Teachers getting ready

Noticed in the last couple of weeks, a lot of teachers coming into the place I work getting ready for the upcoming school year.

All are excited at the opening of their schools and can't wait to get in the classroom.

Their carts are full of supplies to make learning a little bit easier for students.

I've cut countless 12" x 12" squares of melamine fiberboard for dry erase boards, wood for computer desks, etc.

Some, if not all, of this is coming out of their pockets.

Just wanted to say thanks to those who do that little bit extra.

Noticed in the last couple of weeks, a lot of teachers coming into the place I work getting ready for the upcoming school year.

All are excited at the opening of their schools and can't wait to get in the classroom.

Their carts are full of supplies to make learning a little bit easier for students.

I've cut countless 12" x 12" squares of melamine fiberboard for dry erase boards, wood for computer desks, etc.

I am one of those- back to school this Thursday and I can't wait. I do buy alot of supplies on my own, but I never give it a second thought. Afterall, I didn't get into teaching for the money:)

Teaching has to be one of the roughest jobs out there. Where I grew up (inner city Richmond, CA), you would be happy if no one got shot or stabbed. Teaching was almost an afterthought. I don't know how teachers can do it in those conditions, but God bless them!

As a proud teacher for many years i'd like to say thank you. It is a thankless job and i spend lots of my own money to help da youth... with that being said....

I am currently accepting donations, tickets to husker games (flights included to and from lincoln a plus) dates with smoking with wife or sister, cigarettes (menthol), tree house, fishing equipment, tattoo work, more dates with hot women in the area, rims, yamaha drum set, collection of playboys from the 1960's, old handguns, one of those smart birds that talk a lot... or just love will do too.....

• Fire 1

Teachers get paid next to nothing, and this whole nonsense of having to buy their own supplies to teach with is unacceptable. I gripe about my job once in a while, but at least I don't have to buy the paper and keyboard and note pads I need to do my work.

Ugh. It burns me up just to think about this. :steam

Do teachers really get paid that little? The median teacher salary is roughly $ 42,000, and considering they only work approximately 9 months out of the year, they are earning the equivilant of a $ 56,000 job in terms of rate. That's still not mind blowing, but only working 75-80% of the year certainly hurts.

Yeah, most teachers I know take a full month work summer school or a part-time job over the summer and make alot of supplemental income, on top of the massiv amounts of vacation they get, doesn't sound like such a bad set-up.

My wife just retired after a 32 year career as a teacher and administrator in the SF School District. Most every teacher that is out there pitches in a bit of there own money for class room items. I'll join you in saying thanks.

T_O_B

:worship:worship:worship

Do teachers really get paid that little? The median teacher salary is roughly $ 42,000, and considering they only work approximately 9 months out of the year, they are earning the equivilant of a $ 56,000 job in terms of rate. That's still not mind blowing, but only working 75-80% of the year certainly hurts.

Median teacher salary for the nation or which region? You can't use national statistics when you're speaking about a specific region because COL differences make those numbers irrelevant.

we put up with a lot of sh#t from many many kinds of people and bust ass.... i like to think we basicly do 12 months of work in 10 months of time...... it equally out TRUST me

we put up with a lot of sh#t from many many kinds of people and bust ass.... i like to think we basicly do 12 months of work in 10 months of time...... it equally out TRUST me

i had a teacher come to work for me, wanted extra income during the summer. 3 days later i never heard from him again. teachers do a lot, sure, but be aware of what that summer off thing looks like to the rest of the public when complaining. every job has its ups, every job has its downs. i get time off in the winter, and laugh my ass off at people working. you cant sit there and tell me that teachers dont feel the same way when theyre at the beach.

Median teacher salary for the nation or which region? You can't use national statistics when you're speaking about a specific region because COL differences make those numbers irrelevant.

With a masters and 30 years of experience I make 45000. My first 2 years of college I took many of the same courses my engineering friends did. I started at 10000, and they started at what I make now, 30 years later. Starting teachers make about 25000 in our district. One of my former students just got a federal government job starting at 32000, and he only finished one year of college.

That being said, I love teaching and you have to look at getting 3 months off (whether you work or need the decompression time) Personally, I would like to spend 4-6 weeks working in the summer doing all of the CRAP the district expects us to do so I can concentrate on teaching during the year. Appropriately compensated, of course.

Don't worry, I won't pull a "Jet Blue"

image6757908x_370x278.jpg