Happy Jayhawk....

jayhawk

I can see it's pretty pointless to talk sense when there is so much Texas hatred going around. Maybe in another months I'll try again...

Everyone seems to think ISU, KU, KSU, Baylor, etc are being jobbed by this whole deal. And maybe they are. But the reality of the matter is, they've had numerous chances to stand up for themselve with us along side of them and they've refused to do so. This is the product of their shortcomings. Do I feel bad they're being jobbed? Slightly. Do I regret it? No

here is the sad thing, this is still way better than the alternative for them. that just shows how powerless and weak they are without TU. there is a reason they are handing over the money CU and NU will have to pay for early departure. they may seem weak and powerless with TU, but it is nothing compared to what they are without TU. it just is the way things are, most conferences believe in share and share alike, the big 12-2 does not have the altruistic streak, and that happens to work for everyone. is it greedy (and i believe abhorrent)? yes. but is it mutually beneficial for all involve? again, yes.

in many ways, this is the best case scenario for them, and they actually came out alright. that is why i do not understand the resentment toward NU. i mean if they fell apart and we survived, sure, then there should be some bitterness, but they ended up a float, less power (but they never really had power, or it did not matter if they did because they were to side with TU anyway) and more money; and they avoided some second rate conference (or third rate).

I can see it's pretty pointless to talk sense when there is so much Texas hatred going around. Maybe in another months I'll try again...

Well since Texas is trying to make us seem like the criminals, how do you expect us to act? Then the lesser schools are mad at us because we aren't the ones getting jobbed by Texas. Maybe if Texas wasn't acting like a bunch of crybabies and lay the blame all on us then there wouldn't be that much hate for Texas.

Everyone seems to think ISU, KU, KSU, Baylor, etc are being jobbed by this whole deal. And maybe they are. But the reality of the matter is, they've had numerous chances to stand up for themselve with us along side of them and they've refused to do so. This is the product of their shortcomings. Do I feel bad they're being jobbed? Slightly. Do I regret it? No

here is the sad thing, this is still way better than the alternative for them. that just shows how powerless and weak they are without TU. there is a reason they are handing over the money CU and NU will have to pay for early departure. they may seem weak and powerless with TU, but it is nothing compared to what they are without TU. it just is the way things are, most conferences believe in share and share alike, the big 12-2 does not have the altruistic streak, and that happens to work for everyone. is it greedy (and i believe abhorrent)? yes. but is it mutually beneficial for all involve? again, yes.

in many ways, this is the best case scenario for them, and they actually came out alright. that is why i do not understand the resentment toward NU. i mean if they fell apart and we survived, sure, then there should be some bitterness, but they ended up a float, less power (but they never really had power, or it did not matter if they did because they were to side with TU anyway) and more money; and they avoided some second rate conference (or third rate).

For the immediate, foreseeable future...yes...this is the best they can come up with. However, consider how much stronger and more stable they and the conference would have been had they had the foresight to grab their cajones and say No to Texas. I imagine had they done that long time ago and Texas put in its place, this whole conference expansion thing would never had become a topic.

For the immediate, foreseeable future...yes...this is the best they can come up with. However, consider how much stronger and more stable they and the conference would have been had they had the foresight to grab their cajones and say No to Texas. I imagine had they done that long time ago and Texas put in its place, this whole conference expansion thing would never had become a topic.

i wonder that a lot, but i also wonder if the teams did stand up to TU, would TU have just left earlier? i mean, this past decade has seen them turn into a goliath in regards to political power within the conference and monetary means to control the conference. i just wonder if in the long run their decisions to side with TU actually did pay off, because for them, the most important thing was to keep TU around.

edit: TU has always been good at political posturing, but now they have the funds to just do whatever they want, including to go independent.

I hate to be the one who breaks the news jayhawk, but Texas is going to roll in a lot more money than Kansas. They wouldn't have agreed to stay in the Big 12(10?) otherwise...and deep down you have to know you are now Texas' bitch

Yankees roll in a lot more money than everyne else too. It is the economics of it. Texas has all the cards, they have the big markets, the most alum, it just is what it is. I can see why they don't want to share evenly, the other schools don't bring as much to the table. Glad you all are happy with your move, but we still have schools to run and sports teams to field and our revenue will be going way up. All of us can start our own network, not just UT. They just happen to be able to be able to make it viable all by themselves. Good for them. Why shouldn't Longhorn fans have their own netowrk if they can find enough people to watch? Nothing is stopping ISU, but who will watch? I havent seen the details, but if ISU gets $17 Million and you all get $20 Million for football, given what just went down, I think ISU takes that deal and smiles BIG.

I hate to be the one who breaks the news jayhawk, but Texas is going to roll in a lot more money than Kansas. They wouldn't have agreed to stay in the Big 12(10?) otherwise...and deep down you have to know you are now Texas' bitch

Yankees roll in a lot more money than everyne else too. It is the economics of it. Texas has all the cards, they have the big markets, the most alum, it just is what it is. I can see why they don't want to share evenly, the other schools don't bring as much to the table. Glad you all are happy with your move, but we still have schools to run and sports teams to field and our revenue will be going way up. All of us can start our own network, not just UT. They just happen to be able to be able to make it viable all by themselves. Good for them. Why shouldn't Longhorn fans have their own netowrk if they can find enough people to watch? Nothing is stopping ISU, but who will watch? I havent seen the details, but if ISU gets $17 Million and you all get $20 Million for football, given what just went down, I think ISU takes that deal and smiles BIG.

Just so long as the four of you have your exit strategies planned out before the implosion.

yeah, and that is why baseball is such a popular sport...

Whatever the other schools do to rationalize their decisions in order to be able to look themselves in the mirror is fine by me. Don't hold your breath waiting for distributions in the amounts that they're floating around, however. Those figures were fed to the media as part of an illusion of prosperity that they're currently trying to convey will exist in a post NU/CU Big 12. By the time the truth is known, this story will no longer be in the nation's consciousness and the lie will have served its purpose. In short: Don't believe those dollar figures until you start cashing the checks.

Whatever the other schools do to rationalize their decisions in order to be able to look themselves in the mirror is fine by me. Don't hold your breath waiting for distributions in the amounts that they're floating around, however. Those figures were fed to the media as part of an illusion of prosperity that they're currently trying to convey will exist in a post NU/CU Big 12. By the time the truth is known, this story will no longer be in the nation's consciousness and the lie will have served its purpose. In short: Don't believe those dollar figures until you start cashing the checks.

it seems like those numbers were thrown out to either entice TU to stay, or so TU could stay in the big 12 without admitting defeat in their pac 10 negotiations. either way, those numbers are not legitimate.

Just so long as the four of you have your exit strategies planned out before the implosion.

Our biggest issue is tha Pac 10 spot we would have gotten is now in Utah's hands, so it won't be there next time. A lot of landscape can change between now and then, but it is a fair point... We need to keep our football program improving and keep the facility improvements coming too...

I hear a lot of folks thought the Pac 10 numbers were more questionable... Not to say I know if these are legit, as I do not.

I hear a lot of folks thought the Pac 10 numbers were more questionable... Not to say I know if these are legit, as I do not.

The problem is, both Big 12 and Pac-10 were making suppositional figures. Neither conference is due to renew their contracts until 2011, so in the meantime all they can do is give schools a verbal "ballpark" figure, but in business, a verbal pledge isn't worth its salt alone.

This is why I'm skeptical of the numbers being loosely thrown around by Beebe and the media. However, it might comfort you knowing that the ACC did renegotiate their contract last month with ESPN to the tune of $155 million/yr., which breaks down to about $13 million per school. Therefore I can see a smaller Big 12 getting anywhere from $13-16 million, but again, it remains to be seen. Until then, we're left with what Beebe "thinks" you're worth versus what the TV execs who draw up the actual contracts know what you're worth.

it seems like those numbers were thrown out to either entice TU to stay, or so TU could stay in the big 12 without admitting defeat in their pac 10 negotiations. either way, those numbers are not legitimate.

Agreed! It will be interesting to see what the real TV revenue numbers will be.

I also think there is a factor that some people are missing here. NU travels really well and how is that going to effect business and tax revenue for your states? Then no CCG...might be losing out on some (not sure how much) money there. I just fail to see how the big 12 is going to double every schools revenue all of a sudden.