Husker Notes from around the region

knapplc

More from Sarkisian

Posted by: Steve Sipple

Washington head coach Steve Sarkisian had some interesting things to say about Nebraska on his Monday radio show.

Bob Condotta blogs about it for The Seattle Times. Here's the full story.

Some excerpts:

** "I don't know if Nebraska respected the Huskies at the end of that ball game Saturday, and that's not okay,'' Sarkisian said, then repeating a little later that "I don't know if they respected us at the end of that game so its been addressed and it won't happen again.''

** Sarkisian said that Nebraska was "as good as I've seen in maybe 10 years covering the pass.'' Because of that, he said that the plan going into the game was to "to run the football predominantly anyway which we eventually did if you look at the numbers.'' He said the Huskies hoped to establish the run to open up some play-action passes and shorten the game but that Nebraska covered the pass so well it was hard to get that part of the game going. And that once the deficit grew he felt they had to pass to try to get back in the game.

** Asked how true freshman OT Erik Kohler played, he said "unbelievable'' and that Kohler handled his one-on-one battles with Nebraska DT Jared Crick well. Crick finished with four tackles. "He blocked him,'' Sarkisian said. He said the main area Kohler struggled was in "exotic pressures,'' times when Nebraska brought more than the usual number of rushers.

Bo Pelini: Good start to week

Posted by: Steve Sipple

Lest you think Nebraska might start this week flat after a resounding victory Saturday, and with an FCS opponent up next, the Huskers actually practiced very well Monday, head coach Bo Pelini said.

"I thought we had real good tempo," he said. "I like the way they came out. It was a good, good practice."

Seventh-ranked Nebraska (3-0) takes on South Dakota State (0-2) at 6 p.m. Saturday at Memorial Stadium.

Pelini brushes off the notion of a potential letdown.

"The way we go about things, it doesn't matter who we play," the coach said. "That's the next opponent on our schedule. They're the next team we play, and we're playing. Let's roll. We have to get better this week."

Pelini was asked if Nebraska will be playing FCS teams in the future.

"Some I-AA schools obviously have beaten some I-A schools, but that's not something I'm real big on," he said.

On the injury front, Pelini said sophomore linebacker Will Compton (foot) remains "weeks" from returning to full speed. He suffered his injury two days before the Sept. 4 opener.

"He's walking around. He's doing better. I'm not exactly sure -- however long it takes a bone to heal," Pelini said. "He's ahead of schedule, I think. Time will tell."

Meanwhile, Marcel Jones said Monday he hopes to be able to play by the time conference play begins next month.

Jones, a junior projected to start at RT, hasn’t played this season because of soreness in his lower back.

Dating to last season, Jones has missed six straight games. An ankle injury sidelined him the final three games of 2009 after he’d started 11 games at right tackle.

Notes: NU won't let down, Bo says

— Mitch Sherman and Rich Kaipust

LINCOLN — Nebraska coach Bo Pelini is not expecting a letdown as the Huskers face South Dakota State Saturday after returning home from a 56-21 win over Washington.

SDSU plays in the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly I-AA), and is 0-2, losing to Delaware and Illinois State.

“It doesn't matter who we play,” Pelini said Monday as NU returned to practice with a two-hour session at the Hawks Center. “That's the next opponent on our schedule. They're the next team that we play, so let's roll. We've got to get better this week.”

Still, the coach could probably brush up on his classification terminology.

“I don't even know what the FCS is,” Pelini said.

Pelini said he's not “real big on” playing more FCS schools, though he noted that several have recently defeated Football Bowl Subdivision (I-A) schools.

Pelini says Compton ahead of schedule

Linebacker Will Compton, who suffered a broken foot two days before the Huskers' Sept. 4 season opener, is progressing well but remains weeks away from a return, Pelini said.

“I'm not exactly sure — however long it takes for a bone to heal,” Pelini said. “He's ahead of schedule, I think.”

Starting left guard Keith Williams did not practice Monday after leaving the Washington game late.

“We rest him on Monday,” Pelini said. “He could have practiced today. We kind of have a plan for him going forward. He's actually feeling real good.”

Hagg, Martinez earn honors

Nickel back Eric Hagg, named the Big 12 defensive player of the week, has developed into a key player on the NU defense and improved over last year, Pelini said.

“He's been playing at a high level for a long time around here,” Pelini said. “We ask him to do a lot of things. He steps up.”

Hagg intercepted Jake Locker's first pass of the game Saturday in Seattle and finished with one tackle and two breakups.

Also, quarterback Taylor Martinez was named the national freshman of the week by rivals.com.

Near misses for David

Linebacker Lavonte David blitzed twice on Saturday and came up just short of sacking Locker. David showed his frustration on the field after missing the QB, though Locker hurriedly threw incomplete both times.

“I was disappointed,” David said, “because if I would have come a little faster, I probably would have got him.”

Is the effort worth something, especially since it disrupted both plays?

“Yeah, but the coaches want perfection,” David said. “When they send you on a blitz, they want you to get the quarterback.”

Better result this time for pass to McNeill

NU receiver Mike McNeill scored the first touchdown Saturday on the same play the Huskers had failed to execute against Idaho.

Quarterback Taylor Martinez hit McNeill in stride on the Huskers' second offensive snap for 24 yards as the converted tight end stretched the football to the pylon. A week earlier, Martinez had badly misfired downfield in the direction of a wide-open McNeill.

Receivers coach Ted Gilmore said the result of the play against Idaho played no role in Nebraska's decision to run it so quickly against Washington.

“We felt it was there,” Gilmore said. “We felt in the run-action game, we could get that route. So it was nice, when you know something's there, to execute it.”

No. 1 vote wasn't Bo's

Pelini said Monday on the Big 12 teleconference that the Huskers' lone No. 1 vote in the USA Today coaches poll didn't come from him.

“I don't normally say,” he said, “but, no, it wasn't mine.”

Nebraska was the only team in the coaches poll to get a first-place vote other than No. 1 Alabama (55) and No. 2 Ohio State (three). NU stood No. 7 in the rankings.

Asked if the vote might have come from Washington coach Steve Sarkisian after the 56-21 blowout of the Huskies, Pelini said: “I don't really care, to be honest with you. But it wasn't me.”

Unlike the Associated Press writers poll, ballots from the coaches poll are not made public.

One coach (Bo: No) picks NU

Nebraska is off to such a rousing start that rankings are subject to conversation.

The Huskers received a first-place vote in the coaches poll. That prompted a reporter during Monday's Big 12 coaches teleconference to ask Bo Pelini if he knew the identity of the voter who was so impressed by Nebraska. Or even if the voter was Pelini himself.

"I don't know," Pelini said. "I don't really care. But it wasn't me."

Nebraska deserves favorable reviews. Quarterback Taylor Martinez continues to energize the offense, which generated 22 burst plays (20 yards or better) during a 3-0 start. Of the Huskers' 15 rushing touchdowns, the average distance is 28.5 yards. Three rushers — Martinez and running backs Roy Helu and Rex Burkhead — enjoyed 100-yard games in Saturday's 56-21 romp at Washington.

All that, and Pelini's defense remains effective. The Huskers already have three interception returns for touchdowns and proven they can be beasts in Blackshirts without Ndamukong Suh.

For his part, Pelini offers little hyperbole. Ask about the run game, which ranks fourth nationally with a 344-yard average, and the third-year coach first praises the offensive line.

"When you play well up front, it solves a lot of issues," Pelini said. "I think we've done that. We've gotten better on our offensive line. We have more depth. We have more options. ... It's a team game. You have one breakdown and plays aren't going to work."

Not only must the Big 12 pay attention, the Big Ten is keeping tabs with the Huskers a year removed from joining that league. Not only is Nebraska playing well, but 20,000-plus fans accompanied the team to Seattle, providing a travel update to anyone wondering how Big Red faithful will navigate Big Ten country.

Hawkins, Buffs recover

Dan Hawkins was so inspired before Colorado's game against Hawaii that he bloodied his nose head-butting a player, who, yes, was wearing a helmet.

"It was fun," said the CU coach, a one-time fullback.

The Buffs, however, didn't click until the second half, recovering from a 10-0 deficit to prevail 31-13 behind a pair of 100-yard rushing performances from Rodney Stewart and Brian Lockridge. Hawkins, however, didn't liken himself to Knute Rockne with whatever speech he offered at halftime.

"I think sometimes we tend to over-romanticize those things," Hawkins said. "It was intense, but at the same time we were trying to make some corrections and get some things laid down for the second half. You can't just come in there and yell and scream."

Topekan misses OU game

Oklahoma kicker Patrick O'Hara, a sophomore who earned the starting job as a walk-on last season, missed last week's game with a muscle strain. O'Hara's availability for OU's game this Saturday at Cincinnati remains uncertain. He was replaced by former starter Jimmy Stevens.

Elsewhere, Missouri defensive end Aldon Smith will be out Saturday with a fractured fibula, an injury that is not expected to sideline the sophomore standout too long. Also, Texas Tech quarterback Taylor Potts has a sore hand, which prevented him from playing in a series against Texas but is not considered severe.

ISU needs to connect

Iowa State lacks the explosiveness to cover big chunks of yardage, a problem coach Paul Rhoads said has been especially troubling whenever the Cyclones confront a long field offensively. They rank 11th in the Big 12 with an 18-point average (Kansas is last at 15.7) and scored one touchdown in Saturday's loss against Kansas State on an interception return.

A potential game-tying touchdown the Cyclones missed on in the fourth quarter found Alexander Robinson slip behind a K-State linebacker in coverage, only to have quarterback Austen Arnaud overthrow the pass.

"Our style has been one first down at a time with very limited explosive plays," Rhoads said. "If we're going to change our scoring output as an offense, we're going to have to get more explosive plays. We had our shots Saturday and didn't deliver."

Players of the week

— OFFENSE: QB Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State, jr. Threw for 409 yards and six touchdowns against Tulsa.

— DEFENSE: DB Eric Haag :facepalm: , Nebraska, sr.: Intercepted first Washington pass to set up a TD and added two breakups. ... CB Curtis Brown, Texas, sr.: Long interception return swung momentum against Texas Tech.

— SPECIAL TEAMS: KR William Powell, Kansas State, sr.: Averaged 29 yards on four returns as part of 129 all-purpose yards.

By the numbers

3 — Interceptions returned for touchdowns by Big 12 defenders last week.

10 — Consecutive possessions Oklahoma State converted into scores to begin its romp against Tulsa.

20 — Years since Texas Tech was held to fewer than 150 yards. It managed just 144 in the loss against Texas.

48 — Losses for Baylor in 50 games against ranked teams since the inception of the Big 12.

351 — Yards rushing Oklahoma surrendered to Air Force, the most against the Sooners under Bob Stoops.

** "I don't know if Nebraska respected the Huskies at the end of that ball game Saturday, and that's not okay,'' Sarkisian said, then repeating a little later that "I don't know if they respected us at the end of that game so its been addressed and it won't happen again.''

I wonder what this is about.....

As in, we didn't respect them because we beat them so soundly that we lost respect for them, or we were gloating/lacking sportsmanship/rubbing the big win in type of not respecting them....

As in, we didn't respect them because we beat them so soundly that we lost respect for them, or we were gloating/lacking sportsmanship/rubbing the big win in type of not respecting them....

I'm wondering as well.

According to our players, however, Washington was talking a lot of crap before the game.

I'm wondering as well.

According to our players, however, Washington was talking a lot of crap before the game.

I heard that as well. Even some of their assistant coaches got into it.

I'm wondering as well.

I heard that as well. Even some of their assistant coaches got into it.

I read it as a coach saying his team was beaten so badly, the other team couldn't have respected them. Not as Nebraska players were letting him or the team know they didn't respect them.

On the injury front, Pelini said sophomore linebacker Will Compton (foot) remains "weeks" from returning to full speed. He suffered his injury two days before the Sept. 4 opener.

"He's walking around. He's doing better. I'm not exactly sure -- however long it takes a bone to heal," Pelini said. "He's ahead of schedule, I think. Time will tell."

So Compton did break his foot after all?