Legacy Statue

I know what it says on Huskers.com, but have (had) the Sports Illustrated from after that game, and I am pretty sure that there was pic of Coneally, C. Peter, D. Coleman, possibly Troy Dumas all engulfing Stewart in that SI. I am pretty sure that it was the pic that the statue was made from.

I bet one can find many pictures of Blackshirts engulfing offensive players from other teams in that 3-4 year stretch. But I have to believe a website ran by the Athletic Dept. knows exactly what they are talking about. They are the ones that saw the picture, hired the artist, and paid the bill for the darn thing!

Try the 94 CU game. There was a pic in SI that had the entire defense killing Kordell Stewart, which was used for the statue.

Which statue? Not this one:

That's the one.

It was definately vs Kansas State '95 that was the inspiration. The opposing player was KSU RB Mike Lawrence.

I'd made a little video of the play for a friend but I guess this thread is reason enough to just put it up on YouTube. Interestingly they didn't even give it a replay on the ABC broadcast!

Video

I threw in a low quality scan i had of a photograph that had appeared in the LJS at the time. maybe the same photograph referenced on Huskers.com?

FWIW, this is the Sports Illustrated that was out after the CU game in 1994.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/edb/reader.html?magID=SI&issueDate=19941107&mode=reader_vault

(GREAT site BTW, play around with old SI's)

Wasn't the 1994 CU game that night game where it rained/sleeted the whole game

Ooooh, maybe the 1996 game vs CU? I was at that game- even in the middle of July it makes me cold just thinking about it! IIRC it was a day game as opposed to night but either way the sun was no where to be found.

• Fire 4

Try the 94 CU game. There was a pic in SI that had the entire defense killing Kordell Stewart, which was used for the statue.

That's the one.

It was definately vs Kansas State '95 that was the inspiration. The opposing player was KSU RB Mike Lawrence.

I'd made a little video of the play for a friend but I guess this thread is reason enough to just put it up on YouTube. Interestingly they didn't even give it a replay on the ABC broadcast!

Video

I threw in a low quality scan i had of a photograph that had appeared in the LJS at the time. maybe the same photograph referenced on Huskers.com?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/edb/reader.html?magID=SI&issueDate=19941107&mode=reader_vault

Ooooh, maybe the 1996 game vs CU? I was at that game- even in the middle of July it makes me cold just thinking about it! IIRC it was a day game as opposed to night but either way the sun was no where to be found.

Thanks for posting the link to the video. That was cool!

That's the one.

Video

Holy crap!! You da man!! :thumbs

The CU game I'm talking about was definitely a night game. I'm sure you're thinking of a different game.

Great video - thanks for posting that.

I know what it says on Huskers.com, but have (had) the Sports Illustrated from after that game, and I am pretty sure that there was pic of Coneally, C. Peter, D. Coleman, possibly Troy Dumas all engulfing Stewart in that SI. I am pretty sure that it was the pic that the statue was made from.

I bet one can find many pictures of Blackshirts engulfing offensive players from other teams in that 3-4 year stretch. But I have to believe a website ran by the Athletic Dept. knows exactly what they are talking about. They are the ones that saw the picture, hired the artist, and paid the bill for the darn thing!

It looks like I stand corrected :dumdum , I swear that there were more pics from that CU game in SI (of course it was 16 years ago). I thought that there was one where Westbrook had beat Williams deep, but was overthrown by Stewart. :blink:

Anyway, the game that knapplc was speaking of was certainly 92, Frazier's frosh year. Night game, crappy weather, it was kind of the game (along with the Kansas game) that led to NU using the 4-3 as it's base defense. Alberts, White, Hill, Ed Stewart, etc were killing CU that night, I think. Hell, my memory is going...... :dunno

Anyway, the game that knapplc was speaking of was certainly 92, Frazier's frosh year. Night game, crappy weather, it was kind of the game (along with the Kansas game) that led to NU using the 4-3 as it's base defense. Alberts, White, Hill, Ed Stewart, etc were killing CU that night, I think. Hell, my memory is going...... :dunno

Thank you. That's gotta be the one.

Miserable weather, but man that was one hell of a fun game. :throwdabones1:

The guy on the right was the d00d that actually was making the tackle, but being a quiet easy going kinda guy he despises the limelight; wait, it's time for my meds again??? ok ma

post-426-127994429314.jpg

ok sorry I'm on call all weekend and just waiting for that call, not bored or anything :)

The CU game I'm talking about was definitely a night game. I'm sure you're thinking of a different game.

Great video - thanks for posting that.

well the 94 game was in the middle of the day and it was 24-7 Nebraska. Colorado had hardly any first downs and was dominated pretty much the entire game. And the 96 game was during a sleet storm. I remember parts of I 80 were closed and it was a close sloppy contest final score I believe 17-12 just off the top of my head. Terrible conditions for football, the thing that stood out the most was the cu kicker was kicking barefoot. I don't know what night game of Colorado you were thinking off. Hopefully these help with the clarification.