37 signees? "Houston Nutt" style recruiting?

So I would like to alert everyone to some possibly unwarranted criticism from the college football world this season. While driving home from the gym today, the two morning guys on 960 The Ref in Athens started talking about how quickly Georgia's defense could go from not so good to good under new DC Todd Grantham (I am skeptical) and they cited Nebraska's success under the Pelini brothers. At this point, I was pretty stoked that they had some nice things to say about the Huskers, but then both guys started talking about how they each needed a magnifying glass to read the names of Nebraska's 37 signess for the 2010 class! Obviously, they counted the 22 (minus Bronson Marsh) and added that to the walk-on total (16) for a grand total of 37. They then talked about how Houston Nutt gets so much criticism for oversigning and that Nebraska was building their defensive depth through oversigning. I wrote an e-mail today pointing out their error and hopefully they will address this tomorrow, but I'm afraid that these kinds of errors might continue to be made by media who only look at the bottom line.

I know that that was kind of a long story, but it just strikes me as being VERY odd that these guys could have looked over this...or maybe they've never heard of the walk-on tradition.

rant.gif

I don't see how that could be just spin though. It's flat out wrong. Walk-ons do not contribute to oversigning. I'm sure we oversign like a lot of programs do, but not to a strong degree at all. I would love some more concrete information on this.

I agree it's flat out wrong but isn't that what one would consider putting a spin on things?

EDIT: Saunders, that baby in your avatar is full of awesomeness!! :thumbs

IMO, oversigning means that the coaches are promising 30-40 players scholarships (which they sign the LOI for, hence the term "oversigning"). Walk-ons choose to go to that certain school with no financial backing, and many times choose that school over a lesser (caliber or division) school that they'd have a scholarship at.

I see nothing wrong with having a bunch of walk-ons coming in.

Because I know y'all are dying for a follow-up, I called in to the radio station today, got on the air and clarified the situation. The hosts weren't aware of the "walk-on situation" at Nebraska. Hmmm....

Since they dubbed me the resident Nebraska expert of Athens, Georgia with my call ("Nebraska Tom") I had to explain the general sentiment of Nebraska fans about moving to the Big 10 (good, although Big 10 games always look dark and dreary on TV, get to go to Penn State and beat up on some gel-heads), how the Big 12 North is gonna do against us this year (Kansas sucks, Kansas State isn't great, don't know how Nick Nolte at CU still has a job, Iowa State loss last year was a joke, Mizzou will be ok) while also clarifying that Bo Pelini did not recruit his son this year (Mark Pelini out of Ohio). Don't worry, I didn't stray too far from the consensus of HuskerBoard members on these topics (believe it or not thumbsup.gif ).

• Fire 2

Might as well get ready for a bunch of "county scholarships" nonsense in-case Nebraska does start beating their teams. Seen it on a few boards already this summer cited as one of the only two reason Nebraska's ever been good. (the second being huge numbers of partial qualifiers.)

This is such a stupid myth. I had never even heard this phrase until last year, I think, when some yahoo fan of another team came on here spouting off about them. I could dig up the post where I did the research and debunked the whole thing, but I don't care. Let them gnash their teeth. The more they bring this stuff up, the more you have to realize they have a reason to bring it up - and that's because we're winning again.

Nobody cared enough to throw "county scholarship" allegations at us during the BC Era. That alone tells you it's bogus.

Might as well get ready for a bunch of "county scholarships" nonsense in-case Nebraska does start beating their teams. Seen it on a few boards already this summer cited as one of the only two reason Nebraska's ever been good. (the second being huge numbers of partial qualifiers.)

This is such a stupid myth. I had never even heard this phrase until last year, I think, when some yahoo fan of another team came on here spouting off about them. I could dig up the post where I did the research and debunked the whole thing, but I don't care. Let them gnash their teeth. The more they bring this stuff up, the more you have to realize they have a reason to bring it up - and that's because we're winning again.

Nobody cared enough to throw "county scholarship" allegations at us during the BC Era. That alone tells you it's bogus.

You are going to combat message board ignorance with facts and documentation? Preposterous my good sir. BTW, horn aggies are proclaiming the demise of NU as a direct consequence of Texas coming to the rescue on a white horse when the Big 12 was formed.