Can we catch Boise State in the rankings?

Let’s just say for kicks that we run the table this year, going undefeated in the regular season. Is there any way we catch Boise State in the rankings if they run the table too?

Sports Illustrated Preseason rankings

1. Alabama

2. Boise State

3. Ohio State

4. Texas

5. Iowa

6. TCU

7. Virginia Tech

8. Oregon

9. Wisconsin

10. Florida

11. Oklahoma

12. Miami (FL)

13. Nebraska

More preseason rankings: linky

They wont run the table this year. The sun gotta shine on another dogs ass someday. They will lose to VTech

I agree with that; however, if they beat VT, and don't do something stupid the rest of the year, the ticket to the BCS Championship game is theirs for the taking.

The VTech game is their one chance to prove they belong. If they lose, their mentality will be that they will have nothing to play for. Which could really hurt them when they start conference play. A team like Nevada or Fresno could come in and beat them soundly. Plus none of their games will be on TV regularly(except Thursday/Friday Night games)so that just makes the VTech game that much bigger.

There is no way Alabama goes undefeated this year with their schedule. They will drop atleast one game. How can I team be number one in the nation when nearly your entire defense is being replaced. Odd.

Their this years florida... Everybody has them #1 because the heisman trophy winner is comin back. We all know how that turned out for Florida/Tim Tebow last year.

There is no way Alabama goes undefeated this year with their schedule. They will drop atleast one game. How can I team be number one in the nation when nearly your entire defense is being replaced. Odd.

Their this years florida... Everybody has them #1 because the heisman trophy winner is comin back. We all know how that turned out for Florida/Tim Tebow last year.

As far as I know of, most pundits had Alabama above Florida last year. I saw a lot of Bama 1 Gator 2 Texas 3

We would pass Boise on SOS. I haven't done the math on their SOS or our SOS this year, but over the past decade their toughest SOS was 25 spots behind our most embarrassingly easy SOS. Our easiest season was something like 54th in the nation while their most difficult was 79th, and those weren't the same season.

Boise is hampered significantly by their conference. Even when the Big 12 is a dog, even when the North is a bunch of crap, we're still facing tougher competition week in and week out. The pollsters may not care, but the computer does, and that's reflected in SOS.

Not only that, but the Harris Poll cares mightily about SOS, and they'll have us up there as well. Last year Harris had us ranked 20th and Boise 6th, and we had four losses to their none. That's two components of the BCS where we'll have the advantage.

HOWEVER, we still have to go undefeated and earn our spot in the big show. That's a HUGE "if" right now. We are so far ahead of ourselves we can almost see ourselves in the rearview mirror again.

We would pass Boise on SOS. I haven't done the math on their SOS or our SOS this year, but over the past decade their toughest SOS was 25 spots behind our most embarrassingly easy SOS. Our easiest season was something like 54th in the nation while their most difficult was 79th, and those weren't the same season.

Boise is hampered significantly by their conference. Even when the Big 12 is a dog, even when the North is a bunch of crap, we're still facing tougher competition week in and week out. The pollsters may not care, but the computer does, and that's reflected in SOS.

Not only that, but the Harris Poll cares mightily about SOS, and they'll have us up there as well. Last year Harris had us ranked 20th and Boise 6th, and we had four losses to their none. That's two components of the BCS where we'll have the advantage.

HOWEVER, we still have to go undefeated and earn our spot in the big show. That's a HUGE "if" right now. We are so far ahead of ourselves we can almost see ourselves in the rearview mirror again.

This.

An undefeated Nebraska team will oust an undefeated Boise State team, simply because of the S.O.S. Boise State would complain about it, as they have a right to, but they are a product of their own conference. They enjoy immense success because their conference is weak as a collective whole.

Obviously, they were good enough to beat Oklahoma in 2007, but I would like to see them compete in a conference that is an AQ and a consistent top 5 or top 10 teams every year. You replace a team like Baylor with Boise State, and I say Boise State wins 10 games a year.

I hope Nebraska ends up playing Boise in the MNC. I really don't see why people look down so much on Boise. They beat a very good Oklahoma team in 2006, barely lost to a very good TCU in 2008, and beat an awesome TCU in 2009 (becoming only the 3rd 14-0 team in the history of the BCS if I remember correctly). I mean, really, what is wrong with playing Boise?

They wont run the table this year. The sun gotta shine on another dogs ass someday. They will lose to VTech

I agree with that; however, if they beat VT, and don't do something stupid the rest of the year, the ticket to the BCS Championship game is theirs for the taking.

Uh no. Last I checked boise still plays in the wac. I don't care what kind of non con they play. Unless there are no other undefeated teams in bcs conferences boise will not play for the title undefeated. No way. Not as long as a more deserving school is in front of them. Say what you want about the computer rankings. There is a human element to it. Only 1/3 of the final ranking comes from the computer rankings.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bcs_explained.html

This.

An undefeated Nebraska team will oust an undefeated Boise State team, simply because of the S.O.S. Boise State would complain about it, as they have a right to, but they are a product of their own conference. They enjoy immense success because their conference is weak as a collective whole.

Obviously, they were good enough to beat Oklahoma in 2007, but I would like to see them compete in a conference that is an AQ and a consistent top 5 or top 10 teams every year. You replace a team like Baylor with Boise State, and I say Boise State wins 10 games a year.

I would like to think you guys are right. But I have my doubts that SOS would outweigh the polls--the human component. Then again I haven’t looked into the maths.

if there are two undefeated teams from BCS conferences boise will get screwed

This.

If there are two undefeated teams playing tough BCS conference schedules, then Boise doesn't deserve to advance.