Mosquitos....you suck

Is it just me or are the Mosquitos really bad this year compared to last summer. I've killed huge ones who appear to be taking steroids. I have sprayed myself numerous times before going outside doing yard work and they're still biting me. They'll bite me some more outside so I'll spray more repellent and they still bite me. Are these guys wearing gas masks or what. My wife was only outside for 10-15 minutes and she is just covered from head to toe with mosquito bites.

Must be your area. You're north of Lincoln in the Wahoo-ish area, right? I think you guys have gotten a lot more rain than we have down here in Lincoln. There was something on the news or webz a while back about this being a bad summer for bugs due to the early rain, but we haven't had much problem here.

cranefly-hand.jpg

Crane flies?

These things used to scare the s--- out of me since I thought they were just giant mosquitos. But they don't bite. You got my hopes up earlier about them eating mosquitoes (they're commonly referred to as skeeter eaters), but sadly that's not true either. According to Wikipedia, while larvae may feed on mosquito larvae, all adults do is mate and die.

And float around aimlessly since they suck at flying.

For what its worth, I've found that the scented (or unscented) insect repellants are totally worthless. You have to use the Deep Woods variety.

It also helps to lather yourself in bug spray and then put out some repellent-less decoys, like your neighbors kids or close friends.

• Fire 1

Totally agree that this year seems to be worse even here in the city. I was sitting on the front porch talking on the phone for ten minutes last night and came inside with 5 new bites around my ankles.

The ankle bites right on the bone/vein are the worst.

I ended up going to a 24 hour Walmart at 11:00 at night (late for me) to get a tube of cortizone. That cortizone stuff is a life saver. It really does stop the itch. At least for awhile.

Crane Fly pic

Crane flies?

These things used to scare the s--- out of me since I thought they were just giant mosquitos. But they don't bite. You got my hopes up earlier about them eating mosquitoes (they're commonly referred to as skeeter eaters), but sadly that's not true either. According to Wikipedia, while larvae may feed on mosquito larvae, all adults do is mate and die.

And float around aimlessly since they suck at flying.

That thing would scare the bejeeezus outta me. I'd probably have a full-blown conniption if I saw one that big. I kill crane flies that get in the house and scare the wife, but they're not even half that size - which is still quite big for a bug that looks like a mosquito.