Mizzou Definitely More Banged up than Us....

Link

Injuries mount at Mizzou

By Mike DeArmond - Posted on 12 August 2010

By the end of Missouri’s ninth practice of August on Thursday morning, the injury toll had risen to a disturbing 10 players, including defensive starters Aldon Smith, Kenji Jackson and Andrew Gachkar.

“We’re not playing tomorrow," Missouri coach Gary Pinkel said, later adding that most of the battered and bruised would be able to play if the Tigers had a game on Saturday.

Pinkel bluntly swept aside questions about the mounting injury total.

“It doesn’t matter,” Pinkel said. “I don’t really care who gets hurt; there’s no excuses. We don’t care. The bottom line, people move up and whoever is playing game day against Illinois (Sept. 4 opener), plays.”

As harsh as that might have sounded, it was in keeping with Pinkel’s often-stated refusal to dwell on how injuries might affect the team’s success or failure.

“We don’t ever talk about woe is me and this is awful that this happened to us,” Pinkel said. “We don’t do that around here. We don’t have any excuses for nothing.”

The opening week of fall practice has already seen backup linebacker Donovan Bonner lost for the season because of a torn ACL in a knee; leading returning receiver Jerrell Jackson out perhaps until “sometime in the middle of September,” and backup safety Jarrell Harrison set for meniscus surgery Friday with a hopeful prognosis that he might be back for the season opener against Illinois.

Pinkel said Smith, Missouri’s star defensive end, could miss a couple of days because of a hip pointer. Kenji Jackson went down with a shoulder stinger after a hard tackle and collision with tight end Michael Egnew that tailback Derrick Washington said “bent” Egnew’s helmet.

Gachkar, after picking off a Blaine Gabbert pass over the middle, came up with a limp that lasted the rest of the practice at Memorial Stadium.

Reserve receiver Brandon Gerau needed attention when he came off the field favoring his left shoulder. Reserve offensive guard Jayson Palmgren spent most of the day on an exercise cycle with an undisclosed problem, and reserve receiver L’Damian Washington, Pinkel said, had a thigh bruise that put him in a protective red jersey.

Reserve tailback De’Vion Moore was back after recovering from a mild concussion, but reserve linebacker Will Ebner was on the sidelines again because of a strained hamstring.

Missouri returns to the practice field at 3 p.m. Thursday, although the second workout has been shortened to only one hour.

Read more: http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/node/1033#ixzz0wYMQ9N5e

Written by Mike DeArmond, a Mizzou hack writer, if I remember right? Anyway, yeah sure, the injuries they have are not severe, but 10 guys banged up at once is quite a bit. I know we have our share of injuries, and it they may reach 10+ sometimes, but I still thought this was worth posting. Just some more fluff before the season begins... The comments on this article are funny. One guy cites the article as positive, that the injuries likely resulted from tough practices, and that the program is readying itself to make a statement this year. HA... This is the year Mizzou pulls it all together.

The one thing I pulled from this article is that Pinkel is not only a bad coach, but a dick as well.

Please don't kill me FroDaddy!

These sound (for the most part) like bumps and bruises. They lost a guy just like we did, and while the rest are concerns, most of those guys will be back for the season - so it's not a huge deal to worry about if you are a Mizzou fan, IMO.

*I mean not literally bumps and bruises, but a limp, a thigh bruise, and favoring a shoulder shouldn't raise any alarm bells. I'd be surprised if they weren't at every training camp.

(edit) I just saw you said pretty much the same thing.

As stated, this just sounds like bumps and bruises.

Two things I would think if I were a Missouri fan, though. First, does this mean the practices are a little too physical and guys are getting a little too worked up? Maybe the coaches need to keep these players more grounded during practice. Second, guys getting injured now (even if they are minor injuries) can lead to prolonged injuries or to a team that isn't healthy when the season opener starts. Illinois isn't going to be a world beater this year, but that is still an important game that they need to show up for.

Pinkel and Bo have different philosophies about injuries, obviously. Bo doesn't want the information out there, theres several guys who are already dinged up or struggling early in practice physically. We had 9 guys locked in for significant time on the OL just 7 days ago, and all of a sudden, 1 is out for the year, 1 has missed valuable time after heat troubles, and another has missed time for a "pulled muscle", but is probably hurting worse than mentioned.

Last year guys were playing through things that would amaze people, but that's just the way Bo is. I know he REALLY doesn't like it when a reporter talks about injuries before the kids family even gets a chance to hear from them about it.

As stated, this just sounds like bumps and bruises.

Two things I would think if I were a Missouri fan, though. First, does this mean the practices are a little too physical and guys are getting a little too worked up? Maybe the coaches need to keep these players more grounded during practice. Second, guys getting injured now (even if they are minor injuries) can lead to prolonged injuries or to a team that isn't healthy when the season opener starts. Illinois isn't going to be a world beater this year, but that is still an important game that they need to show up for.

I agree to this. Missouri should spend the rest of fall camp playing pat-a-cake and ring-a-round-the-rosie. Or consult Clownahan on how to conduct practice.

Anyway, yeah sure, the injuries they have are not severe, but 10 guys banged up at once is quite a bit. I know we have our share of injuries, and it they may reach 10+ sometimes, but I still thought this was worth posting. Just some more fluff before the season begins... The comments on this article are funny. One guy cites the article as positive, that the injuries likely resulted from tough practices, and that the program is readying itself to make a statement this year. HA... This is the year Mizzou pulls it all together.

The one thing I pulled from this article is that Pinkel is not only a bad coach, but a dick as well.

no worries man. its your opinion. MU holds guys out or puts red jerseys (non contact) on guys who get banged up. As Pinkel was quoted as saying, if there was a game they could play. Its more for their protection that they are not injured worse than just some bumps and bruises. As far as him being a "d", well personally i like his stance on injuries. It doesnt matter. Everyone has guys go down. He has never whined or cryied about a guy being down "ohh poor us, we lost (insert name)". I believe it sets the right tone for the team. Be ready & prepared. And also that there are no excuses not to do your job, injury or not. I think that given the 100's of statements and quotes over the years about the family at MU, especially those from players who transfered from other schools says more about the type of person GP is.

Anyway, yeah sure, the injuries they have are not severe, but 10 guys banged up at once is quite a bit. I know we have our share of injuries, and it they may reach 10+ sometimes, but I still thought this was worth posting. Just some more fluff before the season begins... The comments on this article are funny. One guy cites the article as positive, that the injuries likely resulted from tough practices, and that the program is readying itself to make a statement this year. HA... This is the year Mizzou pulls it all together.

no worries man. its your opinion. MU holds guys out or puts red jerseys (non contact) on guys who get banged up. As Pinkel was quoted as saying, if there was a game they could play. Its more for their protection that they are not injured worse than just some bumps and bruises. As far as him being a "d", well personally i like his stance on injuries. It doesnt matter. Everyone has guys go down. He has never whined or cryied about a guy being down "ohh poor us, we lost (insert name)". I believe it sets the right tone for the team. Be ready & prepared. And also that there are no excuses not to do your job, injury or not. I think that given the 100's of statements and quotes over the years about the family at MU, especially those from players who transfered from other schools says more about the type of person GP is.

Well, your guys definitely love Mizzou football, that's for sure. Never heard a former MU player badmouth the team or the way they do things, so that's definitely good. And you're right, Pinkel's attitude on injuries is a good one... don't let them be an excuse or stop the team from reaching its goals. Just, to me, it almost seems like he took it overboard, almost seeming like he didn't care about guys if they didn't get hurt. Surely that's not the case. I'm probably just predisposed to read negatively into anything Pinkel says, as he is the head coach at Mizzou.