Commentary: Nil By Mouth

Let me get this straight: the author couldn't find anything interesting and controversial to report on during media days, so he writes this entire LONG spiel that basically says "the coaches used coachspeak." SHOCKER! And he quotes Fitzgerald at the end to sound intellectual.

Good writing, I suppose, but what a waste of an article!

Let me get this straight: the author couldn't find anything interesting and controversial to report on during media days, so he writes this entire LONG spiel that basically says "the coaches used coachspeak." SHOCKER! And he quotes Fitzgerald at the end to sound intellectual.

Well, the sports editor told the reporter to write article with so many words on the Big 12 meeting . . . and the meeting was boring.

So MOD does this qualify as a personal attack since the OP is also the author? Sam must not have enough posts to know what he's talking about, heh...

Dan Hawkins smiled his way through the first step of his own personal green mile.

I liked that.

So MOD does this qualify as a personal attack since the OP is also the author? Sam must not have enough posts to know what he's talking about, heh...

It's not a personal attack.

Do you know for a fact that omahapanda is Sam McKewon?

It's not a personal attack.

Do you know for a fact that omahapanda is Sam McKewon?

It's pretty common knowledge on Huskers Illustrated, so unless someone likes to impersonate Sam with the exact same MO (me qualifying my statements), then yes.

Then Sam, my apologies for coming off as a total prick. I've been in the habit of criticizing all sorts of articles I find issues with from the comfortable confines of an anonymous message board. It's always easy to be an internet tough guy and I definitely fall into this trap sometimes. It's weird that having that layer of anonymity results in my not according the same level of respect to people I would face-to-face.

I do stick with my opinion, though. You're a fine writer, but there was no reporting here. Behind all the metaphors and caricatures (what's up with portraying Dan Beebe as a "smirk"er?), there's a lot of speculative commentary with no actual information - outside of such cursory statements as 'Bill Snyder was mill-mannered.' And that was disappointing. If you'll forgive a little direct criticism, it seems like the purpose of these articles are less a reporting of information than a demonstration of deft prose and witty pop culture references.

But what can I say. It's that dreadfully slow offseason and there's not much to report, right? Maybe I'm just cranky without my Husker fix.

in a way, aren't we all sam mckewon?

So Sam McKewon is a metaphor for all man, or at least, all Husker Fan? He is the zeitgeist of our times, the Everyman, the mortar which binds us together? Is that what you're saying?

in a way.

or, he aspires to be the greatest husker fan, which is us, so we represent a reflection of the man sam mckewon wants to be, nay, needs to be. we exist as a manifestation of his desire.