Better running back

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This question can be answered two ways. I think the better running back, in the long run, will be Burkhead. But, I think Helu is going to have a better season if you solely compare their yards by season end.

helu has one bad season because he has one nagging injury that the coaches wouldn't just bench him...does anyone not remember this guys monster sophomore year...even injury riddled last year(one nagging injury) he still put up big yards and had big plays(saved the kansas game with a big run)...i know rex is the new big thing, got to meet him and it was awesome, but i think helu will show what we all thought he would be last year

The one thing about Helu that bothered me his Junior year was the inability to reach the end zone. Yes, he rushed for over a thousands yards, but he was unable to score a single rushing touchdown in two of his biggest games: vs. OU and vs. Va Tech.

You do bring up a valid point, in that he was not injured his sophomore year. But, I think that had more to do with having Castille and Lucky on the team more than anything else. His body can't stand being the go to guy every week. Plus, he has been held out of post-season play for two consecutive seasons thanks to knee problems.

Don't get me wrong. I think Helu is a great individual and pretty darn good running back. All I'm saying is that he has a lot to prove this year.

This. Helu is deceiving because he's got good size but he's more of a scat back type. Last year Helu showed that he can run the stretch and get outside about as good as anyone in the country, besides maybe Jahvid Best. But he doesn't have the straight up power to be a consistent up the middle back.

Here's my thought: Hopefully at the end of the season we will still be asking this question, because they have both showed great ability. (800 yds a piece wouldn't be too bad either)

I believe that Helu's style is called "slasher," but the coaches did mention that both Roy and Rex have very similar skillsets and are interchangable. I would agree that Rex seems to hit a hole, while Roy seems to wait for one to open and slides through it, but I would bet that they could be pretty equal, if either stays healthy this entire year.

This question can be answered two ways. I think the better running back, in the long run, will be Burkhead. But, I think Helu is going to have a better season if you solely compare their yards by season end.

helu has one bad season because he has one nagging injury that the coaches wouldn't just bench him...does anyone not remember this guys monster sophomore year...even injury riddled last year(one nagging injury) he still put up big yards and had big plays(saved the kansas game with a big run)...i know rex is the new big thing, got to meet him and it was awesome, but i think helu will show what we all thought he would be last year

The one thing about Helu that bothered me his Junior year was the inability to reach the end zone. Yes, he rushed for over a thousands yards, but he was unable to score a single rushing touchdown in two of his biggest games: vs. OU and vs. Va Tech.

You do bring up a valid point, in that he was not injured his sophomore year. But, I think that had more to do with having Castille and Lucky on the team more than anything else. His body can't stand being the go to guy every week. Plus, he has been held out of post-season play for two consecutive seasons thanks to knee problems.

Don't get me wrong. I think Helu is a great individual and pretty darn good running back. All I'm saying is that he has a lot to prove this year.

This. Helu is deceiving because he's got good size but he's more of a scat back type. Last year Helu showed that he can run the stretch and get outside about as good as anyone in the country, besides maybe Jahvid Best. But he doesn't have the straight up power to be a consistent up the middle back.

Here's my thought: Hopefully at the end of the season we will still be asking this question, because they have both showed great ability. (800 yds a piece wouldn't be too bad either)

I believe that Helu's style is called "slasher," but the coaches did mention that both Roy and Rex have very similar skillsets and are interchangable. I would agree that Rex seems to hit a hole, while Roy seems to wait for one to open and slides through it, but I would bet that they could be pretty equal, if either stays healthy this entire year.

gross.

gross.

:laughpound Funny, but not gross!! I prefer the sliding style myself, but every now and then you need to hit the hole hard!

I think both have good power and above average speed. It is a nice combination to have.

I don't buy the injury "issues" with Helu. Burkhead was hurt as well last year so you can never really count on a guy to stay injury free. In my opinion, Helu is the more complete back. he has gotten bigger and faster and has great ability catching the ball out of the backfield. Burkhead is a north/south runner and can be a nice change up from Helu.

I don't buy the injury "issues" with Helu. Burkhead was hurt as well last year so you can never really count on a guy to stay injury free. In my opinion, Helu is the more complete back. he has gotten bigger and faster and has great ability catching the ball out of the backfield. Burkhead is a north/south runner and can be a nice change up from Helu.

Injuries are always a concern and past ones, especially Helu's nagging shoulder injury, are always something to watch. I feel like that card's somewhat overplayed though. A perfectly healthy guy can get hit hard and go down, and guys with two shoulder surgeries (Eric Crouch; Brandon Jackson?) can go on to have an ironman season despite all the hits.

I do hope Roy's feeling better though.

they definitely complement each other. i think if helu would toughen up a little bit (not saying he is not tough, but he is more finesse than hard hitting) he would be an excellent back. to oversimplify the situation, burkhead seems like a guaranteed 3-5 yards and helu seems like a -5 to 15-break one for a touchdown type of guy. but that is my perception and i need to see them both play again, it has been too long.

that's exactly it...helu can break open on big runs...burkhead can pound it in on the short field...also with the injury thing...during the iowa st game, helu's first or second carry he got popped in the bad shoulder dropped the ball and isu took over...the coaches still put him out on the field the next drive...i don't know exactly what was wrong with his shoulder last year, but it looked to me like he needed to sit and get healthy

Exactly. From my personal observations, I think Burkhead is a much better closer running back. The end of the Missouri game and the end of the Colorado game are two BIG standouts in my mind, especially the Colorado game. He took us down the field, chewed up a huge amount of clock, and got into the end zone. Pretty good qualities that you want in a running back.

I agree, mostly, but his injuries are still a concern for me. He has yet to make it through an entire season completely healthy and we have yet to see him play a useful role in a bowl game.

what if i wanted to vote for Trey?

Today is not your day, my friend.

that's exactly it...helu can break open on big runs...burkhead can pound it in on the short field...also with the injury thing...during the iowa st game, helu's first or second carry he got popped in the bad shoulder dropped the ball and isu took over...the coaches still put him out on the field the next drive...i don't know exactly what was wrong with his shoulder last year, but it looked to me like he needed to sit and get healthy

I've always wondered why he played so much if he was injured. Obviously we needed him, but it's whatever. What it seems like though is that it's not anything serious enough that he's going to be inactive for more than 3 weeks MAX. So with that logic hopefully he'll be fresh as dew come September. Whether or not the nagging injury comes back obviously remains to be seen, but a whole spring and summer should be enough time for whatever it was to fully heal.

I got to give it to Roy. Early last season he seemed to be a much more decisive and agressive runner than in his previous years. He kind of reminded me of Brandon Jackson, that sort of "I will not be denied" angry running style. So with 2 good shoulders, I think he'll have a great season. Ultimately, I do think Burkhead will be the better talent in the long run, but he's got time to grow, and that's a very good thing.