Two QB's In Seattle?

Two QBs in Seattle?

Posted by: Brian Christopherson on September 14, 2010 at 10:23PM CST

Bo Pelini's comments on Tuesday lead you to believe both Taylor Martinez and Cody Green will continue to see first-half action as we go forward.

While Martinez has started the first two games at quarterback, Green has come in for one second-quarter series in each contest.

With the eighth-ranked Huskers set to play at Washington on Saturday, Pelini was asked if he plans to keep with such a routine.

“It’s kind of our plan going in,” Pelini said. “We like to always do that, regardless of the quarterback situation. Obviously, sometimes a situation in a game might not dictate that, but in this day and age, you always have to have your backup ready to play, especially if we're using a quarterback in the run game a little more.

"You have to give him some time to make sure that if he has to go in there that he has had game experience and the players are used to him. It’s just a philosophy we have and one that we are going to stick with.”

Link

not a huge fan of this, but at least if we do need to make a move we will have a guy that has seen the field some.

I believe this plan is to get reps to the no 2 guy in case in injury were to happen. When he mentions that our QB runs a lot, that means the chance of injury goes up. So this plan is actually a very good one, to make sure the no 2 is getting some snaps in each game.

not a huge fan of this, but at least if we do need to make a move we will have a guy that has seen the field some.

I believe this plan is to get reps to the no 2 guy in case in injury were to happen. When he mentions that our QB runs a lot, that means the chance of injury goes up. So this plan is actually a very good one, to make sure the no 2 is getting some snaps in each game.

I think Coach Sark is just paying respect to the Huskers. His team motto is "Expect To Win", and it's posted all over the place. I think he expects our dawgs to win, but at the same time he is going to pay the utmost respect to the opponent, especially one as storied as Nebraska.

You are likely correct that in our current offense TM is going to get hit a lot. Good defenses will try to rock his world on every play, just as Carl and Bo would do against a Tyrod or against Shoelace in Ann Arbor next year. When Tm carries the ball he'll get hit, when he hands off the ball and fakes he'll get hit like the ball carrier, and if it's even close, he'll get hit after a pass. He's a tough athlete but having a backup RTG is more important given the physical game TM leads.

And Bo and Wats likely are acutely aware of how last year's pre-season QB play (offense in general) translated once conference season began. If the option offense featuring T Mart rushing gets bogged down in Big 12 play and Cody is the better passer, they want him to have been in meaningful game situations if they have to go to him. I think we'll get a feel Saturday as to how the TM game will go against a mid to lower tier Big 12 defense at Wash. If their defense can shut the run game down and T Mart doesn't execute the passing game to make them pay, expect a switch to Cody and then more emphasis on Cody in our last OOC game.

Bo is not going to trust success against the cupcakes this season on offense translating to league play like with Lee last year. You can bet they will go into the conference with a Plan B this year at QB, in case of injury or ineffectiveness.

I think Coach Sark is just paying respect to the Huskers. His team motto is "Expect To Win", and it's posted all over the place. I think he expects our dawgs to win, but at the same time he is going to pay the utmost respect to the opponent, especially one as storied as Nebraska.

You are likely correct that in our current offense TM is going to get hit a lot. Good defenses will try to rock his world on every play, just as Carl and Bo would do against a Tyrod or against Shoelace in Ann Arbor next year. When Tm carries the ball he'll get hit, when he hands off the ball and fakes he'll get hit like the ball carrier, and if it's even close, he'll get hit after a pass. He's a tough athlete but having a backup RTG is more important given the physical game TM leads.

And Bo and Wats likely are acutely aware of how last year's pre-season QB play (offense in general) translated once conference season began. If the option offense featuring T Mart rushing gets bogged down in Big 12 play and Cody is the better passer, they want him to have been in meaningful game situations if they have to go to him. I think we'll get a feel Saturday as to how the TM game will go against a mid to lower tier Big 12 defense at Wash. If their defense can shut the run game down and T Mart doesn't execute the passing game to make them pay, expect a switch to Cody and then more emphasis on Cody in our last OOC game.

Bo is not going to trust success against the cupcakes this season on offense translating to league play like with Lee last year. You can bet they will go into the conference with a Plan B this year at QB, in case of injury or ineffectiveness.

Very, very good post billyball. I too think Bo has a plan B in the event of injury or Tmart melts down (I seriously doubt it, but possible).

I also very, very much doubt Washington will/can shut down Tmart/Roy/Rex whatsoever but it's great to have a plan B if they do. I have a boatload of respect for Green and it's nice to know he's ready, willing and able.

Have to keep #2 sharp and focused. Never know when he will be needed. Saw last year what happened when the back up was raw(i know he was a true frosh), this only helps us, but i am eager to see when the game is tight and the taylor has it rolling we let him have all the snaps or if he is struggling to let him play through those.

I hope Cody Green does get in for a couple of series. Even a couple of series per game will help to further his development. And he brings in a slightly different skill set than T-Mart.

that is the other good thing. he will confuse the defense, because we will still run it a lot, but they will have to be aware and account for the possibility of the pass, which they may be expecting. i mean, why else put green in other than to pass, and then it is the same zone read when they are playing the pass. i just do not think we lose too much putting green on the field, and he gains a lot of valuable experience.