New York Pizza vs. Chicago Pizza

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Do you guys in Nebraska prefer chain pizza places or are your local pizza spots better?

Local is the way to go. Although I am a fan of Sam and Louie's. There's a couple of Don Carmelo's shops in Omaha that have what I think is the best pizza in town, aside from La Casa.

And I STILL need to go to Yia Yia's damnit!!!

Do you guys in Nebraska prefer chain pizza places or are your local pizza spots better?

I'm not in Nebraska, but you ALWAYS go with the mom-n-pop pizzeria over the corporate chains.

Absolutely. When I'm not making my own at home I get Piezano's, as home-grown in Lincoln as you can get. Technically both DaVinci's and Valentino's are home-grown, but both have gone corporate. Godfather's is also a Nebraska-native company (founded in Omaha by Willy Theisen), but it has also gone corporate and lost their soul.

Lincoln doesn't have many local-grown pizzerias, unfortunately. Our restaurant "scene" is mostly national chains, with a few local gems like Misty's, Lazlo's, Vincenzo's and the like thrown in.

I'm not in Nebraska, but you ALWAYS go with the mom-n-pop pizzeria over the corporate chains.

Absolutely. When I'm not making my own at home I get Piezano's, as home-grown in Lincoln as you can get. Technically both DaVinci's and Valentino's are home-grown, but both have gone corporate. Godfather's is also a Nebraska-native company (founded in Omaha by Willy Theisen), but it has also gone corporate and lost their soul.

Lincoln doesn't have many local-grown pizzerias, unfortunately. Our restaurant "scene" is mostly national chains, with a few local gems like Misty's, Lazlo's, Vincenzo's and the like thrown in.

And Vincenzo's was started in Omaha by Louie Finocchiaro and a partner. It's good food but it's not Lo Sole Mio. It's been a while since we went Vincenzo's. I think I used to get a dish called The Hill.

I love all pizza and as my friends will tell ya am a thin crust guy. But my first Chicago style deep dish pizza was at Gino's East down town in the Windy City. If any of you guys have ever seen the Man VS Food episode in Chicago it is the pizza joint he visits. And let me tell ya it was the greatest pizza I have ever had. Loaded with toppings and tons of melted cheese with every bite. It made me boycott pizza back home in Lincoln for like a month knowing that nothing could compare.

Now as far as pizza in Lincoln give me the Isles or Piezano's. VALS SUCKS

The thing I will give to Chicago is that they know how to make an attraction out of their best pizza places. In New York, someone may go to 99 cent pizza and not think that much of New York Pizza, because the best places aren't well advertised (Lombardi's, Grimaldi's, Ray's Pizza (the original), Ray's Original Pizza [not the original], Famous Ray's, de Fara's, etc). That being said, the 99 cent pizza chain (local to Manhattan) is an amazing value for good pizza. It is standing room only, no toppings, no drinks or anything, you just pay 99 cents and you get a slice of cheese pizza that is very satisfactory. It has a cult following among NYU students.