ISU, KSU, Mizzou, BU handing over buyout???

oh shame, so it is basically like a penalty they have to pay for making TU, OU, and aTm stay with them in that horrid conference. or is it more of a fee to be in the awe-inspiring presence of TU?

This whole thing is embarrassing. I was ashamed enough at OU for standing with Texas instead of Nebraska last week. Now, this.

It's really hard to continue being a Sooner fan with Joe Castiglione as AD and David Boren as president. There isn't a hint of ethics between the two of them.

It's sickening to me that OU and Texas, the two schools who least need the money, are sticking it to the rest of the conference for tens of millions more. I can't even believe it's happening. I've railed against Texas for so long, but OU is now in bed with them all the way. It's awful.

I hope you guys kick the sh*t out of the whole conference this year and take the Big 12 title. In fact, if it's us against you all, I'll be cheering for you all. I can't believe how greedy and unethical OU has become under Boren and Castiglione.

I wonder how Mizzou feels knowing their former AD Castiglione now extracts millions from them for the sake of Texas. What a Judas. You'd think he'd have some feeling for the school that gave him his first AD job. What a complete and utter a*shole.

• Fire 3

Golden Gopher fan, been reading this board quite extensively for the past couple weeks.

Anyway, welcome to the Big Ten.

If this news is true which I think it is, then the Big 12 is just a sad, sad conference. If I were KU or KSU I would be very tempted to tell Texas, OU, and A&M to eff off. That is just appalling and outrageous.

I don't even feel sorry for those schools. Is it really worth it being in a joke of a conference with Texas calling the shots and collecting the money or being a equal member of another conference?

Golden Gopher fan, been reading this board quite extensively for the past couple weeks.

Anyway, welcome to the Big Ten.

If this news is true which I think it is, then the Big 12 is just a sad, sad conference. If I were KU or KSU I would be very tempted to tell Texas, OU, and A&M to eff off. That is just appalling and outrageous.

I don't even feel sorry for those schools. Is it really worth it being in a joke of a conference with Texas calling the shots and collecting the money or being a equal member of another conference?

Welcome to the HuskerBoard!

You know what else is bad for the remaining Big 12-2...with Nebraska gone, the conference is weakened for the BCS computer part. How many times has the BCS Championship pairing come down to the ridiculous computer ratings?

For tens of millions, OU and Texas may have just screwed themselves. Heck, even letting Colorado go without a fight was stupid in that regard because the Buffs usually played a tougher non-conference slate than OU and Texas.

It makes you wonder whether DeLoss Dodds and Joe Castiglione even care about winning and losing anymore. They appear to be so blinded by the money that they don't even know when they are cutting their own throats!

I love how they are saying that its going to be like 15 million that we have to pay. If we have to pay anything it will be 80% of the revenue we get from the big 12 which is currently 6.6 million which is 5.2 million wow split that 10 ways you are really bringing in the money arnt they. It could end up being a little more if we go to a bowl game but not sure. SO really if they are handing the buyout over to Texas then what is 500k to a school not to go to Mountain west.

I think by the time our lawyers get through with them we will own DKR and will be turning it into a sewage treatment facility. we should sue mizery and sCUm, too. after all - it was their underhanded dealings that forced us to bolt. TO and HP made those exit comments for a reason. there's gonna be some lawsuits and those efftards are going to be paying US, not the other way around.

for any lawyer huskers on here, i have a question about the buy-out. a contract cannot stipulate a 'penalty', no court would uphold such a condition. so often the contract makers will stipulate 'liquidated damages'. the amount that is foreseeable and the conference will incur by our early departure. now for my question: if the big 12 will receive a greater revenue even without NU and CU, then would not the liquidated damages be nonexistent, because the foreseeable loss will not come to fruition? remedies was not my greatest class, but i was just wondering if anyone else had any thoughts...

all i know is if some of the "details" that are being talked about are true, i will for the first time ever be ashamed of Missouri. I have stood by my Tigers for years. Through 3 win seasons. Through MBB probabtions. Through 60-0 losses and post season bans. I will not however stand for a nut less willy.

This could be a very very very sad day for me if this is all true....

:facepalm:

NBCsports.com

Posted by John Taylor on June 15, 2010 1:52 PM ET

Perhaps the biggest news coming out commissioner Dan Beebe's press conference this afternoon -- other than the fact that Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Baylor and Iowa State are officially the rest of the Big 12's biznatches -- is the fact that there is no new television in place for the Big 12.

In the wake of Texas recommitting to the league Monday, multiple reports had a tweaked television deal paying Texas upwards of $25 million -- and other schools at least doubling what they've been receiving -- as the linchpin in keeping the Big 12 intact.

Beebe said earlier today that there is no new TV deal from either FOX or ESPN/ABC; rather, the conference was assured -- with those assurances being relayed to all ten schools -- by various "consultants that we are in a tremendous position to reach agreements to put us on par with anyone in the country." Additionally, there is no signed agreement that will keep the conference together. Instead, Beebe is taking them all at their word that they will remain true to the conference.

(About that Arizona oceanfront property, Mr. Beebe...)

Beebe also attempted to dispel the notion that UT held all of the cards in this situation.

"Texas has a lot of influence," he said. "But I think you have to also look at Texas A&M and Oklahoma. They were hotly pursued by a number of conferences. Their value, based on their marketplace, history, were desirable. Frankly, they could have left for a guaranteed situation.

"One of the misnomers is this all about money. They are committed to this conference for more reasons than that."

(Chuckle)

As for the five schools mentioned in the opening of this post? All five agreed to give up their share of penalties Colorado and Nebraska will have to pay, forking that money over instead to, mostly, Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M.

Oh yeah, we can see this newly-configured Big 12 having long-term viability. Yep.

LINK

this makes me wonder if, and this is pure speculation, but if TU asked beebe to announce some special deal to convince TU to stay, to save face. instead of TU not getting what it wanted in the Pac 10, they can spin it that they decided it was 'better' to stay in the big 12-2, because of this incredible, miraculous, new-found tv deal, that was not there when they were trying to save the conference from NU and CU from leaving (and Mizzou for that matter).

this makes me wonder if, and this is pure speculation, but if TU asked beebe to announce some special deal to convince TU to stay, to save face. instead of TU not getting what it wanted in the Pac 10, they can spin it that they decided it was 'better' to stay in the big 12-2, because of this incredible, miraculous, new-found tv deal, that was not there when they were trying to save the conference from NU and CU from leaving (and Mizzou for that matter).

lets just be glad we got out when we did.. texas showed their true colors... they are just these mean alcholoic pricks type a$$hole$ very passive aggresive in my opinion... what i also wonder is what would have happened it TO wasn't AD and instead we had Peterson.... would we be making move or would he be willing to let continue to suckle at the teet of texas....

just glad we moved when we did

And we have a winner! We've always known (or expected) that when the Big 12 TV deal was up, it would be able to negotiate rates more in line with the other major conferences. Texas didn't learn anything new with this groundbreaking information on new TV deals, they just didn't want to appear like the prima donna they are.

It's the egg management fee. Small price to pay to be in such great company, really. :sarcasm

When and where does the greed and thirst for absolute power end? At first I was more angry than I ever thought possible, but then I realized, I DON'T HAVE TO CARE. If the North teams don't want to stand up for themselves, let them be little yes people - no longer our concern now. Why care - most of 'em hate us for leaving anyway.

Up till now, I was actually a little worried about the "forgotten five" and how they would fare, but if their own administration doesn't care about the state of things, then neither do I anymore. pfff.