Which Big 10 school will be Neb biggest rival???

I think it is odd that you guys complain about "manufactured" rivalries. All rivalries were manufactured at some point. Recipe for rivalry:

1) Any competitive reason at all

2) Time

Really. MOST rivalries even start out of territorial proximity (OU, guys) and I don't see how it would be any different for Iowa. Clearly the people in the border region are already experiencing tensions among their family and coworkers and such. It seems like a natural rivalry to me.

You've just explained why people complain about manufactured rivalries. We have no rivalry with Iowa because we have no time invested against them. Give it five or ten years, and preferably a big loss when one of us is heading toward a good season.

You've also forgotten another key element:

3) Mutuality

There has to be a mutual feeling of rivalry on both sides or there's no rivalry. Nebraska and OU had that mutual feeling for decades, but the feeling was never mutual between Nebraska and Colorado.

I think it's crazy so many people want Iowa to be our rival. I hope these aren't the same people who hate the Colorado series being called a rivalry, because Iowa will just be Colorado Part II. Iowa fans are already bitterly jealous of Nebraska, and have been for many years now. And this is when they haven't played us in a decade! Imagine what it will be like when we are winning two out of every three games and our high and mighty fans are coming in to their stadium ruining their "tailgating" buzz. It's not going to be pretty, and the college crowd there (which makes up half of the town during school) is not that far off from CU's.

If we develop a rivalry of any sort, I sure hope it's with Penn St. Wisconsin would be second in my mind with the Alvarez connection.

Okay, I feel what you're putting down here. What's wrong with a couple of new rivalries? For me it kind of depends on how the conference will be aligned. Is there going to be an East and a West Division? If so, I think that Wisconsin would be a natural. They have the same colors. They are THE only school in their state like Nebraska. Iowa is obvious and I agree with it being Colorado II. Penn State is certainly a game I would circle on the calendar.

SUPERBUNNY

Okay, I feel what you're putting down here. What's wrong with a couple of new rivalries? For me it kind of depends on how the conference will be aligned. Is there going to be an East and a West Division? If so, I think that Wisconsin would be a natural. They have the same colors. They are THE only school in their state like Nebraska. Iowa is obvious and I agree with it being Colorado II. Penn State is certainly a game I would circle on the calendar.

SUPERBUNNY

Hey, so is Iowa! :sarcasm Sorry, Cy. And yes you did beat us last year. :angry:

I think it is odd that you guys complain about "manufactured" rivalries. All rivalries were manufactured at some point. Recipe for rivalry:

1) Any competitive reason at all

2) Time

Really. MOST rivalries even start out of territorial proximity (OU, guys) and I don't see how it would be any different for Iowa. Clearly the people in the border region are already experiencing tensions among their family and coworkers and such. It seems like a natural rivalry to me.

Nebraska fans complain about it because we've had to deal with Colorado deciding we were a rivalry without any sort of record to bring to it. Having horrible fans throwing balloons of bodily fluids, screwing with cars with Nebraska liscence plates, throwing batteries, other foreign objects in the stands or on the field during the game doesn't make a game a rivalry. If you trounce a team for decades its not a rivalry, its just them being pissed off about it while Nebraska looked at them as an automatic win on the schedule. Those days of automatic wins were gone in the late 90 and pretty much destroyed by Callahan though so who knows, it still would've taken Colorado like 35 consecutive wins to even the series. Not much of a rival in most Nebraska fan's eyes.

Mizzou did start to develop into more of one because the game actually started to have implications for winning the b12 north.

OU was historically one because the game meant winning the big 8 and had national bowl implications for a long long time. Although it pretty much died when Switzer left and turned into a game of respect and fond memories in the big 12 every other year.

Well, you will be going to Columbus eventually...

Regularly scheduled opponents become default rivals anyway, or claim they are. Our Rival is USC, but we get to hear Purdue/Stanford/BC et al toss around the R word when they beat us the previous year.

For NU it has to be Penn St. The history is there. PSU also lost their old rivalry with Pitt and has had no one since.

is anyone else hoping we schedule CU every year non-conference to save that rivalry?

I think u forgot one of the insert sarcasm signs

i think the sarcasm was evident.

also, i do not care for the sarcasm emoticon, it defeats the purpose of being sarcastic, and it does not make sense. the little sign says "insert sarcasm here," but the statement was already sarcastic, it has already been inserted.

is anyone else hoping we schedule CU every year non-conference to save that rivalry?

also, i do not care for the sarcasm emoticon, it defeats the purpose of being sarcastic, and it does not make sense. the little sign says "insert sarcasm here," but the statement was already sarcastic, it has already been inserted.

Ha true, I actually thought u were serious at first though. Like in person when someone is sarcastic, their voice inflection gives it away, but when writing its harder to convey. This one was a given though, haha but I still get confused

Ha true, I actually thought u were serious at first though. Like in person when someone is sarcastic, their voice inflection gives it away, but when writing its harder to convey. This one was a given though, haha but I still get confused

i like it...so that way i don't think your an ignorant fan from another fan base going off about how great your team is...like

"colorado is going to rock the pac 10"

if you don't put up the sign i assume your just an ignorant colorado fan ready to dump beer on me and anyone else who mildly angers you

it is true, it is hard to imitate voice inflection on the message boards, and you can never be too careful, as there are plenty of idiots out there. i thought it was worth the risk because we have had so many discussions refuting the cu-nu rivalry, and then that article about the rose bowl.

edit: maybe i should have used "???" or "?!?" or something like that to show sarcasm.

1982 is too far back for me since I was born in 1973. But that was clearly a bogus call and a legit beef for Nebraska.

First time I ever heard or saw this from a PSU fan. This needs to be a sticky post.

Meh, I want a clean game for just this reason. I don't want to be second guessed for the next 30 years. I can think of a LOT of crappy arse calls that have cost us HUGE over the last how many seasons prior to the instant replay. It sucks. Paterno has always pushed for instant replay and for good reason. I don't like when it goes against us, it shouldn't go against our opponents, either.

Seeing that play...yeah, that sucks for sure.

This play is still, in my mind, the absolute worst call in all of college football.... ever. I'm 38 and have seen a lot of bad calls, but that one takes the cake. Forget the 93 FSU game, and all of the non holding calls in the big 12, etc. That Penn St. call in 82 was the worst. It cost us a National Championship and it was so blatant, that many of the old school voters in 94 came out and openly stated that was the reason they voted for NU to take the NC alone, even though PSU was deserving that year.