Martinez #2 Heisman Candidate

bbeerma2

I do believe a "too young" RB from OU didn't get the heisman despite his solid year....

Yes, I had thought about this when pondering his chances. If Adrian didn't get the Heisman, I think that Taylor is doomed. He's definitely not as much of a stud as Peterson was.

I guess if you say so. But for fun.....based on what?

No freshman has ever won.

He has done nothing of merit to win the Hypsman at this point.

If we beat Texas, win out and beat the South rep, he might get invited, but will not have a chance at winning.

That is a lot of ifs in my book.

I want to see him against a real team, not a cream puff. I bet the old man throws some sticks in the spokes in a couple of weeks.

But it is fantastic that he is getting all this hype for Nebraska, but I am concerned about his ability to handle it as it goes on. The best thing for Nebraska would be for it to end and the R&R boys carry the load more. Lot of presure on a freshman, no matter how Kool he seems to be.

The thing with Locker vs. Martinez is, Martinez does not need to drop 80 yard runs every game. He does need to handoff and complete some short passes, so unless they shut down both his running AND his passing.... He won't have the kind of stats that Locker posted. In this respect, a subpar game will not hurt Martinez as much. Especially if he gets one good run out for a TD and we win by less than a TD against a Texas-like opponent.

I'm perfectly content having an offense that's fun to watch again. The speculation from the talking heads is entertaining but has become increasingly ridiculous over the years. We haven't even started conference play and all they walk to talk about are championship scenarios and awards.

I'm 98% sure Martinez isn't going to win the Heisman this year.

I'm 87.3% sure he isn't going to get invited to New York for the ceremony.

I'm 104.3% sure that the Heisman is still a joke.

Regardless, I think it's fantastic that Nebraska has two players in back-to-back years that are "good enough" to be in the conversation. As much disdain as I have for what this award has become it is still, sadly, the preeminent college football award. Having one of our guys mentioned in the conversation is still an honor.

i think your a 110% right

I think the guys at stiffarmtrophy.com have proven to know their stuff with this... They have Martinez @ 8 in this weeks poll.

Stiff Arm Trophy

StiffArmTrophy.com Week 3 Heisman Poll

rank player % votes prev

1 Michigan QB Denard Robinson 96% 65 1

2 Ohio St QB Terrelle Pryor 94% 64 2

3 Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett 91% 63 5

4 Boise St QB Kellen Moore 90% 61 3

5 Stanford QB Andrew Luck 83% 57 4

6 Alabama RB Mark Ingram 82% 58 13

7 Oregon RB LaMichael James 57% 42 11

8 Nebraska QB Taylor Martinez 50% 36 --

9 TCU QB Andy Dalton 49% 34 12