Wake could be dangerous!!!!

I don't know much about WAKE, but I have seen their starting QB play when he was in High School. I used to live about 45 minutes from Benny Maucks hometown of Kenton, Ohio. He was everything. He broke state and national records, and was voted Mr. Ohio I believe 2 times. Nebraska traditionally is weak in the secondary. If this kid is given time to throw, our defenders could be in for a long day. Nebraska needs to be aggressive on the D-Line, and get in his face. How was the secondary, and D-Line last week.

I don't know much about WAKE, but I have seen their starting QB play when he was in High School. I used to live about 45 minutes from Benny Maucks hometown of Kenton, Ohio. He was everything. He broke state and national records, and was voted Mr. Ohio I believe 2 times. Nebraska traditionally is weak in the secondary. If this kid is given time to throw, our defenders could be in for a long day. Nebraska needs to be aggressive on the D-Line, and get in his face. How was the secondary, and D-Line last week.

Stopping Mauk isn't really the primary concern. Stopping Barclay is. But, like I said in another thread, Mauk is underrated and I think we can stop their running attack.

But, I don't think Mauk has the receivers or the line to win a game through the air. That Wake line has never excelled in pass protection.

I think Wake will be as dangerous as NU and the play-calling let them be. I think this is a VERY winnable game, even handily :o

That being said, I also think this game is easily loseable(sp). If we come out predictable, don't play to our strengths, lose the pass rush and dominating d-line, let our O-line be pushed around by a Wake line that will only be better than Maine's, then it could be a HE11 of a bad night.

And while I'm on my soapbox, one more thing...

Where has the trick play went??? Does anyone have info on how many we ran last year? I'm not saying use them all the time, or even every game. But I remember TO, heck, even Frank (vs. OU) utilizing them to get us over the hump in games.

Any team that runs the ball as much as they do, can always play keep away. And if we have a bunch of quick 3 passes out out series we could be beat.

One of the major problems with billy c's offense is that NU normally loses time of possession. It just kills NUs defense, especially if they are thin.

Playing a team like this is going to be tough.

One of the major problems with billy c's offense is that NU normally loses time of possession. It just kills NUs defense, especially if they are thin.

Playing a team like this is going to be tough.

That's not a fault of the offense - that's an execution problem. Execute and any offense will control the time of possession. Under Solich we saw a ton of "three and out" series when folks would load the box and Lord couldn't pass.

Regardless which offense a team runs, they can't afford lack of execution that results in three plays and a punt.

That's not a fault of the offense - that's an execution problem.

But if it happens continually and with different players, I would point to a problem with schemes or how they are taught.

Execute and any offense will control the time of possession.  Under Solich we saw a ton of "three and out" series when folks would load the box and Lord couldn't pass.

Regardless which offense a team runs, they can't afford lack of execution that results in three plays and a punt.

Agreed. :thumbs

But if it happens continually and with different players, I would point to a problem with schemes or how they are taught.

Depends on what you mean by "schemes". If you mean the specific way a coach implements a given offense, then yes - calling the wrong plays at the wrong times or downs and distances, that sort of thing. But each offense has, at one time or another, been sucessful, so to say "scheme" to mean a particular offense, then no.

I suspect, however, you are referring to the former and not the later, though, and if so, I get your point and don't disagree.

heck I guess maine was dangerous for us, so every team from here on out is going to be dangerous.

Depends on what you mean by "schemes". If you mean the specific way a coach implements a given offense, then yes - calling the wrong plays at the wrong times or downs and distances, that sort of thing. But each offense has, at one time or another, been sucessful, so to say "scheme" to mean a particular offense, then no.

I suspect, however, you are referring to the former and not the later, though, and if so, I get your point and don't disagree.

I guess that "scheme" may not have been the proper term, I should have used "system." And yes, how they implement the system is what I was referring to.

I have heard alot about how big billy c's playbook is and how long his plays are. It just seems to be a very difficult system for college kids to grasp.