The 1997 National Championship Discussion Thread

Michigan had the defense, we had the offense, and an offensive line that was without question the best in the country at the time. Usually, I will side with the team that has the great defense, but Nebraska's defense was no pushover that year. They were a talented squad.

Both teams were great. The thing that really hurts Michigan is they played pretty awful in their bowl game while we dominated in ours.

Michigan's strength was their pass defense, which was one of the best of all time. They were not nearlt as strong against the run. All the matchups favored NU in a head to head matchup.

I would rather have a national championship that was decided by coaches of the game instead of sportswiters any day.

Why? Coaches can't watch games, and they have no idea what's going on. Bo doesn't even know the names of the best players on the teams we play, why do you think that type of person would be a qualified voter?

And the writers are always correct? They had USC picked to win nc this year and ND not even ranked.

You act like nobody had USC being good and the AP went out on a limb ranking them high. Both the AP and Coaches poll had USC and Notre Dame each ranked within 2 spots of themselves on their respective poll, so this argument has absolutely no credibility.

I was just simply stating the writers don't know anymore than the coaches.

Michigan had the defense, we had the offense, and an offensive line that was without question the best in the country at the time. Usually, I will side with the team that has the great defense, but Nebraska's defense was no pushover that year. They were a talented squad.

Both teams were great. The thing that really hurts Michigan is they played pretty awful in their bowl game while we dominated in ours.

Michigan's strength was their pass defense, which was one of the best of all time. They were not nearlt as strong against the run. All the matchups favored NU in a head to head matchup.

I remember another big 10 school that didn't stand a chance against the hurricanes about 10 years ago. How did that game work out? Point being, without playing it out on the field, you will never know. Saying that, I sure hope that Nebraska would have won that game against Michigan. I understand that on a husker board one would hold the opinions as most do here.

I remember another big 10 school that didn't stand a chance against the hurricanes about 10 years ago. How did that game work out? Point being, without playing it out on the field, you will never know. Saying that, I sure hope that Nebraska would have won that game against Michigan. I understand that on a husker board one would hold the opinions as most do here.

And as a non-Husker fan, your opinion is understandable as well. But we've got some pretty good foundations on which to back our assertions. And the bottom line is, Michigan could have played for the real trophy. All the Big Ten had to do was join the Bowl Alliance like the rest of the country and we'd have settled it on the field. It was their choice not to, and that's the only reason they get to claim a portion of the 1997 title. It should have been settled on the field, and you can blame Michigan/the Big Ten for that.

And as a non-Husker fan, your opinion is understandable as well. But we've got some pretty good foundations on which to back our assertions. And the bottom line is, Michigan could have played for the real trophy. All the Big Ten had to do was join the Bowl Alliance like the rest of the country and we'd have settled it on the field. It was their choice not to, and that's the only reason they get to claim a portion of the 1997 title. It should have been settled on the field, and you can blame Michigan/the Big Ten for that.

I understand your point, but once the BIG10/PAC10 joined up, thus creating the BCS, we got the mess we have now. Is it better than we had before? Sure. Is it really settling it on the field? Not really. Until a true playoff system is in place, you will never have a true championship. This is beside the point....I just find it funny when people are over the top about their team. Almost every fan base is this way so I am not singling out Husker fans. As for the polls, I take those with a grain of salt. Coaches and media have their own bias and they don't always vote for teams that are deserving.

I understand your point, but once the BIG10/PAC10 joined up, thus creating the BCS, we got the mess we have now. Is it better than we had before? Sure. Is it really settling it on the field? Not really. Until a true playoff system is in place, you will never have a true championship. This is beside the point....I just find it funny when people are over the top about their team. Almost every fan base is this way so I am not singling out Husker fans. As for the polls, I take those with a grain of salt. Coaches and media have their own bias and they don't always vote for teams that are deserving.

Whether it's a mess today or not is irrelevant to the fact that Michigan and the Big Ten screwed themselves out of a chance to play for the undisputed national championship in 1997. Under the rules of the Bowl Alliance the top two teams in 1997, Michigan and Nebraska, would have met and settled it on the field. The Big Ten ducked out of the Bowl Alliance and that's that. That is not being "over the top" about Nebraska, it's a fact.

Your sidebar about over-the-top fans is pretty funny coming from an Ohio State fan. When celebrations get out of control on Chittenden to the point where riot police have to be called in.... that's not giving you any kind of moral authority to call out other fans.

• Fire 1

And let's be honest. The only reason Michigan even got as much of a share is because we squeaked by an unranked Missouri team the same day Florida St and Michigan each happened to roll unbeaten top 5 teams. Remember, it was "judgement day". #1 Nebraska @ Missouri. #2 Michigan @ #3 Penn St. #4 Florida St. @ #5 North Carolina. All 5 teams unbeaten. It was the weekend that would go along way to sorting things out. Now, if Nebraska beats Missouri handily and remains #1 througout, and simple fact is that it would have been 1994 all over again, and Michigan would have been left out all together. Instead, Florida St and Michigan both rolled in their game and Nebraska struggled. Nebraska was bumped to #3 and rightfully so. Florida St. was then upset by Florida, pinning Nebraska against Tennessee instead of FSU.

I am confidant that the 1997 NU squad would be a 10-13 pt favorite over the Michigan squad and would beat that Michigan team 8 out of every 10 times they played. NU was ABSOLUTELY deserving of that championship... Michigan, on the other hand... I am not convinced was deserving

Look that the BCS era, there have been 2 games with teams +10 in spread leading up to the game. Both teams won. Sometimes that 20% happens.

Whether it's a mess today or not is irrelevant to the fact that Michigan and the Big Ten screwed themselves out of a chance to play for the undisputed national championship in 1997. Under the rules of the Bowl Alliance the top two teams in 1997, Michigan and Nebraska, would have met and settled it on the field. The Big Ten ducked out of the Bowl Alliance and that's that. That is not being "over the top" about Nebraska, it's a fact.

Your sidebar about over-the-top fans is pretty funny coming from an Ohio State fan. When celebrations get out of control on Chittenden to the point where riot police have to be called in.... that's not giving you any kind of moral authority to call out other fans.

Yep, the big 10 has historically made the worst decisions and they try and duck out of all the big games :rolleyes:. Must by why Nebraska joined up with them.

Did you miss what I said? "almost every fan base is that way"? That statement would include schools like OSU. Also, my morals are not the same as those the riot police were called in for. Since you brought it up, how many of those arrested were OSU students? Of those that were OSU students, how many were kicked out of school? I am glad you let the action of a few (less that a faction of a percent) skew your opinion of everyone.

I just don't understand how and why everyone thinks it would have been an easy win for Nebraska. That is all I am saying. You guys gave your answers and there is no real way of proving anyone's point. I am also sure the '97 Michigan team, just like Nebraska, wouldn't have been afraid to play that game.

Yep, the big 10 has historically made the worst decisions and they try and duck out of all the big games :rolleyes:. Must by why Nebraska joined up with them.

Did you miss what I said? "almost every fan base is that way"? That statement would include schools like OSU. Also, my morals are not the same as those the riot police were called in for. Since you brought it up, how many of those arrested were OSU students? Of those that were OSU students, how many were kicked out of school? I am glad you let the action of a few (less that a faction of a percent) skew your opinion of everyone.

I just don't understand how and why everyone thinks it would have been an easy win for Nebraska. That is all I am saying. You guys gave your answers and there is no real way of proving anyone's point. I am also sure the '97 Michigan team, just like Nebraska, wouldn't have been afraid to play that game.

The reason we think it would have been easy is because at that point in time, we had every reason to believe so. Every big game against a top 10 opponent for about a 3-4 run there, we rolled. It all started in 1994. Check out the scores of games against top 10 opponent from 1994-1997.

#2 Colorado W 24-7

@#3 Miami w 24-17

#8 Kansas St w 49-25

@#7 Colorado w 44-21

@#10 Kansas w 41-3

#2 Florida w 62-24

#5 Colorado w 17-12

#10 Virginia Tech w 41-21

#2 Washington w 27-14

#17 Kansas St (finished season 11-1 and in top 10) w 56-26

#3 Tennessee w 42-17

So, as you can see, Nebraska had its fair share of overwhelming success against top 10 opponents, even top 5 opponents, to easily suggest that dominating an-at times underwhelming-#2 Michingan team would not be out of question.

This is a Nebraska message board. Go to Bucknuts or BuckeyePlanet and see how they talk about the Buckeyes. You don't need this pointed out to you, right? We're not going to have a completely objective conversation about the Huskers here. ;)

This is a Nebraska message board. Go to Bucknuts or BuckeyePlanet and see how they talk about the Buckeyes. You don't need this pointed out to you, right? We're not going to have a completely objective conversation about the Huskers here. ;)

This isn't an OSU message board? Crap, I have been spending my time at the wrong place (bucknuts and their affiliated sites makes me want to puke). BTW, I would have loved to see Nebraska beat Michigan in '97 but I guess we will never know for sure. As per the title of this thread....It is hard to argue that Nebraska isn't deserving of the '97 title.

That's a very good point. 1997 was the first year I followed college football. I watched every 1 of Nebraska's games & I seen Michigan's last 3 games & their bowl game. I would literally bet every dollar I have on the '97 Huskers over '97 Meatchicken.