Which Big 10 school will be Neb biggest rival???

bcs was started in 98...or the bcs as we know it...

You are correct. Back in '94 it was called the "Bowl Alliance" and the Big Ten and the Pac 10 didn't belong, because they didn't want to give up the Rose Bowl traditions. Found this:

The BCS National Championship Game is the final college football bowl game of the year, rounding out the annual Bowl Championship Series. This Bowl Championship Series title game determines which college football team will become that year's NCAA Division I FBA National Football Champion. The BCS title game was first played following the 1998 college football regular season when the Pac-10 and Big Ten conferences and the Rose Bowl joined with the Bowl Alliance to form the Bowl Championship Series.

I guess it was the '94 championship that helped push the Big Ten and Pac 10 into the Bowl Alliance to form the BCS.

I think it is odd that you guys complain about "manufactured" rivalries. All rivalries were manufactured at some point. Recipe for rivalry:

1) Any competitive reason at all

2) Time

Really. MOST rivalries even start out of territorial proximity (OU, guys) and I don't see how it would be any different for Iowa. Clearly the people in the border region are already experiencing tensions among their family and coworkers and such. It seems like a natural rivalry to me.

Nebraska fans complain about it because we've had to deal with Colorado deciding we were a rivalry without any sort of record to bring to it. Having horrible fans throwing balloons of bodily fluids, screwing with cars with Nebraska liscence plates, throwing batteries, other foreign objects in the stands or on the field during the game doesn't make a game a rivalry. If you trounce a team for decades its not a rivalry, its just them being pissed off about it while Nebraska looked at them as an automatic win on the schedule. Those days of automatic wins were gone in the late 90 and pretty much destroyed by Callahan though so who knows, it still would've taken Colorado like 35 consecutive wins to even the series. Not much of a rival in most Nebraska fan's eyes.

Mizzou did start to develop into more of one because the game actually started to have implications for winning the b12 north.

OU was historically one because the game meant winning the big 8 and had national bowl implications for a long long time. Although it pretty much died when Switzer left and turned into a game of respect and fond memories in the big 12 every other year.

I think it is odd that you guys complain about "manufactured" rivalries. All rivalries were manufactured at some point. Recipe for rivalry:

2) Time

Really. MOST rivalries even start out of territorial proximity (OU, guys) and I don't see how it would be any different for Iowa. Clearly the people in the border region are already experiencing tensions among their family and coworkers and such. It seems like a natural rivalry to me.

Nebraska fans complain about it because we've had to deal with Colorado deciding we were a rivalry without any sort of record to bring to it. Having horrible fans throwing balloons of bodily fluids, screwing with cars with Nebraska liscence plates, throwing batteries, other foreign objects in the stands or on the field during the game doesn't make a game a rivalry. If you trounce a team for decades its not a rivalry, its just them being pissed off about it while Nebraska looked at them as an automatic win on the schedule. Those days of automatic wins were gone in the late 90 and pretty much destroyed by Callahan though so who knows, it still would've taken Colorado like 35 consecutive wins to even the series. Not much of a rival in most Nebraska fan's eyes.

Mizzou did start to develop into more of one because the game actually started to have implications for winning the b12 north.

OU was historically one because the game meant winning the big 8 and had national bowl implications for a long long time. Although it pretty much died when Switzer left and turned into a game of respect and fond memories in the big 12 every other year.

yep...cuz beating mizzou 30 some times wasn't good enough for them to go away... :bigredn:

No offence, but i think its stupid to think a rivalry depends on the amount of wins and loses each team has against eachother. Its you feeling about that particular team. It doesnt need to be hate either. NO hate with oklahoma.

i don't hate oklahoma either...i kinda like kansas now with gill...iowa state USUALLY doesn't bother me...colorado is just colorado...but yes...i think the neb-mizzou is a rivalry...but kansas just isn't that...you can't show up and get beat for three decades in a row and really think that the game has a real connection to it...they have beat us, what, twice in the last 40 years...i don't call that a rivalry...i call that just another game

1982 is too far back for me since I was born in 1973. But that was clearly a bogus call and a legit beef for Nebraska.

First time I ever heard or saw this from a PSU fan. This needs to be a sticky post.

Meh, I want a clean game for just this reason. I don't want to be second guessed for the next 30 years. I can think of a LOT of crappy arse calls that have cost us HUGE over the last how many seasons prior to the instant replay. It sucks. Paterno has always pushed for instant replay and for good reason. I don't like when it goes against us, it shouldn't go against our opponents, either.

Seeing that play...yeah, that sucks for sure.

A smart PSU'er...but that was ages ago. Even before replay. I think the funny thing about that call is that the dumbass ref was waving his arms calling it a catch before the ball was even securely in the receiver's hands, let alone it being out-of-bounds. Must've had one big bet on that game. But I think a rivalry is just dumb when you initially start a new conference. It needs to develop. That said, It'd be cool if it was PSU or Wisconsin. We'll have to play Iowa every year anyway, so who cares about a rivalry with them.

it makes me giggle inside that we want to overlook a potential rival that most of us stare in the face. Every. Single. Day. A rivalry is about so much more than wins and losses, prestige of the programs involved, what have you. I dont really want a rivalry with iowa, and it seems many here dont either...which leads me to believe thats precisely why the iowa game every year will be the one we really dont want to lose. That will sting the most. That will create the biggest (and easiest) road trip stadium takeover tailgating blah blah blah. Its so freaking simple. Its gonna be iowa. Ill try to ignore it just the same as some of you...but just wait and see ten years from now the hoopla the neb-iowa game will bring every year. Oh......and those that dont think that the mizzou series was, if not already a full blown rival, heating up to boiling should have taken a trip to columbia for a game. What a blast and great competive atmosphere.

Rivalries will make themselves known. Clearly Mich and tOSU are already taken but we considered OU a rivalry even though they had Texas.

We all know rivalries will invent themselves, we're just being impatient as to what will come out of the woodwork in the years ahead.

IMO:

Iowa- I don't live in Omaha or Nebraska so I don't have to deal with any Iowa fans. I think because of that I really don't feel anything towards them. So to me this does have a kind of Colorado-esque feeling to it. Only a "rivalry" because we share a border.

Wisconsin- as has been said, a rivalry of respect. the good vibes are already there. It'd be like OU without the fighting for an MNC everyear.... but that was a major part of that rivalry. Still, I look forward to this one.

PSU- for all the reasons already mentioned (1994/1982), this could be a team I think we learn to hate/respect. Two "classic" teams. It sounds like PSU has been stuck without a true rival since joining the conference, I don't want that to happen with us so maybe this is a natural fit for both programs. Also, something that hasn't really been brought up about the 2002 game were the antics by PSU fans and throwing batteries at our players. Even Paterno felt he had to apologize for it.

I've asked before if that was a one-time incident from just a couple jackasses or if that CU-like BS is a norm in Happy Valley?

i dont really know what went on in '94,

94 the Huskers won the BCS but Big Ten wasn't a part of the BCS, they didn't want to lose the Rose Bowl connection. So Penn State went undefeated, but couldn't play the Huskers, and didn't get the cool Sears Trophy

bcs was started in 98...or the bcs as we know it...

1994 still had the old bowl tie-ins. Big 8 was tied to the Orange Bowl and Penn State to the Rose Bowl.

1995 was the first year where #1 played #2 regardless of conference (minus the Big 10 and Pac 10). otherwise that year also would have been the same crap and we wouldn't have had a shot at Florida. Also iirc Eddie George and Ohio State were a third undefeated team but lost late in the season.

I remember a couple of the PSU comments from the 1994 OB vs Miami

-After Schlesinger's first TD the announcers show the Husker sideline: "...a smile for Brook Berringer, and hope for Tom Osborne" then Chris Collinsworth: "and we're sorry we can't give you Joe Paterno's reaction".

-During the Welcome Home celebration at the Devaney Center, i think it was Rob Zatechka who said that after Schlesinger's 2nd TD he "felt bad for Penn State... for about 5 seconds".

2) Time

What I'm getting at when I complain about the manufactured 'rivalry' with Colorado is that when the big 12 was formed they just took OU out of our thanksgiving slot, put colorado in and said 'There's your new archrival'. then we've heard over and over again things like Cu is our new rival and we better get used to it if we know what's good for us. Things like that have been in sports media for 15 years now.Cu had never been a rivalry like THAT to US. Personally I got sick of hearing about it. OU was always the game I circled on my calander because it was special to me. Nothing against CU, but it was OU that I grew watching on thanksgiving day with my family.

Think of it like this...what if the B10 suddenly canceled your annual game with Michigan and substituted....oh, let's say Iowa State. Then told you repeatedly to get over it and just accept the new "Rival'. It wouldn't seem right would it?

Just my 2 cents.

• Fire 1