Who had the more accomplished coaching career?

Osborne: 255-49-3, 13 Conference titles, 3 national ones. Osborne had the Huskers finish in the Coaches Poll Top 10 20 times. Before Tom, they had been in 7 times.

Notes: Took over an established winner and continued and improved it, culminating at its apex in the 90s and the view of Nebraska as a Traditional Power...

Bowden: 304-97-4 at Florida State, 12 conference titles and 2 National Titles. Since they were independent from 51' to 91', he was not going to ring up a ton of conference titles.

Bowden had them FINISH in the Top 10 in the Coaches Poll 18 times. Before Bowden, that had never happened.

377-129-4 includling West Virgina and Samford.

Notes: Coach who built a program from a poor one to a national power, but at a cost to his win percentage (naturally I would say)

I would not say it was a slam dunk either way. The coaches had different careers and both had some incredible runs. National titles 3 out of 4 years for Osborne, which is great. Bowden had the Noles finish in the Top 5 FOURTEEN YEARS in a row (plus two titles mixed in), no one else has ever even come close to that level of consistent performance. I just gonna call em both great and leave it at that. Those are two great coaches. Men who define college football in their own ways.

• Fire 1

Osborne: 255-49-3, 13 Conference titles, 3 national ones. Osborne had the Huskers finish in the Coaches Poll Top 10 20 times. Before Tom, they had been in 7 times.

Notes: Took over an established winner and continued and improved it, culminating at its apex in the 90s and the view of Nebraska as a Traditional Power...

Bowden: 304-97-4 at Florida State, 12 conference titles and 2 Natioanl Titles. Since they were independent from 51' to 91', he was not going to ring up a ton of conference titles.

Bowden had them FINISH in the Top 10 in the Coaches Poll 18 times. Before Bowden, that had never happened.

377-129-4 includling West Virgina and Samford.

Notes: Coach who built a program from a poor one to a national power, but at a cost to his win percentage 9naturally I would say)

I would not say it was a slam dunk either way. The coaches had different careers and both had some incredible runs. National titles 3 out of 4 years for Osborne, which is great. Bowden had the Noles finish in the Top 5 FOURTEEN YEARS in a row (plus two titles mixed in), no one else has ever even come close to that level of consistent performance. I just gonna call em both great and leave it at that. Those are two great coaches. Men who define college football in their own ways.

Yeah I'd say that about sums it up, it's ultimately opinion either way.

Two things have been pointed out

1. Bowden built a nobody into a top program, T.O. inherited one

2. T.O has been gone since 1997, thats ancient to kids today.

One thing I would bring up ( and I voted for Tom ) he was 2-6 vs Bowden. Going from memory 2-2 in regular season and 0-4 in bowls.

Bobby Bowden is to FSU what Bob Devaney was to Nebraska. Both brought a program up from the ashes.

100% correct.

I can see why FSU fans think he was great. Try telling a NU fan old enough to remember the Bobfather that he wasn't a big deal.

True. Both pulled their programs up by the bootstraps. But it's interesting how their careers ended in quite different manners. NU raised the Bobfather up on a pedestal and threw flower petals at his feet for a quarter of a century. FSU extended a giant hook from behind the curtain and yanked Bobby Bowden off of the stage.