Is Carl Pelini a top 20 Defensive Coordinator?

NUance

Rivals 2010 Defensive Coach Power Rankings

1 . . . Kirby Smart . . Alabama

2 . . . Dick Bumpas . . TCU

3 . . . Norm Parker . . Iowa

4 . . . Tom Bradley . . Penn State

5 . . . Will Muschamp . . Texas

6 . . . Bud Foster . . Virginia Tech

7 . . . Jim Heacock . . Ohio State

8 . . . John Chavis . . LSU

9 . . . Ellis Johnson . . South Carolina

10 . . Brent Venables . . Oklahoma

11 . . Nick Aliotti . . Oregon

12 . . Pete Kwiatkowski . . Boise State

13 . . Mark Stoops . . Florida State

14 . . Vic Fangio . . Stanford

15 . . Matt Wallerstedt . . Air Force

16 . . Tim DeRuyter . . Texas A&M

17 . . Teryl Austin . . Florida

18 . . Kalani Sitake . . Utah

19 . . Manny Diaz . . Mississippi State

20 . . Chuck Bullough . . UCLA

linky

And all this time I thought Carl was one of the best DCs around. Go figure.

Im wonder if they are speculating whether it's Carl or Bo who's running the defense.

That was my first thought. But this list is full of guys who work for head coaches that started out as Defensive Coordinators. Frank Beamer was a defensive coordinator before a HC. Does he run the show instead of Bud Foster? Bob Stoops started out as a defensive coordinator under Bill Snyder. Does Stoops run the show instead of Brent Venables? Kirk Ferentz started out his career as a DC. And so on.

Seems to me like a glaring omission that Carl Pelini isn’t in the top 4 or 5 this list.

• Fire 1

Im wonder if they are speculating whether it's Carl or Bo who's running the defense.

That was my first thought. But this list is full of guys who work for head coaches that started out as Defensive Coordinators. Frank Beamer was a defensive coordinator before a HC. Does he run the show instead of Bud Foster? Bob Stoops started out as a defensive coordinator under Bill Snyder. Does Stoops run the show instead of Brent Venables? Kirk Ferentz started out his career as a DC. And so on.

Seems to me like a glaring omission that Carl Pelini isn’t in the top 4 or 5 this list.

Well, maybe because this is just his 3rd year here? Maybe he's just under the radar? They should have noticed the massive difference from 2007 though.....

Oregon's DC? Eh...

Yeah, there are a bunch of odd picks here. What about aTm? Okie Lite lit em up just last week. Heck, even Florida Intl scored 20 on aTm. Or UCLA? Have they kept anyone out of the endzone? Well, I guess they did shut down UT. Heh.

Pelini is one of the most prominent names in defensive football. Only a complete idiot would have not added Bo or Carl to the top three, and in my opinion, overwhelmingly #1.

They fielded the best defense in the only category that actually matters––points––last season, and they single handedly engineered the greatest defensive turnaround in modern football history in two seasons. Already one of their young studs was selected #2 overall in the draft, and at least one of our corners is expected to be early first round material next April.

That list isn't worth the toilet paper it's printed on.