BSU as a Model

robsker

Well that's the thing, how many big games does Boise State have to win to prove they're in the mix?

It goes both ways: a tough schedule can wear you down, but a weak schedule can leave you unprepared to face a high-caliber team. Every time Boise State is asked to play with the big boys, they look comfortable in the role. Strength of schedule already plays into the BCS rankings, so I don't think Boise State is being coddled.

But the rub on the new powerhouse Big 10 is going to be a team that emerges from their conference championship at 11 - 2 and already out of the BCS NC game.

Well that's the thing, how many big games does Boise State have to win to prove they're in the mix?

It goes both ways: a tough schedule can wear you down, but a weak schedule can leave you unprepared to face a high-caliber team. Every time Boise State is asked to play with the big boys, they look comfortable in the role. Strength of schedule already plays into the BCS rankings, so I don't think Boise State is being coddled.

But the rub on the new powerhouse Big 10 is going to be a team that emerges from their conference championship at 11 - 2 and already out of the BCS NC game.

but they have the whole off season to prepare for va. tech, and then three weeks to prepare for their bowl, while all along fine tuning in the whack wac. meanwhile, teams in the big 10, big 12, sec, pac 10 are struggling just to win and only focusing on getting through the game. anyone can beat anyone on any given day, no doubt, and bsu is a quality team, just not a deserving one.

Also remember that VA Tech was not playing with their 2009 defense. They lost seven starters from the defense we played last year, while Boise St. returned nearly everyone on offense. It's a huge advantage to play a team in rebuilding mode when you return the opposing unit nearly intact.

Also remember that they wouldn't be playing NU's 2009 offense. HUGE difference.

In anything past game two of the season, NU would be too much for them to handle. In a neutral field, NU by 17 easy.

Also remember that VA Tech was not playing with their 2009 defense. They lost seven starters from the defense we played last year, while Boise St. returned nearly everyone on offense. It's a huge advantage to play a team in rebuilding mode when you return the opposing unit nearly intact.

In anything past game two of the season, NU would be too much for them to handle. In a neutral field, NU by 17 easy.

That's presuming the 2010 NU offense is an improvement over the 2009 offense. I can't help but think it will be, but that's not a guarantee.

Nebraska did exactly what Boise State has done. We always were playing a bit over our heads against the Florida schools back in the 80s and 90s. They had all those super fast athletes. We got some very talented athletes in recruiting with Os, don't get me wrong, but they always had more. We found our niche, we out worked people, and we ground out our titles. With Bo, we are getting back to this model. If T-Mart works out like we all hope, we'll have a dangerous offense keyed by a fantastic athlete and an awesome defense orchestrated by the brothers Pelini. But we will still have times where we will need to grind it out against teams that simply fill up recruiting boards year in and year out with 12-13-14 four-star kids and two or three five-star guys.

Good post!

A Tmart led offense with our Bo/Carl defense would overwhelm them. Yeah, I'm a homer..... :koolaid2:

I give Boise St some credit for winning the games that they have this past decade. They have without a doubt been a good team. My problem with them is that for the majority of the big games against AQ schools, they play in the first few weeks of the season which is no fault of their own because of the conference schedules afterwards, but what I am trying to say is that they are playing these teams before the teams have a chance to adjust to play a big game like that. Also if Boise St. wants to be considered among the best in college football, they should start acting like it. They continue to play the small school against the nation card. They are the #3 team in the country, they should win every game. The game against Va Tech they were supposed to win based on rankings. The media does not do them any favors by playing the cinderella card but act like you belong and maybe you will get some respect.

One could argue that for several years now Nebraska has started the season with three "gimmee" games before going into a weak Big 12 North in which teams often lost to opponents from these minor conferences. And then when facing the two or three conference heavyweights, Nebraska lost.

We were 10 - 4 last year, folks. And our quality wins were against teams that did not finish in the Top 20. And I'm not even mentioning Iowa State. Ooops. Guess I just did.

Let's beat some ranked teams before we start questioning the legitimacy of Boise State.

Wow. What you are smokin' can't be legal. I am sure the fans of the 4 top ten teams they recently beat said the same thing. NU by 17 over any top 10 team is ludicrous. When was the last time NU beat a Top 10 team at all --- I can't remember, but its over a decade now, right? I love NU but... man ... we have not proven anything yet. Until we beat someone we have no right to make outlandish claims of victory over those who have already proven something.

And, by the way, NU would be underdogs in that game, were they to play.

Not only did they play Virginia Tech the first game of the season, they BEAT Virginia Tech the first game of the season. Where are the other Top 23 teams SPINES? They have won absolutely every game I have counted them out in, excluding TCU- and even then, they were in it to the end.

I wouldn't mind watching them in the National title over 2 loss BCS champions.

One could argue that for several years now Nebraska has started the season with three "gimmee" games before going into a weak Big 12 North in which teams often lost to opponents from these minor conferences. And then when facing the two or three conference heavyweights, Nebraska lost.

We were 10 - 4 last year, folks. And our quality wins were against teams that did not finish in the Top 20. And I'm not even mentioning Iowa State. Ooops. Guess I just did.

Let's beat some ranked teams before we start questioning the legitimacy of Boise State.

The logic of "because Nebraska is bad we cannot discuss the legitimacy of Boise State" makes no sense. Nebraska's record has nothing to do with whether BSU is a good or bad team.

Imagine if Ohio State played against VaTech last night and then played an entire WAC schedule. How pissed would everybody be when Ohio State would (inevitably) be undefeated every year? That's the exact same scenario people are defending Boise for.

GREAT point! But no one ever looks at it that way.

Also, how would everybody feel if Nebraska had one loss this year (let's say to Texas A&M) but won the Big 12 title. Would people be O.K. with an undefeated Boise State jumping us to play in the MNC game?

For all the people defending Boise State....I'd like you all to look at the bold statement above and then answer.

Try this scenerio. How about Ohio State is undefeated and Alabama loses one game in the regular season but wins the SEC Championship against a Florida team thats ranked in the top 10 but Boise State is undefeated.

Who should play Ohio State in the MNC game?

Depends which game Alabama lost to.

And if NU lost one game and BSU wins out, then Id say give it to BSU.

Everybody can sit and whine/moan about how BSU does not play a hard schedule except almost everytime they have come out and played a top 10 team, they win. Can we say that? Not unless we go about 10-15 years back. Can you say 100% BSU would lose 2+ games a year if they played in the big 12 or any other big conference? Nope, you can't. It's amazing the kind of complaining that goes on about BSU when they have actually stepped up and beat the teams that we need to but can't.

Give me a break people.

Wow. What you are smokin' can't be legal. I am sure the fans of the 4 top ten teams they recently beat said the same thing. NU by 17 over any top 10 team is ludicrous. When was the last time NU beat a Top 10 team at all --- I can't remember, but its over a decade now, right? I love NU but... man ... we have not proven anything yet. Until we beat someone we have no right to make outlandish claims of victory over those who have already proven something.

Well, we came within one second of beating #2 Texas last year despite having "zero" offense. The offense is going to be greatly improved this year to say the very least (barring a Tmart injury).

We'll beat Texas this year and who knows? Maybe we'll play them.....and crush them like any empty beer can.

Now hand me that bong.... :koolaid2:

Well, we came within one second of beating #2 Texas last year despite having "zero" offense. The offense is going to be greatly improved this year to say the very least (barring a Tmart injury).

We'll beat Texas this year and who knows? Maybe we'll play them.....and crush them like any empty beer can.

Now hand me that bong.... :koolaid2:

Bshirt:

I love your attitude! It'd be fun to watch the 'skers at your house --- so long as the place doesn't get raided!

Bo Big Red --- hope we hand Texas their #%$#'s this year.

Then next year the same for Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa and Penn State too.

We all need your enthusiasm and positive outlook --- thanks for the reminder.

Kudos to Boise State for developing themselves into a big fish in a little pond. Chris Petersen is a heck of a coach and I've long stated Colorado should have gone after him instead of Hawkins.

I guess we know who was the true catalyst of Boise's success when Hawkins was there, eh. Buffs were had...and I'm fine with that :bluffs