The Death Penalty

A girl in my school, years ago, was dragged out to a corn field in southern Illinois, she was wrapped and butchered, stabbed something like 30 times. The guys that did it got her by dressing like cops and pulled her over, it's how they got her in the car.

They were caught and one admitted to it...which helped the law catch the other guy too, who then admitted to it.

Those guys deserve to die.

A girl in my school, years ago, was dragged out to a corn field in southern Illinois, she was wrapped and butchered, stabbed something like 30 times. The guys that did it got her by dressing like cops and pulled her over, it's how they got her in the car.

They were caught and one admitted to it...which helped the law catch the other guy too, who then admitted to it.

What is the purpose of killing them? And, please don't take this question disrespectful. That is a horrible thing to happen to someone you know.

But, what is the purpose?

Seeing a trial end yesterday about two men who first attempted to rob a family, then ended up raping the wife, and young (11 I think) daughter, finished them off by pouring gas on them lighting them on fire while tied to their beds. They found the 11 y/o away from her bed. I guess the ropes had burnt off before she died, and tried to escape.

Today I read about the Elizabeth Smart trial. Nine months in servitude being raped by a man who told her if she spoke out he would kill her and her family. S spent weeks chains to trees being raped daily, with only a pale for relief, and the only place to sleep was in a tent next to her abductor.

In my opinion all three of these men (and possibly the complacent wife w/the Smart case) should be put to death. It is about justice, not deterrence. I dont care how much it costs to bring about justice, I want to make damn sure they are guilty (in the these examples there is NO doubt), and when that is proven they will die. Prison is not punishment enough for them, they are granted there rights, even though they have taken the ultimate right of another to live (or in the case of Smart, her childhood, and more than likely, any chance at a normal life).

Anyone that is still against when they hear about this is fooling themselves. If this, any of it, happened to someone you loved you would want them dead.

If someone hurt/killed someone I loves I might kill them in a fit of rage. I also might regret it soon after.

Also, seeing as I'm Christian I believe in Hell and nothing I could do would he as bad as that. It's up to God to judge people. I'm fine with locking them up so they can't hurt anyone else.

What is the purpose of killing them?

So that they never hurt anyone again.

It is 100% effective. They admitted to being killers...if they were put to death they would never hurt anyone again. If I was a member of that family I would be in constant fear that they would hurt me or my family again.

Seeing a trial end yesterday about two men who first attempted to rob a family, then ended up raping the wife, and young (11 I think) daughter, finished them off by pouring gas on them lighting them on fire while tied to their beds. They found the 11 y/o away from her bed. I guess the ropes had burnt off before she died, and tried to escape.

Today I read about the Elizabeth Smart trial. Nine months in servitude being raped by a man who told her if she spoke out he would kill her and her family. S spent weeks chains to trees being raped daily, with only a pale for relief, and the only place to sleep was in a tent next to her abductor.

In my opinion all three of these men (and possibly the complacent wife w/the Smart case) should be put to death. It is about justice, not deterrence. I dont care how much it costs to bring about justice, I want to make damn sure they are guilty (in the these examples there is NO doubt), and when that is proven they will die. Prison is not punishment enough for them, they are granted there rights, even though they have taken the ultimate right of another to live (or in the case of Smart, her childhood, and more than likely, any chance at a normal life).

Anyone that is still against when they hear about this is fooling themselves. If this, any of it, happened to someone you loved you would want them dead.

If someone hurt/killed someone I loves I might kill them in a fit of rage. I also might regret it soon after.

Also, seeing as I'm Christian I believe in Hell and nothing I could do would he as bad as that. It's up to God to judge people. I'm fine with locking them up so they can't hurt anyone else.

True...Thank God for confession

It is 100% effective. They admitted to being killers...if they were put to death they would never hurt anyone again. If I was a member of that family I would be in constant fear that they would hurt me or my family again.

Life without parole would do the same thing.

What if they kill a guard?

As someone who has a family member who is a prison guard, that is an extremely valid question.

A quick google search shows that the average time someone is on death row is 15 years. There are over 3,000 people on death row right now.

I tried googling it but can't find anything. Can you tell me the last time someone on death row killed anyone else?

As someone who has a family member who is a prison guard, that is an extremely valid question.

A quick google search shows that the average time someone is on death row is 15 years. There are over 3,000 people on death row right now.

I tried googling it but can't find anything. Can you tell me the last time someone on death row killed anyone else?

Nope, I can't. I also can't tell you how many death row inmates have ever hurt a guard or anyone else.

I also can't solve most chemical engineering equations

War is an interesting one. I'm not a fan of war, either. It is also murder. That said, nor am I a committed pacifist.

I have never heard a single argument against self-defense.

The death penalty is a question outside of both those domains. The only reason we have it is because we want to see those people -- already incarcerated -- die.

War is an interesting one. I'm not a fan of war, either. It is also murder. That said, nor am I a committed pacifist.I have never heard a single argument against self-defense.The death penalty is a question outside of both those domains. The only reason we have it is because we want to see those people -- already incarcerated -- die.

I don't want to see it. It would be gross!

I guess I don't look at our Vets as murderers but I can see where some would.

Nope, I can't. I also can't tell you how many death row inmates have ever hurt a guard or anyone else.

I also can't solve most chemical engineering equations

My point is basically what almost all scientific studies of the affects of the death penalty show.

Other than seeking vengeance against someone who committed a heinous crime, the death penalty doesn't keep the public any safer than life without parole.

When I read stories like you wrote, I get sick to my stomach and extremely angry at the people who are so sick that they would do something like that.

But, killing them doesn't solve the problem.

Then....when you look at the study that was posted (I think from zoogs) about the affects sentencing someone to death has on jurors...etc.

It's not worth it.

Of course we would feel that way. Who wouldn't?

However, the point I was making has to do with the article I provided. It showed that two men were framed and convicted wrongfully. What if they were put to death and they were someone you loved? What then in that case?

It would suck.

What if they filmed themselves slicing your mom up...so you could see for sure it was them...

*sigh* Mmmk. So much for trying to ignite constructive discourse.

• Fire 2