Aggies are upset

Let's play "Guess what team's message board gave the following quote"

The Big 12 remains a conference held together by dental floss, hype, and the fluttering hands of Dan Beebe, a raft made of driftwood and garbage coming apart in a light squall, a herd of cats Beebe is enticing across the plains with a dwindling supply of Fancy Feast thrown from the back of a smoking pickup truck with three flat tires and a tubercular engine.

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2010/7/29/1594170/the-curious-index-7-29-2010

Looks like it didn't originate from a message board at all.

Hah - Not only ShaggyBevo is crude and lewd, they plagarize too Post #38

It still amazes me that people think that the withdrawl damages are something NU would have to pay. If you take a couple of minutes to read the bylaws you would realize that the Big 12 is going to withhold revenue distributions from NU. The way it will play out most likely (assuming the negotiations fail) is that NU and CU's share of the revenue will be placed into an escrow like account after NU and\or CU files suit to void the clause in the bylaws. Then it will be fought out in the courts as to if the Big 12 gets the whole amount, or any at all.

The reasons it probably won't go to court are that the Big 12 and the member schools won't want to have all of the dirty laundry aired about what really happened.

Read this, it explains it VERY clearly.

http://www.omaha.com...IGRED/707269830

In the Big 12's disagreement with Nebraska and Colorado over fees to be paid for leaving the league, Commissioner Dan Beebe said Monday he doesn't expect a court fight. "The odds on that are zero,'' Beebe told The World-Herald. "Nobody wants that. We have great relationships, and I think we'll work it out.''

Big 12 bylaws detail penalties for leaving the league, depending on how much notice is given.

Perlman, a few days after NU revealed its move to the Big Ten, questioned the idea of any payment.

"I thought in the context, (an exit fee) would be inappropriate,'' Perlman said. "From what I understand the Big 12 has done, I think it's even more inappropriate.''

No money would be taken out of any current Nebraska account to exit. What the Huskers might lose out on is up to 80 percent of the conference revenue distribution they would have received. That could be as much as $15.5 million.

"We have not focused on the amount of the penalty provided in the bylaws,'' Perlman wrote Monday, "but it is a percentage of two years' distribution.''

Beebe said he hopes the disagreement is resolved "by early fall or even before that.''

So another way of looking at it is the Big 12 will keep at most 80% of what NU would have got this year, and will pay us 20% of expected income for not being in the Big 12 next year.

EDIT:

Really the only money NU is losing out on is the 80% this year (about 7.5 million). Next year the Big 10 said while we will not get a full share, it will not be less than what we would have made in the Big 12.

Plus we get the CIC money

The Big 12 remains a conference held together by dental floss, hype, and the fluttering hands of Dan Beebe, a raft made of driftwood and garbage coming apart in a light squall, a herd of cats Beebe is enticing across the plains with a dwindling supply of Fancy Feast thrown from the back of a smoking pickup truck with three flat tires and a tubercular engine.

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2010/7/29/1594170/the-curious-index-7-29-2010

Look at post #35. He quotes it as Every Day Should Be Saturday's take.

OK, I missed the attribute above the quote box. I'm sorry to Groinhorn and any other shaggy bevo posters around here

OK, I missed the attribute above the quote box. I'm sorry to Groinhorn and any other shaggy bevo posters around here

I wouldn't worry about it. They say douchey sh#t all the time on that board.

EDIT: Not that I thought what you said was douchey, I'm just throwing in a little perspective.

I wouldn't worry about it. They say douchey sh#t all the time on that board.

EDIT: Not that I thought what you said was douchey, I'm just throwing in a little perspective.

Oh, I know

And you will never see "I'm sorry" or "I was wrong" ANYWHERE over there

It still amazes me that people think that the withdrawl damages are something NU would have to pay. If you take a couple of minutes to read the bylaws you would realize that the Big 12 is going to withhold revenue distributions from NU. The way it will play out most likely (assuming the negotiations fail) is that NU and CU's share of the revenue will be placed into an escrow like account after NU and\or CU files suit to void the clause in the bylaws. Then it will be fought out in the courts as to if the Big 12 gets the whole amount, or any at all.

The reasons it probably won't go to court are that the Big 12 and the member schools won't want to have all of the dirty laundry aired about what really happened.

In the Big 12's disagreement with Nebraska and Colorado over fees to be paid for leaving the league, Commissioner Dan Beebe said Monday he doesn't expect a court fight. "The odds on that are zero,'' Beebe told The World-Herald. "Nobody wants that. We have great relationships, and I think we'll work it out.''

Big 12 bylaws detail penalties for leaving the league, depending on how much notice is given.

Perlman, a few days after NU revealed its move to the Big Ten, questioned the idea of any payment.

"I thought in the context, (an exit fee) would be inappropriate,'' Perlman said. "From what I understand the Big 12 has done, I think it's even more inappropriate.''

No money would be taken out of any current Nebraska account to exit. What the Huskers might lose out on is up to 80 percent of the conference revenue distribution they would have received. That could be as much as $15.5 million.

"We have not focused on the amount of the penalty provided in the bylaws,'' Perlman wrote Monday, "but it is a percentage of two years' distribution.''

Beebe said he hopes the disagreement is resolved "by early fall or even before that.''

So another way of looking at it is the Big 12 will keep at most 80% of what NU would have got this year, and will pay us 20% of expected income for not being in the Big 12 next year.

EDIT:

Really the only money NU is losing out on is the 80% this year (about 7.5 million). Next year the Big 10 said while we will not get a full share, it will not be less than what we would have made in the Big 12.

I thought that they would withhold 80% of 2009 and 2010 money, because it has not been distributed yet? :dunno

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/texasam/7129321.html

Equal shares for all conference members looks more and more peaceful all the time.

I wonder why Nebraska voted for (and benefited from) unequal revenue shares from the Big 12?

That happened like 15 years ago. It's IRRELEVANT.

Actually, I believe it is relevant. When the Big 12 was formed, the strength of the conference was held in the North primarily by Nebraska; Colorado; and KState. Over the years, the North power has diminished while the South teams have gotten better and hold the upper hand with the exception of A&M. Consequently, two of the three original powers are now headed off to other conferences. The problem with staying in the Big 12 as it currently stands is even if we become a national contender we're still in the weak North. By being a one man show up in the North, we stand a far less chance of TV revenue when playing other North schools than teams in the South playing each other. Financially, it did make sense for us to move to the Big 10 even though I cringe at the thought of it. However, I completely understand how other teams fanbases get the impression that we simply took our ball and went home. There were administrative officials from Nebraska quoted as saying way back then that they didn't feel it was fair that a team be penalized by having to share their revenue with lesser schools.

The money was very different back then as well. Most conferences split a pie that is three times the revenue they earned in 1995. When you have an unequal distribution of revenue, those inequalities become more and more exaggerated the higher the dollar amounts you're talking about. If Nebraska made 2-3 million per year more than Iowa State in 1995, the impact is far less than making 6-9 million more per year today. The economics of the league as formed in 1995 didn't mean that the rich schools would vastly outstrip the less rich. It meant that they would be rewarded based on the work they've done, but everyone would be in the same revenue neighborhood.

Today that's all changed. TV contracts in the hundreds of millions of dollars make those inequalities far greater, and make the danger of a top-heavy conference even more realistic. The Big 12 simply cannot support itself as a conference of lords and serfs. These minor rumblings are just the start, and Nebraska was smart enough to realize where this was heading, and move to a more stable situation. The fact that it's a more equal revenue-sharing conference is just icing.

I was being tongue in cheek, guys, sorry.

Anyhow, I thought that the difference in revenue sharing last year in the Big 12 from first to twelfth place was somewhere like $2 million?

EDIT:

I thought that they would withhold 80% of 2009 and 2010 money, because it has not been distributed yet? dunno.gif

This is correct, it is the last 2 years you are in the league. I think some of the money HAD been distributed already, and they mentioned we won't get any next year unless an agreement is reached.

EDIT:

I thought that they would withhold 80% of 2009 and 2010 money, because it has not been distributed yet? dunno.gif

This is correct, it is the last 2 years you are in the league. I think some of the money HAD been distributed already, and they mentioned we won't get any next year unless an agreement is reached.

Thanks for straightening me out :thumbs

Not quite that simple. The rule is written for a 2 year and a 1 year notice. According to the 1 year notice (which NU gave) up to 90% of the conference revenue for a single year is withheld. But the bylaws also mention that these are supposed to be payments made to repay damages suffered by the remaining members. I think that's what Perlman meant when he said that shouldn't apply in NU's case, because the remaining teams will be making MORE money not less. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Not quite that simple. The rule is written for a 2 year and a 1 year notice. According to the 1 year notice (which NU gave) up to 90% of the conference revenue for a single year is withheld. But the bylaws also mention that these are supposed to be payments made to repay damages suffered by the remaining members. I think that's what Perlman meant when he said that shouldn't apply in NU's case, because the remaining teams will be making MORE money not less. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Where did you get that? 90% is for 6-12 months, the effective date was approximately 13 months after the announcement. Here's the full text below, it spells out that if you leave they will withhold revenue for the two years prior to the effective date on a formula that takes a percentage of the sum of the two years revenue.

3.3 Effect of Withdrawal From Conference Other Than by Giving Proper Notice. If, other than by giving a proper Notice pursuant to Section 3.1, a Member Institution (a "Breaching Member") withdraws, resigns, or otherwise ceases to participate as a full Member Institution in full compliance with these Rules, or gives notice or otherwise states its intent to so withdraw, resign, or cease to participate in the future (a "Breach"), then the Member Institutions agree that such Breach would cause financial hardship to the remaining Member Institutions of the Conference, and that the financial consequences cannot be measured or estimated with certainty at this time. Therefore, in recognition of the obligations and responsibilities of each Member Institution to all other Member Institutions of the Conference, each Member Institution agrees that after such Breach, the amount of Conference revenue that would otherwise have been distributed or distributable to the Breaching Member during the two (2) years prior to the end of the Current Term or the then-current Additional Term, as the case may be, shall be reduced by an amount that equals the sum of the aggregate of such revenues times the following percentages (such sum being the "Aggregate Reduction"); if Notice is received less than two years but on or before eighteen months prior to the Effective Date, 70%; if Notice is received less than eighteen months but on or before twelve months prior to the Effective Date, 80%; if Notice is received less than twelve months but on or before six months prior to the Effective Date, 90%; or if Notice is received less than six months prior to the Effective Date, 100%.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/texasam/7129321.html

Equal shares for all conference members looks more and more peaceful all the time.

I wonder why Nebraska voted for (and benefited from) unequal revenue shares from the Big 12?

That happened like 15 years ago. It's IRRELEVANT.

Actually, I believe it is relevant. When the Big 12 was formed, the strength of the conference was held in the North primarily by Nebraska; Colorado; and KState. Over the years, the North power has diminished while the South teams have gotten better and hold the upper hand with the exception of A&M. Consequently, two of the three original powers are now headed off to other conferences. The problem with staying in the Big 12 as it currently stands is even if we become a national contender we're still in the weak North. By being a one man show up in the North, we stand a far less chance of TV revenue when playing other North schools than teams in the South playing each other. Financially, it did make sense for us to move to the Big 10 even though I cringe at the thought of it. However, I completely understand how other teams fanbases get the impression that we simply took our ball and went home. There were administrative officials from Nebraska quoted as saying way back then that they didn't feel it was fair that a team be penalized by having to share their revenue with lesser schools.

The money was very different back then as well. Most conferences split a pie that is three times the revenue they earned in 1995. When you have an unequal distribution of revenue, those inequalities become more and more exaggerated the higher the dollar amounts you're talking about. If Nebraska made 2-3 million per year more than Iowa State in 1995, the impact is far less than making 6-9 million more per year today. The economics of the league as formed in 1995 didn't mean that the rich schools would vastly outstrip the less rich. It meant that they would be rewarded based on the work they've done, but everyone would be in the same revenue neighborhood.

Today that's all changed. TV contracts in the hundreds of millions of dollars make those inequalities far greater, and make the danger of a top-heavy conference even more realistic. The Big 12 simply cannot support itself as a conference of lords and serfs. These minor rumblings are just the start, and Nebraska was smart enough to realize where this was heading, and move to a more stable situation. The fact that it's a more equal revenue-sharing conference is just icing.

2nd. This is exactly what I've been trying to argue with some people.

The fact that the Forgotten Five had to bribe the wealthiest schools only emphasizes the lords/serfs analogy.

Good for OU and UT for turning down that offer, if true. One wonders if they recognized what a bad PR move that would be or just that it would not help if they wanted to keep a remotely healthy conference relationship with the Five.

I am surprised that A&M is taking that money though. Not necessarily out of some moral issue but its not like those exit fees are going to be an annual source of funds. then where is the money going to come from after CU and NU have paid?

A&M should have left when they had a golden chance to do so. You can't get blood from a turnip. Making ultimatums like this and getting bribes from your lesser neighbors... the money they want simply won't be there for long.

Yeah it'll be interesting mainly if the big12 can get the whole (paraphrased) "we'll make more money without them" and "the league is stronger then before" type quotes the commissioner made at the time, plus the money that was promised to the schools remaining ohh and the whole 6 schools are going to the pac16, texas talking to the pac10/pac16 and big 10 to be ignored in court.

When Texas and Oklahoma said they'd go without the special payment of the schools leaving it was for good reason. They (and the conference) aren't going to see it. They may want it to be seen as some altruistic special moment with the conference, but its not, nobody turns down millions of extra dollars for nothing... What leading up to this point would even suggest that either of them would do that? They know that if this ever gets to a court everything that went on goes on public record and its not just rumors anymore that Texas was trying to talk the big 10 into taking tech and A&M and were negotiating with the pac10 (and probably sec at some point). It's damaging to their schools public image and even more-so to the conference they are stuck in. We could probably sue them for a buyout for leaving at this point, call it a stipend for getting started elsewhere and as long as it kept everyone's mouths shut we might even get it.

Never see a dime from us if we push it, and it sounds like we will.

Where did you get that? 90% is for 6-12 months, the effective date was approximately 13 months after the announcement. Here's the full text below, it spells out that if you leave they will withhold revenue for the two years prior to the effective date on a formula that takes a percentage of the sum of the two years revenue.

3.3 Effect of Withdrawal From Conference Other Than by Giving Proper Notice. If, other than by giving a proper Notice pursuant to Section 3.1, a Member Institution (a "Breaching Member") withdraws, resigns, or otherwise ceases to participate as a full Member Institution in full compliance with these Rules, or gives notice or otherwise states its intent to so withdraw, resign, or cease to participate in the future (a "Breach"), then the Member Institutions agree that such Breach would cause financial hardship to the remaining Member Institutions of the Conference, and that the financial consequences cannot be measured or estimated with certainty at this time. Therefore, in recognition of the obligations and responsibilities of each Member Institution to all other Member Institutions of the Conference, each Member Institution agrees that after such Breach, the amount of Conference revenue that would otherwise have been distributed or distributable to the Breaching Member during the two (2) years prior to the end of the Current Term or the then-current Additional Term, as the case may be, shall be reduced by an amount that equals the sum of the aggregate of such revenues times the following percentages (such sum being the "Aggregate Reduction"); if Notice is received less than two years but on or before eighteen months prior to the Effective Date, 70%; if Notice is received less than eighteen months but on or before twelve months prior to the Effective Date, 80%; if Notice is received less than twelve months but on or before six months prior to the Effective Date, 90%; or if Notice is received less than six months prior to the Effective Date, 100%.

I was under the impression that the "Effective Date" was Jan. 1 2011 putting us at 7 months out, which is the 90% number. I got the 1 year vs. 2 years of revenue back during the summer when articles were being written about it. Not sure where that came from, but I remember there being several parts of the bylaws being in consideration here.