How far back do you allow Colleges to Brag?

How far back are you allowed to Brag?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think you should have been alive to be able to brag about it.

Spot on. If you weren't alive or were too young to remember it, you probably shouldn't be bragging about it. I tend to not brag on anything Nebraska did prior to 1980 because I don't remember much prior to 1980 as I was only 5. I'll probably always brag about the run in the 90's because I was in college at UNL then. Fortunately for me, we played for a NC every year I was in college.

:throwdabones1:GO BACK TO SCHOOL, NOW! :throwdabones1:

:laughpound

Which part of the Devaney Era is irrelevant to who we are today? None of it, of course.

How significant was the fact that Nebraska beat the Four Horsemen not once, but twice? It's quite significant, even though none of us were alive when it happened.

How big was our win over the unstoppable Sooners in 59? BIG, and time doesn't alter that.

How important to College Football was The Game of the Century? Tremendously, and it still resonates today, 40 years later.

Our celebrated Sellout Streak wouldn't be what it is today without those fans from nearly 50 years ago who packed Memorial Stadium.

Everything is relevant from the day a player first put on a college sweater and walked onto the field up to this very day, because it makes a team who it is today.

I like what Blackshirt316 said about things being "MORE relevant." It's all relevant, depending on the conversation, but for this season, certain things are more relevant than others.

XPWIDYYGKOFNPYB20020806215149.jpg

George Flippin is worth bragging about, 118 years after he became the first Black athlete to play for Nebraska.

Relaventcy is important. Culture/events that led up to where a program is now is important as a background, remembering individual games in your lifetime is good. BUT using the past to justify/predict the future is not *ahem* ISU something you can rely on - dominating an opponent might show a trend, but events can change quickly. In the late '70s or early '80s after NU came from behind and soundly beat Colorado, a former player at that time was quoted something like "That is why CU will never beat Nebraska" Ooops

BTW the reason NU stopped playing black athletes was because Missouri and Oklahoma refused to play if they were on the team.

other than national titles and heismans, which are timeless, i think you can only brag about 5 years back about all else...other landmarks like first black athletes, consecutive sellouts, rivalry classics can also be called timeless and can be bragged about...but when we talk about nebraska and what our team looks like now, and if we think we can beat another team needs to stay in a 5 year period...MAX

Which part of the Devaney Era is irrelevant to who we are today? None of it, of course.

How significant was the fact that Nebraska beat the Four Horsemen not once, but twice? It's quite significant, even though none of us were alive when it happened.

How big was our win over the unstoppable Sooners in 59? BIG, and time doesn't alter that.

How important to College Football was The Game of the Century? Tremendously, and it still resonates today, 40 years later.

Our celebrated Sellout Streak wouldn't be what it is today without those fans from nearly 50 years ago who packed Memorial Stadium.

Everything is relevant from the day a player first put on a college sweater and walked onto the field up to this very day, because it makes a team who it is today.

I like what Blackshirt316 said about things being "MORE relevant." It's all relevant, depending on the conversation, but for this season, certain things are more relevant than others.

George Flippin is worth bragging about, 118 years after he became the first Black athlete to play for Nebraska.

Relaventcy is important. Culture/events that led up to where a program is now is important as a background, remembering individual games in your lifetime is good. BUT using the past to justify/predict the future is not *ahem* ISU something you can rely on - dominating an opponent might show a trend, but events can change quickly. In the late '70s or early '80s after NU came from behind and soundly beat Colorado, a former player at that time was quoted something like "That is why CU will never beat Nebraska" Ooops

BTW the reason NU stopped playing black athletes was because Missouri and Oklahoma refused to play if they were on the team.

I'm missing the part where I said that you could use the past to predict the future. We're talking about "bragging" about the past, which I take to mean, how far back can you to when talking about your team's accomplishments? The very nature of this topic is backward-looking, not forward-looking.

Nothing in your past guarantees your future. I never said that, and that's not what we're discussing.

I'm missing the part where I said that you could use the past to predict the future. We're talking about "bragging" about the past, which I take to mean, how far back can you to when talking about your team's accomplishments? The very nature of this topic is backward-looking, not forward-looking.

Nothing in your past guarantees your future. I never said that, and that's not what we're discussing.

Some fans will use or "brag" about the past to bolster their current standing, witness the partitioning of the Big 10 Conference. This is what I was addressing. Go back to the beginning if you say "Remember game of the century, wasn't that great", weaker or eye-rolling is when ND fans "Yup, we are the greatest program because we have 8 NC and Knute, and we always will be no matter what" and get ready for a beat down when ISU fans say "You are going down this year at JTS, because we demolished you last year in your house". I was echoing the post of there are degrees of bragadoccio

"Never" is a very long time. :hmmph