Breakfast With Wats

knapplc

Husker offensive coordinator Shawn Watson was the guest speaker this morning at the Big Red Breakfast in Omaha.

Watson, who was quite impressive at the podium during Tuesday's press conference, had some interesting things to say about how difficult it was last year to rein in the offense while fielding what was sometimes intense criticism.

"You got a lot of pride in your work," Watson said. "It cuts you. It does. You don't go stupid overnight. And when you do stuff like that, the most important thing in my job, is to find wins. We had to die to ourselves in that staff room. We did. Because of what we were dealing with. So when we did that, we did it for the good of the team so we could win. That's what was most important. Because to call those kind of games, that was hard because I like throwing it out there and going for it."

More on that a little later.

Some other notes from Watson's talk:

Watson said there's been some added offensive focus given to Taylor Martinez running a two-minute offense this week.

"We did not do a good job of that. That was the one time we kind of stalled out," Watson said in reference to a couple no-huddle drives late in the first half that failed. "So we've worked hard this week at getting those things fixed."

While at Colorado, Watson instructed Idaho quarterback and North Platte native Nate Enderle in one of his quarterback camps. "We were close to offering him," Watson said. "He's a really talented kid and he's putting that on film now. He's one of the better senior quarterbacks in the country."

Good story by McKeever today about Yoshi Hardrick and his road to Nebraska. Watson spoke about the big potential of the big offensive tackle.

Hardrick, by Watson's account, had a really solid debut as a Husker on Saturday. Now the offensive coordinator wants to see Hardrick show that every day on the practice field.

"I told him on Sunday when I saw him, 'Bro, you play better in games than you do in practice.' He needs to become a better practice player because he played really well in that game. Really well. To get on the field more and become a starter, which is obviously what he wants to do, I was challenging him, 'Hey, you have to put it on film every day.'"

About the quarterback position, Watson said: "To be honest with you, I was really upset with the way our position played last year. ... And I take that real personal. That's my pride, that's my coaching, that's me. I took it very, very personal. A year ago, we had two freshmen in backup roles and then we had Zac. And Zac never had a competition really because the two freshmen weren't able to give him competition. They didn't know the system well enough. Anyone who thinks you just put a helmet on and go out there, college is way different than high school. How many two-minute drills do you have in high school? Maybe one. Probably none. And then managing the red zone, managing pressure throw situations, they had none of that training. So we're starting from scratch with them."

But Watson said after winter evaluations it was clear to coaches they needed to open up the QB competition. He said Bo Pelini told him to put the competition together and figure out what he wanted to do.

"So I put together a plan that would put them in pressure situations that they're going to be facing every game," Watson said. "And those pressure situations were anywhere between three to five pressure situations that we would design during practice. And we gave them equal reps in those drills to see who would surface. And out of that competition .. they became better players."

When he was at Colorado, Watson said he remembers Buffs' defensive coaches talking often about all the various elements Nebraska has in its run game.

So during the winter, Watson met with Tom Osborne and former Husker offensive line coach Milt Tenopir to learn how they taught their linemen.

Though the offense has evolved, Watson said "we've implemented the same method of teaching."

What's the latest on Kody Spano? "We didn't bring him into the 105 (fall camp roster) because I could see this right at the beginning of spring, he was not back," Watson said. "He's had two major injuries. Anytime you get an ACL, it's a bad deal in this sport. When he got the second one, double bad deal. Kody is just not there physically yet. We gave him the summer to see where he would be. Didn't quite get there yet. So we didn't bring him to camp and we challenged him. And he was hurt by it, and I understood the hurt. But I said, 'Look, here's what you need to do. You need to go to work and fix what's wrong.' Because he just needs to get back physically, he needs to get his strength back because he's not even where he was at before he was hurt in terms of the numbers that he was lifting and putting up."

Watson is starting to see signs of progress from Spano. "This week, I see the old Kody Spano back out there throwing. He has pop on his ball and he's able to move around like he hasn't moved around since the first injury. So he's on the mend and he's on the comeback."

Brian Christopherson - LITR Blog

I don't like the term "put it on film" I don't know why, I just do...I mean, I played football my whole life and watched countless hours of film and remember sayings like:

the eye in the sky don't lie

lets check the tape

use the film room to get better

and if we messed up and our coaches were yelling at us, we would say, "let's wait til films"

but for some reason, I have been reading more and more times this summer and fall about "going out there and putting it on film"...like that's more important than ANYTHING...whatever, it just bugs me. that is all.

"So I put together a plan that would put them in pressure situations that they're going to be facing every game," Watson said. "And those pressure situations were anywhere between three to five pressure situations that we would design during practice. And we gave them equal reps in those drills to see who would surface. And out of that competition .. they became better players."

So with Lee having gone under the knife to have his torn up elbow repaired, he got equal reps as well? It's clear now. I knew I saw Watson throw Lee under the bus Bo was driving.

He didn't get dumb over night yet he expects us to believe all QB's got an equal shot? Brilliant!

So with Lee having gone under the knife to have his torn up elbow repaired, he got equal reps as well? It's clear now. I knew I saw Watson throw Lee under the bus Bo was driving.

He didn't get dumb over night yet he expects us to believe all QB's got an equal shot? Brilliant!

I don't see how Lee is getting thrown under the bus. He looked like the third best QB to me.

How did Lee not get an equal shot?

• Fire 1

Here is my deal with Wats.... He just does several things that annoy me and always will.

Sometimes he is guilty of talking in circles and using jargon instead of just saying what is going on.

He's just as guilty as Callahan was of talking system, system, system. Players don't matter. When the offense fails, it's all about how the players didn't execute the system.

Which, by the way, what the HELL is our system?

It's run, no wait, it's short pass, no wait, it's back to the run again. PLEASE

Lastly, player development drives me nuts. When Zac Lee took the job and struggled, we heard all about, well, he's inexperienced and you have to wait and he has to develop.

Just what the heck was Lee doing for his first two years here.

And, remember, he was one of the guys who thought Ganz losing to Keller was the right outcome. When Ganz got his chance, we find out otherwise. I know that was a lot of Callahan. And, that is the problem. Sometimes, as hard as I try, I can not separate Wats and Gilmore from Callahan.

End of Rant. :boxosoap

Here is my deal with Wats.... He just does several things that annoy me and always will.

Sometimes he is guilty of talking in circles and using jargon instead of just saying what is going on.

He's just as guilty as Callahan was of talking system, system, system. Players don't matter. When the offense fails, it's all about how the players didn't execute the system.

Lastly, player development drives me nuts. When Zac Lee took the job and struggled, we heard all about, well, he's inexperienced and you have to wait and he has to develop.

And, remember, he was one of the guys who thought Ganz losing to Keller was the right outcome. When Ganz got his chance, we find out otherwise. I know that was a lot of Callahan. And, that is the problem. Sometimes, as hard as I try, I can not separate Wats and Gilmore from Callahan.

End of Rant. :boxosoap

Try harder...dunno.gif

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: x1000

Football offenses have been known, on occasion, to both pass and run the ball in the same game. :ahhhhhhhh I know, it's shocking...

And what do you suppose we do on defense? Hint: we run something; it begins with 's' and ends in 'ystem.' When the defense 'fails', it's all about how the players didn't communicate...there's a reason why a bunch of guys can't just go out there and play football, and need a coaching staff of masterminds to install schemes that are growing ever complex.

Actually, Zac WAS inexperienced and it is the same excuse you heard last year with Green and are going to hear this year with Taylor when he makes mistakes, or Sam Bradford in the NFL, for that matter. Young players make young player type of mistakes. On the other hand, one thing we consistently heard was that Zac was consistently making all the right reads. We know that from about two games on in the season, though, he was very limited in the kind of throws we could have in the arsenal by the injury team staff told him he didn't require surgery on.

He was injured his first year and sat out. Then he was pushing Ganz or Witt, although of course Ganz had +1 on him easily in experience and feel for the offense. Back in those days, we were saying, "We are moving to a faster style of QB, so Witt doesn't fit anymore and that's why he transferred." Now we are saying "We are moving to a faster style of QB, so Lee doesn't fit and that's why he is third string." When will it ever stop? It is really like we don't want a quarterback that beats defenses with his head and his arm. But hey...it would be exciting to get another Crouch type player in here, I don't disagree with that.

FWIW, Keller flat out beat Ganz for the job, and did not put up terrible statistics. 63% passing while giving us a deep passing threat. Ganz did put up comical stats in the end (while going 1-2), and Keller had other issues apparently. Of course, coaches seemed to have wised up in this regard and the QB that by accounts is head and shoulders above others may not necessarily win out due to evaluation of intangibles. I guess we just gotta trust the coaches on that one.

When the system is....we're just multiple. Ummmmm, that's not a system. West Coast, don't see it. Spread, not really. Here is our system, we ran it and we scored, we are a running team now. We passed it and we scored, we are a passing team now. It's wishy-washy non sense. Ask yourself this, did you ever have to wonder what Tom Osborne's plan was? Did a lot of people spend time wondering what Bill Walsh and the 49ers were aiming for offensively? No. You establish a style and develop a culture around that style. Callahan's style, like it or not (AND I HATED IT), was to put the ball in the air, a lot, then mix in a draw now and then.

When it was third and short at home and we needed a first down to close out against Texas, what did we do, pass, to T. Nunn. It wasn't a surprise that we didn't go with a flipping run play there. Heck, look back at that long run by B-Jax in that game. That thing is a delayed shovel pass.

So, I ask you then....what is Wats system?

Oh, and Keller won because Bill brought him from Arizona State to win the job, period.

When the system is....we're just multiple. Ummmmm, that's not a system. West Coast, don't see it. Spread, not really. Here is our system, we ran it and we scored, we are a running team now. We passed it and we scored, we are a passing team now. It's wishy-washy non sense. Ask yourself this, did you ever have to wonder what Tom Osborne's plan was? Did a lot of people spend time wondering what Bill Walsh and the 49ers were aiming for offensively? No. You establish a style and develop a culture around that style. Callahan's style, like it or not (AND I HATED IT), was to put the ball in the air, a lot, then mix in a draw now and then.

You and I may not know what kind of system "multiple" is, but I can just about guarantee that Bo isn't sticking his head in Watson's door, asking what kind of offense we're running, and being satisfied with an answer of "Multiple, Bo!" It's a real offense with real potential, and I'm sure the players and coaches know far more what it is, but they're not telling. Why... I have no idea.

Oh, and Keller won because Bill brought him from Arizona State to win the job, period.

This horse is so dead it's mummified by now, but to reiterate from past conversations, yes - Keller came in to start. But he did that because Ganz wasn't ready. Keller was better suited to the offense Callahan wanted to run. When Keller went down they simplified it a little for Ganzy, and he had a heck of a run. But that doesn't mean Keller was worse than Ganz - they had different skills, that's all.