TTU coach Tommy Tuberville thinks Big 12 will collapse eventually

Nexus

First-year Texas Tech football coach Tommy Tuberville broke ranks with those inside the Big 12 who laud the efforts that kept the conference together and speak of a bright future for the 10-team league.

In an interview Tuesday on Rivals Radio, Tuberville said that he didn't think the new Big 12 would have staying power.

"I don't think this conference will last long because there is too much disparity between all the teams," Tuberville told host Bill King. "In the SEC, for instance, Vanderbilt makes as much money in the television contract as Florida. Everybody is good with it. Everybody is on the same page. Everyone gets the same votes.

"That doesn't happen here in the Big 12. We have some teams that get a little bit more money and have a little bit more stroke than some of the other teams. And when that happens, you're gonna have teams looking for better avenues to leave and reasons to leave."

Tuberville coached in the SEC at Ole Miss (1995-1998) and Auburn (1999-2008) before being hired earlier this year to replace Mike Leach at Texas Tech.

In the recent wave of conference realignment, Nebraska decided to leave the Big 12 for the Big Ten, and Colorado accepted an invitation from the Pac-10.

The Big 12 almost dissolved when when Tech, Texas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were on the verge of joining Colorado, and Texas A&M was pondering heading to the SEC or the Pac-10.

But on the strength of Texas' commitment and the promise of lucrative television deals, the Big 12's remaining 10 teams reached an agreement to stay togther.

Tuberville, however, is skeptical.

"We have a 10-team league right now, but I just don't know how long that's gonna last, to be honest with you," he said in the Rivals Radio interview.

LINK

Oh sheese. This is going to really miff some Texans off in powerful places. Tommy doesn't understand he's not supposed to say this kind of stuff in UT's conference. Especially when the conference is limping and UT is doing everything they can to make it credible.

Better look for some hard cover Tommy...

Oh sheese. This is going to really miff some Texans off in powerful places. Tommy doesn't understand he's not supposed to say this kind of stuff in UT's conference. Especially when the conference is limping and UT is doing everything they can to make it credible.

I applaud him for this. Someone has to talk about the 800 lb. gorilla in the conference. You can't just ignore how dysfunctional this conference is and geared to one institution and not 12, errrrr, I mean 10.

as far a miffing texas fans off, the discussion on shaggy bevo is actually pretty split. I would say almost a majority agree with him. That being said good for him.

There is a reson why colorado split as quickly as they could, there is a reason why mizzou practicaly said they would do the same. The conference will not stay together if they continue to allow one school to hold the other 9 hostage.

From what I've seen many hornfans wanted the con to die. It was the folks in-charge that want BevoTV that pushed to keep the 12 together. The fact that only the 12 will let the horns have bevoTV at this point is the 12's best chance at sticking around since so many teams follow Texas.

But I can still see the con falling-apart. Mizzou still wants the Big10. ATM-fans want the SEC. If Beebe can't come through on the money he promised the natives will be quite restless.

Here's a conspiracy for you--Texa$$ holds the conference together just long enough to get BevoTV up and running then starts exploring a move other conferences that since they already have their own network they might as well bring it with them to the new conference, that way an entity like the PAC-10 ro SEC could accept UT and UT will carry their programming without any start-up costs to the new conference.

Here's a conspiracy for you--Texa$$ holds the conference together just long enough to get BevoTV up and running then starts exploring a move other conferences that since they already have their own network they might as well bring it with them to the new conference, that way an entity like the PAC-10 ro SEC could accept UT and UT will carry their programming without any start-up costs to the new conference.

It would certainly be a different story if UT already had the network up and running than if they went into a new conference situation saying "oh, by the way, we will be starting our own tv network and be keeping the money.''

I think Tuberville is trying to get a better deal for his school by predicting the worst case scenario. Maybe he thinks UT will lob them a bone if it meant saving the conference. I say Tommy Tuberville doesn't fully understand the University of Texas very well yet. :worship

Possible, it's obvious BevoTV is a very big deal to the powers-that-be in Texas(seemingly less-so with hornfans), maybe they figure if they get BevoTV off the ground then look around again in a couple years they can get the PAC or whomever to let it slide.

Suprisingly the comments were very much unsolicited.

Basically,

Host: "Hi Tubs, how ya doing?"

Tubby: "Hi there Bill, well I think the Big XII is f#c#ed"

And he offered some nice comments in there for Nebraska's motivation to leave as well.

Tubby interview

Full show - has a little more after the interview.

Thanks for the links listening to it says a lot more than the quotes.

When all this was going down didn't the SEC pundits say that they already allow their schools to have their own local network? I don't think the Bevo network is a problem with the SEC, from what I've read I think it's academic standards that Texas has issues with in the SEC.

The more I hear about what the Bevo Network will have access to, I wonder if it is such a big deal to the rest of the conference. They won't have the rights to the big football games the networks will have that, when it comes to basketball- Kansas already shows their non-con crap games on the networks in KC (they probably get some revenue from that) so what is so different than what the Bevo network will do.

Other sports- if ESPN wants rights to a Texas baseball game do you think the university will keep it for themselves? I could see if the network starts making money then the schools that play Texas and are televised in these other non and lower revenue sports will negotiate to be paid a higher appearance fee. Similar to what NU (and the rest of college football) is having to do to get the smaller schools to come to their place to play. Jamrog and TO have mentioned on multiple occasions how expensive that has gotten.

I guess I think this issue will be less and less of an impact going forward. Now if networks start making sizeable coin on Softball, Baseball, Volleyball, Swimming, etc. then maybe the networks get involved in pushing up the revenue from TV that those sports generate. IF that happens then it could be a problem, but I doubt we'll be clamoring for that Gymnastics Duel between Texas and NU.