Beware the hype

I understand this is a very exciting time for us Husker fans. However, I've been reading a lot of posts about whipping Texass, making the Big 12 game and while that would be great to do, let's remember this is still a team that lost to Iowa St, Texas Tech, etc and we don't know if we have an improvement at the most critical position (QB) on our weakest side of the ball (offense).

It wasn't too long ago that I remember listening to an afternoon sports show on 1400 in Lincoln during the summer and I heard the words "ONLY 53 DAYS UNTIL JOE DAILEY TAKES THE FIELD!!!!" That didn't turn out too well. Beware the hype. Take it game by game and enjoy the wins IF they come.

t1_daileyone.jpg

• Fire 2

what is the difference if we hype our team or not? losses hurt the same. few teams deserve hype, i think the one BO will put on the field this fall is one of them. it has been a long time since NU deserved any hype, and we should relish it when we can. our defense proved they can play with anyone, and i do not think it is a stretch to say that we should win every regular season game next year, not that we will, but we should. i say enjoy the hype, and hype the hype; let it roll!!!

:hellloooo :hellloooo :hellloooochuckleshuffle chuckleshuffle :ahhhhhhhhchuckleshuffle chuckleshuffle :hellloooo :hellloooo :hellloooo

:moreinteresting :moreinteresting :moreinteresting:nanalama :nanalama :woo:nanalama :nanalama :moreinteresting :moreinteresting :moreinteresting

• Fire 2

what is the difference if we hype our team or not? losses hurt the same. few teams deserve hype, i think the one BO will put on the field this fall is one of them. it has been a long time since NU deserved any hype, and we should relish it when they can. our defense proved they can play with anyone, and i do not think it is a stretch to say that we should win every regular season game next year, not that we will, but we should. i say enjoy the hype, and hype the hype; let it roll!!!

:hellloooo :hellloooo :hellloooochuckleshuffle chuckleshuffle :ahhhhhhhhchuckleshuffle chuckleshuffle :hellloooo :hellloooo :hellloooo

:moreinteresting :moreinteresting :moreinteresting:nanalama :nanalama :woo:nanalama :nanalama :moreinteresting :moreinteresting :moreinteresting

:koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2:

losses hurt the same.

I disagree with this. Losing to USC the 2nd time hurt much more than the first time. Not only because it was a blowout, but because of the way the team finished the previous year(winning 9 games and making the Big 12 championship game - sound familiar?) increased the hype for the game as we thought we could pull off an upset since we were at home. Well we never recovered from that loss, beating Ball St by only 1 point and then failing to make a bowl game.

I still feel the pain of that USC game. That was the most electric atmosphere that I have ever felt in Lincoln...I still can't believe that Callahan had killed our program to the point we couldn't even compete at home.

I understand this is a very exciting time for us Husker fans. However, I've been reading a lot of posts about whipping Texass, making the Big 12 game and while that would be great to do, let's remember this is still a team that lost to Iowa St, Texas Tech, etc and we don't know if we have an improvement at the most critical position (QB) on our weakest side of the ball (offense).

It wasn't too long ago that I remember listening to an afternoon sports show on 1400 in Lincoln during the summer and I heard the words "ONLY 53 DAYS UNTIL JOE DAILEY TAKES THE FIELD!!!!" That didn't turn out too well. Beware the hype. Take it game by game and enjoy the wins IF they come.

t1_daileyone.jpg

3 losses by 4 points. Held UT to 10 points in the 60.00 minutes of the CCG. Bo was not happy with the D early in the year and said they had a ways to go. By the end of the season that D won the scoring title playing against a lot of Big 12 powerhouse offenses. By the end of the season Bo said that team could beat anyone. Bo stated this years team is going to be 5 times better. Pre-season polls have us in the top 15 to top 10, one in the top 5. That D held texas to fewer points than Alabama did and they faced a true freshman in a depends. NU faced a QB that won 44 games of D 1 football and was a leader for the Heisman, they shut him down and humilated him. This recruiting class is shaping up to be one of the best of all time.

Those are reasons to feel the hype. Can you feel it????

• Fire 3

t1_daileyone.jpg

Well for starters, those days are long gone. Not relevant to the following season in any way, shape, or form. And if I recall, this is also the team that beat OU, basically beat Texas, and made the Pac 10's #2 team look like another Sun Belt opponent.

Nebraska has made huge strides under Bo and until proven otherwise, we have no reason to believe that won't continue. After 2008, the defense lost all the linebackers, Zach Potter, and Murillo, but came back with a vengeance. The offense also lost it's 3 most important cogs, and while I realize the offense got worse, the team won more games.

Who's to say the same improvements can't be made this year?

:koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2:

losses hurt the same.

I disagree with this. Losing to USC the 2nd time hurt much more than the first time. Not only because it was a blowout, but because of the way the team finished the previous year(winning 9 games and making the Big 12 championship game - sound familiar?) increased the hype for the game as we thought we could pull off an upset since we were at home. Well we never recovered from that loss, beating Ball St by only 1 point and then failing to make a bowl game.

I still feel the pain of that USC game. That was the most electric atmosphere that I have ever felt in Lincoln...I still can't believe that Callahan had killed our program to the point we couldn't even compete at home.

Yeah, not all W's and L's count the same (for instance, OOC games don't count towards conference standings; divisional games give us tiebreaker information, etc) to begin with - and how the game plays out matters a lot.

Oklahoma 2008 (L) and Texas 2009 (L) do not hurt the same. They both may have hurt a great deal, but in very, very different ways.

In a lot of ways, that Texas loss was a lot better for this team and program than that Ball State win in 2007. That USC game was one where we rode a wave of hope and confidence, only to be brutally, physically outclassed from the outside. The only silver lining was we had a lot of garbage time and the offense fought back to show some life at the end. I don't care if it's against backups, it still softens the blow just a little. But we were shattered after that game and never recovered.

losses hurt the same.

Yeah, not all W's and L's count the same (for instance, OOC games don't count towards conference standings; divisional games give us tiebreaker information, etc) to begin with - and how the game plays out matters a lot.

Oklahoma 2008 (L) and Texas 2009 (L) do not hurt the same. They both may have hurt a great deal, but in very, very different ways.

In a lot of ways, that Texas loss was a lot better for this team and program than that Ball State win in 2007. That USC game was one where we rode a wave of hope and confidence, only to be brutally, physically outclassed from the outside. The only silver lining was we had a lot of garbage time and the offense fought back to show some life at the end. I don't care if it's against backups, it still softens the blow just a little. But we were shattered after that game and never recovered.

we have things that need to be resolved...but on offense(our biggest hole...no arguements?) we return 10 of 11 starters and add a ton of depth...all these guys have an entire year to get all the better...the offense was serviceable last year...now it can be good...nothing more than it has to be...good

Of course its not the same team. You cannot translate what happened the previous year because the roster is not the same. The players have another year in the system and are hopefully better. On the flip the younger players replacing the seniors may have a learning curve to get up to game speed. I'm hoping for the best.

learning curve...called western kentucky, idaho, and south dakota state