QB race

It's no different from past years. Competition at every position. Heck, even with Joe Ganz returning that was the case.

While I agree with you, this part of your post is incorrect. Before the 2008 season Bo Pelini said numerous times, and I quote, "Joe Ganz is our starting quarterback."

Hm. My bad. I guess I remembered incorrectly.

i think the biggest hooha has been made over martinez throwing ability. Some make it sound like he has no arms at all...when people much more involved/knowledgable say nothing but good things about him and that hes a quarterback-period.

I'd love to see some sources on this. Shawn Watson quoting some guy he used to coach telling him "He's a quarterback, period" doesn't really count. I mean, you really expect a coach making a public comment to say something bad about a kid?

i think the biggest hooha has been made over martinez throwing ability. Some make it sound like he has no arms at all...when people much more involved/knowledgable say nothing but good things about him and that hes a quarterback-period.

Yeah, for some reason many posters claim he's a horrible throwing qb. I'm not at all sure that's true. It's almost like those people hate the idea of our qb bringing something above average to the table.

The buzz about Martinez has come from players on the inside saying that he is a playmaker and a handful to play defense on. He will be a huge player in the QB race of 2011, but not 2010 I dont believe. I have read that he will have some special packages made for him, but nothing more unless we have two injuries.

Especially with Zac missing the spring I think it is anybody's race right now. I'd love to see Lee come back and look nothing but spectacular but at the same time it wasn't just his throwing arm I had a problem with last year. He definitely needs to be more decisive. Like Pelini said himself I don't think this thing is going to be decided for a while. I'd love to see Zac come back and be the man but just like anyone else I think he especially has a lot to prove. The Holiday bowl was nice but he definitely needs to show now that he can be consistent.

The buzz about Martinez has come from players on the inside saying that he is a playmaker and a handful to play defense on. He will be a huge player in the QB race of 2011, but not 2010 I dont believe. I have read that he will have some special packages made for him, but nothing more unless we have two injuries.

I heard that the defense is at a schematic disadvantage during practices. Apparently they are usually in a base cover3 because that's what the coaches like to run to effectively teach players during practices. I think that if Martinez were a starting QB for a team that Nebraska is playing this year, then Pelini would have no trouble stopping him because of his inability to pass.

Yeah, for some reason many posters claim he's a horrible throwing qb. I'm not at all sure that's true. It's almost like those people hate the idea of our qb bringing something above average to the table.

Not trying to be a prick but were you at the spring game? He showed why posters don't think he's that good of a passer. Of course it's not fair to assume he's not making improvements and won't continue to, but you could say the same for Lee and Green.

It's no different from past years. Competition at every position. Heck, even with Joe Ganz returning that was the case.

While I agree with you, this part of your post is incorrect. Before the 2008 season Bo Pelini said numerous times, and I quote, "Joe Ganz is our starting quarterback."

I'd love to see some sources on this. Shawn Watson quoting some guy he used to coach telling him "He's a quarterback, period" doesn't really count. I mean, you really expect a coach making a public comment to say something bad about a kid?

i counter with your sources that say he cant throw....other than ones from msg borad yahoos.

Most of all, I would like to see someone with leadership abilities under center. Sure you need to be able to throw the ball, but if you are throwing to the open receiver, it's not that hard. You don't have to be Peyton Manning to succeed in college. The guy from lat year, what's his name...Lee, he wasn't a leader. Oh, and he couldn't run worth a damn, save for playing against Arizona's hungover defense in the Holiday Bowl. :laughpound

Why are you guys dogging on him so much?? Taylor won a state title in CALIFORNIA!! he was also gatorade player of the year in his section in california.. he can play..I bet you anything that taylor will end up being the starter

Why are you guys dogging on him so much?? Taylor won a state title in CALIFORNIA!! he was also gatorade player of the year in his section in california.. he can play..I bet you anything that taylor will end up being the starter

Let's not get into high school accolades...thats a slippery slope. Matt Barkley never won a California state championship, would you rather have Martinez than Matt Barkley?

Let's not get into high school accolades...thats a slippery slope. Matt Barkley never won a California state championship, would you rather have Martinez than Matt Barkley?

thats not a fair comparison.. Im just saying he couldnt be horrible at throwing the ball and win a state title he has to be pretty good at it if not ok at it at least

thats not a fair comparison.. Im just saying he couldnt be horrible at throwing the ball and win a state title he has to be pretty good at it if not ok at it at least

Eh, saying he can't be horrible at throwing cause he won a high school title is way too broad of a statement though. PLENTY of high school state champions run option offenses cause they don't have good passers...granted they don't always get recruited as QBs to D1 programs like Martinez.

I'm not saying he's got a terrible arm, I'm just sayin he's got a lot of room to improve in the throwing department.

Eh, saying he can't be horrible at throwing cause he won a high school title is way too broad of a statement though. PLENTY of high school state champions run option offenses cause they don't have good passers...granted they don't always get recruited as QBs to D1 programs like Martinez.

I'm not saying he's got a terrible arm, I'm just sayin he's got a lot of room to improve in the throwing department.

Same with green though he could hit a few deep balls but all his throws across the middle and from 10-20 yard range looked horrible he,he either missed his target badly are threw it with a hard zip that made it almost uncatchable

i counter with your sources that say he cant throw....other than ones from msg borad yahoos.

BW isn't really a message board 'yahoo.'

He was right about Green when nobody wanted to believe it.

And "He did well in HS, he can't be that bad" is not a good argument at all...it does mean he's a winner, which is great; it says nothing about his skillset as a quarterback.