Potential Sites for Big 10 Championship Game

Why not Soldier Field? Why not have the CCG in the greatest city in the boundaries of the Conference?

The perceived favorites for a 2011 Big Ten championship football game are Indianapolis (Lucas Oil Stadium) and Detroit (Ford Field).

But don't take that to mean that Chicago would not vie for it.

Soldier Field general manager Tim LeFevour told the Tribune on Monday that if and when the game is announced, his group "absolutely" has interest in hosting it.

"We'll take a very strong look at it and put together a proposal," said LeFevour, a second cousin to Dan LeFevour, the Bears draft pick and former Central Michigan quarterback.

Commissioner Jim Delany said after welcoming Nebraska to the Big Ten last month that he "presumes" that a conference title game will be created, but that the league had not scouted possible venues.

Indiana University athletic director Fred Glass since has told the Indianapolis Star that "I don't think there is really another choice" than Lucas Oil Stadium, which will host the 2012 Super Bowl.

Officials in Detroit, Minneapolis (the Metrodome) and Cleveland (Cleveland Browns Stadium) also have said they would bid on the inaugural game.

David Gilbert, president of the Greater Cleveland Sports Commission, told The (Ohio) Morning Journal that he expects the game to be rotated among cities and that non-domed stadiums should not be ruled out. The game likely would be played on Dec. 3, 2011.

"This is not SEC football," he told the paper. "This is Big Ten football. The weather is part of the game."

LeFevour said of the weather issue: "My answer is that you have to look at Chicago as a whole, the entertainment aspect of bringing a big-time game to city. Chicago is one of the finest cities out there."

LINK

Soldier Field would be much better than the dome.

But even better is having the record decide where the game is played.

If it is 12-0 vs. 12-0 then use a neutral site.

Either way, the game played in weather would be part of the appeal/marketing.

Best would be having the CCG played every year in Arlington. Aginst Texas.

Actually, no Big 10 team would need to actually show up - Texas would just play with itself. koolaid2.gif

Soldier Field would be much better than the dome.

But even better is having the record decide where the game is played.

If it is 12-0 vs. 12-0 then use a neutral site.

Either way, the game played in weather would be part of the appeal/marketing.

Best would be having the CCG played every year in Arlington. Aginst Texas.

Actually, no Big 10 team would need to actually show up - Texas would just play with itself. koolaid2.gif

Texas would just play with itself. :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

The horn aggies are soooooo funny

Plus I wasn't really impressed with what I saw of Chicago when I went there.

You're dead to me now. :o:(:cry

:lol:

You obviously didn't do the city the right way. Let me give you some pointers the next time you head this way. If you don't like it then....well I can write the next words here. Ha!

You're probably right. It's really the only city I haven't liked, and I've been all over the continent. I did have my first Whitecastle experience in Chicago though, which was just magical. Mmmmm... I'm hungry now

Plus I wasn't really impressed with what I saw of Chicago when I went there.

You're dead to me now. :o:(:cry

:lol:

You obviously didn't do the city the right way. Let me give you some pointers the next time you head this way. If you don't like it then....well I can write the next words here. Ha!

You're probably right. It's really the only city I haven't liked, and I've been all over the continent. I did have my first Whitecastle experience in Chicago though, which was just magical. Mmmmm... I'm hungry now

Oh come on man! White Castle is what you recall about the city....were you stuck on the south side or burbs? Did you eat pizza, go to the beach, drink, Mag Mile, museums, drink, drink, drink?

I honestly have never once met someone that doesn't love Chicago. Best decision I ever made was moving here.

Sorry for hijacking this thread....