9/11 Stars and Stripes Collection

You're missing the point. No, they don't have to donate anything. They also don't have to market their hats as a means of donating to the troops. If they really wanted to be generous they could just sell the hats and not tell anyone they're making a donation at all.

Would you not then assume that they were keeping it all for themselves and rip them for that?

Think about what you're asking there. Why would anyone rip them for that? That's the point of capitalism.

They changed the equation when they tried to boost sales by stating that proceeds would go to the troops, which is the only reason we're talking about this.

Meh. All proceeds get donated all the time. What really irks me is when the vast majority of the money made from these things goes to the company and a pittance goes to those actually in need. To me that's exploitative, and I have great disdain for those companies.

Yeah those corporations get all corporationey!

Captialism's a bitch ain't it comrade?

Meh. All proceeds get donated all the time. What really irks me is when the vast majority of the money made from these things goes to the company and a pittance goes to those actually in need. To me that's exploitative, and I have great disdain for those companies.

Yeah those corporations get all corporationey!

Captialism's a bitch ain't it comrade?

:facepalm:

What's so hard about this? Is it really that confusing?

Wow. No, it's not that confusing, and my first thought was along similar lines.

Can you folks understand that, given the way they're marketing these special collectors' hats, if they're keeping a large majority of the proceeds for themselves, that they are turning a profit by exploiting a national tragedy and the sacrifices of our soldiers? If they're giving a nice fat chunk to charity on the other hand, then that's great.

Vince didn't create the proceeds idea. I've seen that in several places, including a blurb that Michigan coaches will be wearing these hats, too. All Adidas schools will be wearing these hats on the sidelines tomorrow. The only thing that I'm curious about was how much of the proceeds were going to the troops. That's all. Vince was just the messenger. Don't shoot the messenger.

Here's one spot: http://twitter.com/huskers

You'll have to hit the "more" button on the bottom. Search for "proceeds."

Well, if it's on twitter, it must be true!

I don't see anything like that on the actual merchandise pages, or on adidas' web site. Without more info, I would assume that no proceeds are being donated, and that Adidas has not made any such claim, if that's a factor in your buy decision. Maybe they are donating something and just aren't being very clear about it, but most companies aren't quiet about such things.

Think about what you're asking there. Why would anyone rip them for that? That's the point of capitalism.

They changed the equation when they tried to boost sales by stating that proceeds would go to the troops, which is the only reason we're talking about this.

So if they sell patriotic themed stuff right around 9/11, obviously to boost sales due to the anniversary of 9/11, but don't state that as the reason and don't say they're going to donate to charity you don't have a problem with it?

So if they sell patriotic themed stuff right around 9/11, obviously to boost sales due to the anniversary of 9/11, but don't state that as the reason and don't say they're going to donate to charity you don't have a problem with it?

Are you saying you do? If so, why?

Holy hell people! Does everything anybody does have to be an argument? If you like the damn hat buy it! If you don't, well then move on.

Who gives a flying flip about how much they are giving. Christ, somebody does something nice to help us not forget what happened and we jump all over their ass because we don't know exactly how much they are putting in their pocket. I don't understand how some people can function being wound so tight. :ahhhhhhhh

Christ, somebody does something nice to help us not forget what happened and we jump all over their ass because we don't know exactly how much they are putting in their pocket.

:yeah

They came up with a great idea. They should make money off of it.

It's also quite possible that they don't know what they'll be able to donate until after they see their sales numbers. Most businesses would like to cover their investment/expenses before committing to give away money. People are generally very ignorant as to how business runs so giving away too many details will only serve as a negative. For instance, lets say the hats cost $3 to make and they sell them for $20. Many uninformed people will assume the profit is $17... There are a lot of ways for this to backfire on Adidas and the more numbers they commit themselves to, the higher the odds that it will either create a negative image, or cost them significant $ out of their pocket.

Either way, I think it's a great idea and I'll be that the American shoe giant is pissed that they didn't come up with this first.