Tom Osborne on Jim Rome Show

Not that I'm complaining, or care, but why is Jim Rome such a big Husker fan? It seems to me that he really hadn't talked about the Huskers till Bo Pelini was hired as coach. Does he have some sort of ties with Bo? Just curious...

I wouldn't say he is a big NU fan. He likes the passion that NU fans have about their football. He refers to all NU fans as bugeaters and we are all from buggaha. Jim Rome is a west coast guy (UCSB) but does national radio and has a national TV show. He has respect for most NU fans because if he opens up his phone lines today with a question on, "Who is going to be the most dominate team this year in college football"? He will have a lot of NU fans stating their case. He goofs on NU fans at the same time as respecting their loyalty and knowledge of college football. He has been doing national radio for at least 15 years, so he was just starting out when NU had their run with Tommy Frazier and we were the talk of college football. He could count on NU fans staying on the phone for 2 hours to talk college football. He started on the west coast and went national, so he could pull callers from NE and help promote his national audience when he was building his nationally syndicated radio show in the early to mid nineties.

I started to listen to Rome when he was at XTRA in the early nineties.

Rome started his radio career at college radio station KCSB-FM while at UCSB, where he was Sports Director for one quarter, and at news station KTMS, also located in Santa Barbara. He eventually moved to XTRA Sports 690 in San Diego, where he started what is now known as The Jim Rome Show, or "The Jungle," with a loop of the instrumental intro of Iggy Pop's song "Lust for Life" and the instrumental intro of Guns N' Roses' song "Welcome to the Jungle" as the show's signature music. The show became syndicated in 1996. It can now be heard on over 200 radio stations across the United States and Canada. In 1998, Rome released an album entitled Welcome to the Jungle, which featured memorable sound bites and music from the show.

I hope this helps. Good night now!!! (that is one of his famous catch phrases)

Not that I'm complaining, or care, but why is Jim Rome such a big Husker fan? It seems to me that he really hadn't talked about the Huskers till Bo Pelini was hired as coach. Does he have some sort of ties with Bo? Just curious...

Rome has also stated he is good friends with a prominent booster, but has never said who the booster is.

I think that the knowledge of the Husker fans gives him better calls versus

Rome: Caller, who do think will win the college championship game?

Alabama fan: 'Bama

Rome: Why?

Alabama fan: Cause we are 'Bama

Rome actually started turning toward the Huskers when we played USC those two years. The calls between USC and N fan were priceless. We may have lost the games but we made all USC fans look pretty stupid. It got to the point that all the calls were coming from us and no USC fans wanted to get embarrassed on the air.

Rome actually started turning toward the Huskers when we played USC those two years. The calls between USC and N fan were priceless. We may have lost the games but we made all USC fans look pretty stupid. It got to the point that all the calls were coming from us and no USC fans wanted to get embarrassed on the air.

Why did we make them look stupid?

superior knowledge and heart

One of my favorite moments out of that whole series was when he said something to the effect of "Good for you SoCal fan...you drive a $50,000 car. These fans have a $250,000 vehicle they drive once a year." The people who responded to that DID NOT GET IT

Back when Rome was just starting to become nationally syndicated Omaha was a very early addition and they represented on the show a lot, topping the affiliate "power rankings". I think he's always had a soft spot for Neb since then.

This.

And he did one of his best ever tour stops in Omaha after we won the 95 national championship. I'm not sure about the article stating he became syndicated in 1996, but I have been listening to him since before that tour stop.