (as I did in 1994 and was disappointed) I will miss the Nebraska fans who traveled to Austin for the games here. At no time did I hear a classless comment from a single one and this feeling has been echoed time and time again in our local media as well.

But back to our topic at hand. No reason to blow up the Big 12? Of course there was and it's money. Money. Money. Money. Colorado jumped to make sure Baylor had no chance at getting into the Pac 10 and the coming TV contracts (as if that could have ever happened). Nebraska was (rightly) mad when it saw Texas sucking up every dollar bill in sight, with precious little desire to share. Texas figures that in coming years the biggest money to be had is out west. OU, OSU, and Tech want to make sure they get their share of the pie. Why do you think they've all scheduled meetings that start AFTER the U.T. meeting on Tuesday?

Yes, Nebraska's mad. And once again, rightly so. It had to leave its hundred-year home (or what was left of it) and go in search of greener pastures. No, it wasn't just the money. It wasn't just the move of the championship game. It wasn't just the move of the HQ. And it certainly wasn't the score of any one game, or any one second put back on the clock. But if my diploma said Nebraska instead of Texas....by God I'd be mad too.

It's sad. It's business. And what's really sad is that as time goes on the business of college football is more about business and less and less about football. And that's the case no matter what school your attend...or simply love.

Maybe I'll start following U.T.'s swim team. At least the tickets are cheaper! :facepalm:

(Please note...I have edited this post numerous times. It was very hard to write.)

Good stuff. Not a lot to disagree with, just quibbles here and there that amount to nothing. I think what we're seeing from your posts and mine is that Nebraska and Texas simply have philosophical differences that steer each school in different directions. Likely the marriage of NU and UT in the Big 12 was never destined to last. It was a lot of fun for a while, and I'm sure we'll have an epic clash on 10/16/10, but after that, I doubt either school loses much sleep over not being in the same conference. We're just not alike, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Good stuff. Not a lot to disagree with, just quibbles here and there that amount to nothing. I think what we're seeing from your posts and mine is that Nebraska and Texas simply have philosophical differences that steer each school in different directions. Likely the marriage of NU and UT in the Big 12 was never destined to last. It was a lot of fun for a while, and I'm sure we'll have an epic clash on 10/16/10, but after that, I doubt either school loses much sleep over not being in the same conference. We're just not alike, and there's nothing wrong with that.

My parting words for UT and OU are this.

"Meet us in Pasadena in January." thumbsup.gif

• Fire 1

Good points, yes, but....

That image you speak of is, IMHO, in the eyes of the fans. Please tell me of the University president who today would not like to be in the position that Texas is, that of picking your conference. As to Nebraska, it simply could not live with the revenue as it was structured by the conference. Did Texas have a large part in that? Oh yea. Did Texas refuse to yield its TV rights for a Big 12 network? Oh yea. Here in Austin we have an administration of capitalists who play hardball. If they really want to do something, they will do it.

I'm not defending it....I'm just saying that's how it is.

For example...the press conference this afternoon where Nebraska was so ... unfriendly ... to U.T.? It didn't even make the afternoon newscasts here in Austin and landed at the bottom of the local paper's home page. To the credit of the Statesman, it seems to have done a good job of describing the TV issues with Nebraska, but they're buried at the bottom of the copy.

As to A&M....chripes, that's a complicated picture. I'm going to assume that you've never been to College Station and then to Austin. If so, then this is for those who haven't. I cannot imagine two schools that have been so tied together over the years, yet have such different cultures, from the student body to the profs, to the administration. A&M could indeed be any SEC school (well, any SEC school with a 2000 member military detachment!). U.T. could be any Pacific coast school. They're that different. I'm convinced that this ongoing tension between the two is responsible for the start of the run on A&M by the SEC, but it certainly isn't the only reason. I have to ask myself, why would the SEC want Texas A&M? The athletic program is in the hole on both the money front and its strength in football, at least in recent years. It's pretty obvious that Gene Stallings (A&M regent and former Bama coach) is driving A&M toward the SEC. And the SEC would LOVE to get into the Texas market, both for TV as well as recruiting. I don't think the SEC wants the house...it wants the lot the house was built on.

And of course, there's the matter of school pride. There's no way on God's Green Earth that A&M would ever want to be seen as following t.u. (their name for U.T.). What better way to show up those people in Austin once and for all than to re-establish yourself in a new conference! That's the emotional response to what's happened. It may not be the best one.

For as far as "both barrels" are concerned, you have to remember a couple of things about Texas (the University) and Texas (the state). I believe U.T. (and I'm not saying this is the right attitude to have) really does not care what anyone at A&M thinks about U.T. policies. Secondly, in six months, Texas A&M will have to go before the state legislature to plead its case for its budget for the upcoming biennium. Football is kind of important to Texas' legislators. Yea, and Chicago had a fire.

I would not want to be the A&M officials who go before the legislature, having just opened up the State of Texas to increased recruiting by a host of powerful SEC schools and having abandoned one hundred years of tradition...a tradition that A&M celebrates each and every time an Aggie sings the Aggie War Hymn (the school fight song). If I had to bet tonight, I think A&M will be flying west, not east, when all is said and done.

As you can tell, I'm torn here. I'm the first member of my family to attend the University of Texas. All the rest...you guessed it, A&M. I too was accepted to A&M. And I can sing the complete war hymn...even when drunk...in fact, usually when drunk!

And Chip? Until two days ago, I had never gone to orangebloods.com...honest. But while he appears to mangle the details on occasion, by and large the thrust of the little that I've seen appears to hit pretty close to the mark.

As much as I really look forward to seeing Texas play the west coast schools (as I did in 1994 and was disappointed) I will miss the Nebraska fans who traveled to Austin for the games here. At no time did I hear a classless comment from a single one and this feeling has been echoed time and time again in our local media as well.

But back to our topic at hand. No reason to blow up the Big 12? Of course there was and it's money. Money. Money. Money. Colorado jumped to make sure Baylor had no chance at getting into the Pac 10 and the coming TV contracts (as if that could have ever happened). Nebraska was (rightly) mad when it saw Texas sucking up every dollar bill in sight, with precious little desire to share. Texas figures that in coming years the biggest money to be had is out west. OU, OSU, and Tech want to make sure they get their share of the pie. Why do you think they've all scheduled meetings that start AFTER the U.T. meeting on Tuesday?

Yes, Nebraska's mad. And once again, rightly so. It had to leave its hundred-year home (or what was left of it) and go in search of greener pastures. No, it wasn't just the money. It wasn't just the move of the championship game. It wasn't just the move of the HQ. And it certainly wasn't the score of any one game, or any one second put back on the clock. But if my diploma said Nebraska instead of Texas....by God I'd be mad too.

It's sad. It's business. And what's really sad is that as time goes on the business of college football is more about business and less and less about football. And that's the case no matter what school your attend...or simply love.

Maybe I'll start following U.T.'s swim team. At least the tickets are cheaper! :facepalm:

(Please note...I have edited this post numerous times. It was very hard to write.)

this is actually very well put and a extremely educated response... if only more Texans could put their arrogance behind them and have the logic you do the big xii conference could have survived