No Suh, No Problem

knapplc

I wonder if this is one of the last times we'll see an article about the Suh-less Blackshirts?

No Suh, no problem — corners will carry these Huskers

Dave Curtis

SEATTLE — It turns out Nebraska’s defense deserves the raves and laurels sent its direction this preseason. Washington possesses the best set of skill players on the Cornhuskers’ schedule, and the Huskies completed four passes for 71 yards in No. 8 Nebraska’s 56-21 rout at Husky Stadium on Saturday.

Nobody’s moving the ball for four quarters against these Huskers.

But as coach Bo Pelini’s bunch starts to sneak into national title talk — also deserved — remember that this defense’s success comes from a new source. There’s no Ndamukong Suh around to save the day and steal the spotlight. Credit Nebraska’s cornerbacks with Saturday’s success — and bank on them leading this team to the Big 12 championship game.

Cornerbacks Prince Amukamara and Alfonzo Dennard, along with nickel back Eric Hagg, humbled preseason Heisman trophy favorite Jake Locker into his worst performance as a Husky. Every time Locker tried to throw, he saw strong, quick, long-armed Huskers playing me-and-my-shadow with his targets.

“They challenged the receivers,” Pelini said. “Our philosophy is to put bodies on receivers and make it hard for them.”

Sometimes, Locker would force a pass — two of those were intercepted. Sometimes, he’d wait and get swallowed by Nebraska’s four-man rush, leaving him to backpedal and lob a throw-away toward the running track between the sideline and the stands.

Afterward, he stood stumped before a pack of reporters and placed the Huskers as the top defense he’s seen in college. LSU last year, Fiesta Bowl-bound Oklahoma two years ago and the 2007 Ohio State team that played for the national title didn’t stack up. His coach, Steve Sarkisian, clarified further; Nebraska plays the pass better than any team in America.

“They made plays on the ball that I haven’t seen in a while,” Sarkisian said.

Those plays will create a lowlight reel that will bump Locker from the Heisman debate and could haunt him some with the NFL scouts. He underthrew his first pass of the afternoon into double coverage, and Hagg intercepted it. He didn’t anticipate Dennard sliding in front of Cody Bruns and returning an interception 31 yards for a score. He never dreamed of this stat line — 4-for-20, 71 yards, the two interceptions and one touchdown on a blown coverage in the third quarter.

But against these corners, in this scheme, more quarterbacks figure to endure a bad three hours.

Defensive coordinator Carl Pelini’s system exchanges a player near the line of scrimmage for another in the defensive backfield. That allows for more double coverages — and more chances for the corners to take chances and play tight to receivers.

The gamble, of course, is that the defensive linemen can handle the opponents’ running game. But even when Washington found a rhythm with the rush — especially on its 11-run, no-pass, 80-yard touchdown drive in the first quarter — Carl Pelini didn’t fret.

“You get a little bit soft in there sometimes,” he said. “But nobody’s been able to push it down on us.”

Daniel Thomas and Kansas State will test that notion a couple Thursday nights from now. Ditto for Oklahoma State’s Kendall Hunter later in October and Texas A&M in November. Then come the leaps — Oklahoma in December? Alabama or Ohio State in January?

After Saturday, Nebraska has reason to dream it. This defense does it differently than last year’s touted group. But the potential for dominance is just as strong thanks to a crew of corners who can shut down any passing game they will see.

What We Learned

Magic Martinez. The Taylor Martinez love-fest should continue after his 287-yard, four-touchdown performance here Saturday. But Nebraska needs to see better competition before the freshman QB gets anointed the next Eric Crouch. Other quarterbacks figure to enjoy great statistical days against Washington’s defense in Husky Stadium this year. T-Magic, as teammates call Martinez, did impress with a calm demeanor in his first road start. “I don’t know if you can ever rattle the guy,” Huskers coach Bo Pelini said. “He’s the same way all the time.”

Run away. Nebraska tailbacks Roy Helu Jr. and Rex Burkhead joined Martinez with better than 100 rushing yards. The Huskers haven’t had three players over the milestone in the same game since 2001. Nebraska’s play balance — just 11 throws in 65 snaps Saturday — figures to remain run-heavy throughout the season. It seems only fumbling — and an Oct. 16 visit from Texas — can disrupt the offense.

I never in a million years thought we would have held Jake Locker to 4-20 passing. Dennard has looked just as good as Amukamara did last year, PJ Smith has a few picks and has laid out a few big hits already also. Thenarse has looked great as well and it goes without saying when it comes to Hagg and Gomes.

Can't wait til they get their shot at Garrett Gilbert.

Our corners are great. Hell, our whole secondary is great. That play where Hagg stretched out and broke up that pass was one of the prettiest pass breakups I have seen.

That being said, you can definitely tell the surge in the middle of our defense is lacking without Suh. In my opinion, our d-line play has been average this year so far, but keep in mind our d-line last year didn't start really cracking skulls until conference play started (Mizzou).

Our corners are great. Hell, our whole secondary is great. That play where Hagg stretched out and broke up that pass was one of the prettiest pass breakups I have seen.

That being said, you can definitely tell the surge in the middle of our defense is lacking without Suh. In my opinion, our d-line play has been average this year so far, but keep in mind our d-line last year didn't start really cracking skulls until conference play started (Mizzou).

Disagree. Even though the 2's have been average, Stein has played very well. I think it has more to do with scheme than it does ability. 2 of the first 3 games, we have used the Mush Rush to contain mobile qb's, but look what happened when we got a guy like Enderle who wasn't nearly as fleet afoot.

LB play is still a work in progress, but the S's have (at the very least) been tackling well.

Edited by 74Hunter

Disagree. Even though the 2's have been average, Stein has played very well. I think it has more to do with scheme than it does ability. 2 of the first 3 games, we have used the Mush Rush to contain mobile qb's, but look what happened when we got a guy like Enderle who wasn't nearly as fleet afoot.

It does seem the d-line was more or less just trying to keep their lane assignments while "rushing" Locker.

We will see, but I don't think our first test will come until Texas as far as pass rush goes. Kansas St's QB is horrible and South Dakota St...well, not much needs to be said there.

I never in a million years thought we would have held Jake Locker to 4-20 passing. Dennard has looked just as good as Amukamara did last year, PJ Smith has a few picks and has laid out a few big hits already also. Thenarse has looked great as well and it goes without saying when it comes to Hagg and Gomes.

Can't wait til they get their shot at Garrett Gilbert.

I've read in other articles that Dennard has actually outplayed Amukamara and looks like the All-American candidate. I personally think offenses are staying away from Prince, but it's great to see Dennard really stepping up and and making offenses think twice when throwing to his side. Our secondary is second to none IMO. :bonesflag:

I couldn't even read that . . . after reading the second sentence I just couldn't stop laughing.

"Washington possesses the best set of skill players on the Cornhuskers’ schedule, and the Huskies completed four passes for 71 yards in No. 8 Nebraska’s 56-21 rout at Husky Stadium on Saturday."

Really? Better than UT? Better than aTm? Better than OSU? Better than MU? What a joke.

I couldn't even read that . . . after reading the second sentence I just couldn't stop laughing.

"Washington possesses the best set of skill players on the Cornhuskers’ schedule, and the Huskies completed four passes for 71 yards in No. 8 Nebraska’s 56-21 rout at Husky Stadium on Saturday."

Really? Better than UT? Better than aTm? Better than OSU? Better than MU? What a joke.

That's a good question. Clearly he's thinking that Locker and Co. are good, we're just good enough to shut them down.

This is a question better left answered after the season, but at the moment I don't see a WR on Texas' roster that's as good as Kearse, let alone the package of Kearse, Aguilar and Barnett. I don't know that Gilbert is as good or better than Locker. I don't know that the TX RB is better than Polk.

I don't see a WR corps at A&M like Washington's; same goes for KSU. I'd say Johnson is better than Locker, but that's probably more a system thing. Locker has bigger wins on his resume. I wouldn't say Christine Michael is as good as Polk.

Coffman certainly isn't better than Locker. Gabbert is probably better overall than Locker – he's battle-tested against the Blackshirts and played pretty well despite a bad early injury. Missouri doesn't have a RB as good as Washington. The one glaring example of "better than Washington" is Daniel Thomas being head and shoulders above just about everyone.

I'll admit to not knowing much about Okie State this year. I haven't even looked in their direction to know who took over for the guys they lost to graduation.

That's a good question. Clearly he's thinking that Locker and Co. are good, we're just good enough to shut them down.

This is a question better left answered after the season, but at the moment I don't see a WR on Texas' roster that's as good as Kearse, let alone the package of Kearse, Aguilar and Barnett. I don't know that Gilbert is as good or better than Locker. I don't know that the TX RB is better than Polk.

I don't see a WR corps at A&M like Washington's; same goes for KSU. I'd say Johnson is better than Locker, but that's probably more a system thing. Locker has bigger wins on his resume. I wouldn't say Christine Michael is as good as Polk.

Coffman certainly isn't better than Locker. Gabbert is probably better overall than Locker – he's battle-tested against the Blackshirts and played pretty well despite a bad early injury. Missouri doesn't have a RB as good as Washington. The one glaring example of "better than Washington" is Daniel Thomas being head and shoulders above just about everyone.

I'll admit to not knowing much about Okie State this year. I haven't even looked in their direction to know who took over for the guys they lost to graduation.

Bear with me while I pick and choose what I will reply to . . . but you might want to rethink the bold. aTm has a better QB, better RBs, and their WRs are WAY better than Washington's. In my opinion, it's not even close. The only weakness aTm appears to have on offense is their OL. (which is a HUGE weakness)

Personally, I would rank Washington's skill positions dead last among the teams that I mentioned. (aTm, UT, OSU, MU, UW) I think most sports writers would agree.

And to be clear . . . I'm not trying to downplay the Blackshirt's performance. I'm just saying that UW is far from a world beater. They are a mediocre to bad team who was playing at home.