why did nebraska ignore the pac 10

2 reasons-

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

&

To avoid another Texas monopoly

Yeah that money distribution y'all had goin in the Big 12 was a complete joke. Texas and Oklahoma ran everything in that conference(mainly Texas). I'm surprised teams put up with that sham of a money sharing agreement for that long. In the Big Ten there's an even distribution so the Indianas and Northwesterns just love to see those extra dollars without even attempting to become better teams

This really didn't have as much to do with athletics as it did academics. Athletically I'm not terribly excited about the move. It just got a little harder to have a great football team. What it does for the school is staggering. We aren't anymore a Pac 10 school than Wisconsin is. That would just be weird. I don't think the teams that are being forced to scramble for a Pac 10 spot are happy to be doing it. It is just the best option left. :koolaid2:

Bingo!

UNL has always wanted to expand on the academic front and this was a once in a lifetime chance.

According to an insider from HI the PAC had interest, but they just weren't our first choice. The 10 offers us a great tv-deal, great academic opportunties via the CIC, and closer proximity to conference-members we fit in well with.

Exactly! On top of all that, other than perhaps the SEC, is there a more stable conference? Like TO said, we've got to look at this 50-100 years out. I'm not convinced this whole Pac-16 or whatever actually works out. I wouldn't want NU to again have to conference realign in 15-20 years.

As an AZ resident, I would've enjoyed it, but the ultimately, the correct decision was made.

"This really didn't have as much to do with athletics as it did academics."

*Ding ding*

Although Harvey left this particular decision up to Tom, I don't think that he would have entertained the notion of moving to the PAC 10 unless everything else were off. The Bit Ten came courting *us* and that is a huge deal. I think we were choice 2 behind Notre Dame but if the primary criteria were academics, that is not a shameful position to be in. What's really sad is that Missouri has been begging to be let in... I feel a little bad for them... but i giggle when they're not looking.

Even though they are tuff as rain.

2 reasons-

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

&

To avoid another Texas monopoly

Yeah that money distribution y'all had goin in the Big 12 was a complete joke. Texas and Oklahoma ran everything in that conference(mainly Texas). I'm surprised teams put up with that sham of a money sharing agreement for that long. In the Big Ten there's an even distribution so the Indianas and Northwesterns just love to see those extra dollars without even attempting to become better teams

If Nebraska would have stayed in the Big 12 they would not have wanted to change the way money was distributed. They were one of the teams that it benefited, so they story of Nebraska wanting to leave because of it is false.

The one gripe NU had was the feeling everything was moving south and NU had no voice. Pearlman knew the answer Texas would have when he brought out the idea of every school signing over their tv rights to the conference to prove they were committed to the Big 12. The only thing Texas is committed to is Texas.

well, i am one that does not approve of the big 10, and thought nebraska should have bolted west to the pac 10 with colorado. i was watching perlman and osborn at the regents meeting today, and not once did i get a hint of why the pac 10 was avoided. i thought they would have stated they had an interest in the pac 10, but it did not come about. i believe with southern cal on probabtion, nebraska might have been able to reach into california and done well recruiting the vast and populated state...the tv makets, lets see, in the big 10, you have detroit, chicago, columbus , indianapolis, harrisburg, madison........if nu joined the pac 10, denver, phoenix, los angles, san franciso, portland, seatlle, plus many other populated cities in california.... i walk away from osborns and perlmans decision with distaste, as i did when they hired solich..

The problem with the Puke 10 is that they are 2 time zones away from us and 3 away from EST. I can just imagine, a big game against a P-10 school and the game starts at 8:00 pm PCT. Yup thats 10:oopm here and most of us are blitzed and wake up tomorrom and can't remember what happened.

F-T-P10.

T_O_B

:bonez

Simple reason - time zones.

P10 tends to have alot of late starts, and I mean 9:30CST starts. Fans of nearly every sport would be staying up late to check out a game quite a bit, and the athletes travel would be an absolute nightmare.

For instance, a 9:30CST start for a football game. Game would be over after midnight here, and the kids would likely not even be on a plane back to Lincoln before 2-3AM (central time).

It would be absolute he** trying to travel to those games, especially for basketball.

1. In D1-A academics are unparalleled in the B10. Pac 10 is impressive (think Stanford, USC, Cal), but they don't compare to the B10 overall. The CIC membership is huge in my mind.

2. Revenue sharing, although I don't know what this looks like in the Pac 10. NU is arguably the second biggest brand name in the BXII, but they were fifth in revenue last year, meaning (IMHO) we brought more value to the table than we were receiving.

3. The Big Ten network is already in place. For some reason, Dan Beebe and the Big XII leftovers (the Little XI?) were hell bent on letting Texas have their Longhorn network.

4. Not sure the Pac 10 really wanted us?

5. Travel scenarios are even worse.

6. We would be competing against UT again for political power in the conference. The B10 are more considered equals. That's what I've heard, anyway. Time will tell us what reality is, I guess.

If the BXII were to survive with NU, Beebe would have had to grow some grapes and knock UT off their high horse. That was not going to happen. They were going to get their network and its revenue, and the rest of the conference was going to be on the outside looking in. Unacceptable. Outside of that, moving to the B10 is the best thing from a fan standpoint that could have happened (think TV if nothing else), and great for the university and state outside of athletics as well.

In the Big Ten there's an even distribution so the Indianas and Northwesterns just love to see those extra dollars without even attempting to become better teams

Hey now: those teams are trying. Northwestern with Fitzgerald may be much better than people expect very soon, and Indiana wants very badly to join the "big boys" in football. They are on the way up now (not that there was any other direction to go). I was especially impressed with my visit to Northwestern. The fans are knowledgeable and the administration is trying very hard to field a continuously winning program.