Will Compton is back

Nexus

ya that is a good question. I don't know how you can take David off the field, but you also can't take Gomes or Hagg off the field either. Personally I would rather see David on the field in the dime than Compton if nothing else because I think he is a better blitzer and better in coverage, along with being a natural playmaker. On the other hand Compton knows all of the checks and can get the defense lined up a lot better. Never a bad thing to have too many playmakers though.

David is the only linebacker in the dime package. Compton would be the other linebacker in the nickel/peso package. David would make the calls in the dime package, while Compton would make the calls in the peso.

Compton was our defensive QB before he got hurt. It'll help having him make calls out there.

It's good to have him back but at this juncture in the season I really don't think we want him to start.Especially starting against a team like UT. He needs to get his feet back under him in a game time experience slowly.

If we stick with our current starters I would feel much more comfortable. :bonesflag:

• Fire 1

It's good to have him back but at this juncture in the season I really don't think we want him to start.Especially starting against a team like UT. He needs to get his feet back under him in a game time experience slowly.

If we stick with our current starters I would feel much more comfortable. :bonesflag:

I disagree, but I see what you're saying. With all the uncertainty we had this offseason (injuries included), Compton was one of the few locks. If he was good enough to be in that position, I think he's bolsters the LBs quite a bit. Whaley and David's biggest problem this year has been communication and mental errors, which Will's experience should help reduce.

If Compton gives the defense an edge similar to what Dillard gave us when he started playing last year, I'm ALL for him starting.

As I said before, Compton isn't the dime linebacker, that was going to be Fisher, who is replaced by David. Compton is the other linebacker in the Peso - but in that package he's the defense's QB, and he's going to get us into the right alignment/coverage more often than any of the other linebackers. I'm sure he's still sharp on the mental aspect of the game, and that's where David (and Martin/Whaley) is weakest still. They might compliment each other beautifully.