So Baseball Is Kind of a Big Deal?

BOJ

From everything I have read (as I get myself situated with Nebraska information), it would seem baseball is kind of a big deal for you guys. Is that accurate? I ask because it is not in the Big Ten so I wonder how that will affect you guys. Most of the time you only find solid baseball programs (college teams) in the warm weather states, for obvious reasons, so curious if it is a big deal for Nebraska, why? And how do you keep up with the warm weather teams that inherently have better facilities for such a sport?

Football is king, of course. I'm not sure exactly how big baseball is, to be honest, because I don't follow ANY baseball team at any level, however I'm pretty sure right now people are kind of upset with the state of NU baseball.

Baseball Forum on Huskerboard

I should probably have been a little more direct. I think the order of sports goes football, basketball, and then wrestling. Baseball isn't even on the radar, though some schools have decent stadiums and once in a while we have some good pros come out of our programs, but in no way shape or form do we think it is an important college sport, but from what I hear it is important to the Big 12 and specifically Nebraska along with Texas. I just hope we don't f#*k up your guys' enjoyment of college baseball b/c you will get close to zero competition from us. Though the wrestling will be epic, but then again not a lot of regions outside of the midwest care about that.

I wondered this, too. I don't know if it will be good or bad. On one hand we get to play teams that, like us, didn't have a chance to play/practice outside. That is a big downfall of being a northern team; you seldom get to practice outside before your first series(usually against a well practiced southern team). On the other hand we don't get travel down South to play our conference games either and all of them all likely to be cold and/or windy.

As far as fans go, there is a number of die hard baseball fans that can tell you the lineup whether the Huskers are good or not. But IMO most fans love 'em when they are doing well and are slightly apathetic when things are not looking good.

Football is king, of course. I'm not sure exactly how big baseball is, to be honest, because I don't follow ANY baseball team at any level, however I'm pretty sure right now people are kind of upset with the state of NU baseball.

I should probably have been a little more direct. I think the order of sports goes football, basketball, and then wrestling. Baseball isn't even on the radar, though some schools have decent stadiums and once in a while we have some good pros come out of our programs, but in no way shape or form do we think it is an important college sport, but from what I hear it is important to the Big 12 and specifically Nebraska along with Texas. I just hope we don't f#*k up your guys' enjoyment of college baseball b/c you will get close to zero competition from us. Though the wrestling will be epic, but then again not a lot of regions outside of the midwest care about that.

I would agree mostly, except for the wrestling part.

Oh, well. At least he didn't say soccer.

*Edit-I went back and thought about it...are you more in tune with how good your soccer team is? I am not used to Nebraska smack talk.

Do you mean wrestling for you guys? I was only referencing the importance for current Big Ten teams, where wrestling is kind of a big deal, not for all, but a large part. I wasn't ranking sports importance for Nebraska, cause frankly I wouldn't know, hence the interrogatory nature of my post.

*Edit-I went back and thought about it...are you more in tune with how good your soccer team is? I am not used to Nebraska smack talk.

Do you mean wrestling for you guys? I was only referencing the importance for current Big Ten teams, where wrestling is kind of a big deal, not for all, but a large part. I wasn't ranking sports importance for Nebraska, cause frankly I wouldn't know, hence the interrogatory nature of my post.

In fact now that I read it again, I'm not sure what you are even asking me (quite possibly I'm an idiot). I was simply asking if baseball was important to Nebraska b/c I don't want the Big Ten's lack of interest to screw up Nebraska's deal.

Baseball in Nebraska ranks below:

Football

Women's Volleyball

Women's Basketball (last two years)

Men's Basketball

I'd put it fifth on the list of "most popular Husker sports."

The level of competition can only help Nebraska. If we can get more wins with these players we may squeak an at-large bid into the NCAA's. Who knows.

It heats up quickly if we have a good time because the college world series is in Omaha. There was a notion for years that when we made the CWS we would have a huge home field advantage. Unfortunately I think we are 1-6 in 3 CWS appearances.

I suppose interest could increasea if we do well in the Big 10 and that should give us an easier path to the tournament, but the lesser competition will probably hurt us in getting to the final 8 in Omaha. I remember guys like Winfield, Sabo, Larkin and Gibson in the Big 10, are B10 schools just not getting anyone anymore?

BOJ, you should probably be aware that the Huskers have one of the best women's volleyball teams in the nation. It is a very big deal to them.

I'm going to have to watch a PSU/NU game then.

We have recently had some real barn-burners. In 2007, when PSU won their first of three straight National Championships, Nebraska beat them 3-0 in early September, one of only two losses by PSU that year. In 2008 Penn State had what may have been the best Women's Volleyball team ever. Nebraska was the only school to win a set against the Nittany Lions that year, as PSU went 38-0 to claim their second straight title (we actually won two sets, and were up in set five before PSU rallied and went on to win). That match was again played in Omaha at the Qwest Center, in front of an NCAA-record crowd of over 17,000 fans. We didn't play last year, since Nebraska fell short of the Final Four, but we're going to be back there this year. I'd love another crack at the Nittany Lions in the Final Four.

My favorite Husker match of all time was the 1990 NCAA Regional match in Lincoln when 44-0 Penn State came to the Coliseum to knock off the Huskers. Penn State had only lost like two or three games (they were called games back then, and matches). The Huskers were heavy underdogs, but the crowd was LOUD, like rock-concert loud without exaggeration, and Nebraska advanced after winning 3-1. I'm not joking when I say there was dust filtering off the rafters atop the Coliseum - that's how loud that crowd was.

Russ Rose is one heck of a coach, and he's built a crazy-good program over there. I'm really, really excited to have them come to town once a year. If you live near University Park, you should definitely try to catch the Husker match when we visit. It'll be a heck of a battle, guaranteed. :thumbs

I think that Baseball ranks above Basketball for us. We have a really nice stadium in walking distance of the downtown district. There is a walk-bridge between the restaurant area and the stadium. Also, we have the CWS over in Omaha which really pumps up the excitement for College Baseball in general. I'd rank our sports:

Football

Volleyball

Baseball

Women's Basketball

Men's Basketball

And we have some pretty stellar teams in other areas:

Women's Gymnastics

Women's Bowling

Women's Shooting

Track and Field

Men's Wrestling

People are claiming that Basketball is above it, but that is because of recent success in Women's Basketball and the recent downturn in our Baseball program. If we are winning slightly more, Baseball is a more serious affair.

Basketball will probably improve with the improvement of our facilities in the coming years and our move to the Big Ten. We'll be able to pay more for a coach if we let go of Saddler and will have some premier facilities. The biggest thing is, the facilities will be close to the restaurant district so people will be more inclined to make a night out of a game. Currently, it is a tragedy trying to walk to our basketball arena.

BOJ, you should probably be aware that the Huskers have one of the best women's volleyball teams in the nation. It is a very big deal to them.

I had heard this elsewhere, I think maybe at the presser when Delany was talking bout Nebraska sports, I idiotically just assumed he was talking about men's volleyball. That's what you get for making assumptions.