One Texas Writer's Answer to the Longhorns' Offensive Woes

knapplc

Dear Mack Brown,

I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really think Jimmy is on to something here. His plan is pure brilliance - have your relatively immobile QB stand tall and pick the Nebraska secondary apart with your talented WRs. This is genius, and will guarantee a win Saturday.

Sincerely,

knapplc

A concerned fan

Forget the running game, Longhorns will throw ball

By Jimmy Burch (super genius!)

Texas has a Rolodex full of running backs with experience at the college level but no 100-yard rusher in any game this season.

Cody Johnson, the 250-pound hope of fall drills, has returned to his role as the team's primary goal-line and short-yardage runner, coach Mack Brown said earlier this week. D.J. Monroe, the latest flavor of the week at tailback, remains a concern to coaches in pass protection, but predicts better days ahead "as soon as I learn the playbook."

Tré Newton, the team's top returning rusher from last season, has fallen behind Monroe and Fozzy Whittaker on the depth chart while battling a hip pointer. Brown said Newton, a Southlake Carroll graduate, does not project to play much, if at all, in Saturday's game at No. 5 Nebraska (5-0, 1-0 Big 12) that will determine if Texas (3-2, 1-1) can snap its first two-game losing streak since the 2007 season.

If not, the unranked Longhorns will be afterthoughts in the Big 12 title picture and owners of their first three-game losing streak since 1999.

Against that backdrop, expect the Longhorns to do something in Lincoln, Neb., that they should have done sooner: Build a game plan around quarterback Garrett Gilbert, a five-star signee with NFL-caliber arm strength, and downscale plans to jump-start a ground game that ranks 82nd nationally, at 129.8 yards per game.

From the outset, Brown has stressed that his off-season emphasis on an improved ground game -- a failed bit, for multiple reasons -- stemmed from a desire to minimize pressure on his first-year quarterback. Now, coaches deem Gilbert ready to shoulder more of the offensive load.

"We thought our offense would grow with Garrett," Brown said. "We liked a lot of things he did in the second half against Oklahoma."

Specifically, coaches liked the 208 passing yards and three scoring drives Gilbert led during the second half of a 28-20 loss. During that stretch, he completed 17 of 26 passes and did not throw an interception. Included were strikes of 44, 40 and 33 yards to different receivers.

Gilbert put up those numbers without throwing to the team's most electric receiver, Mike Davis, who missed the OU game with a knee ailment but is expected to play against Nebraska. So is John Chiles, a Mansfield Summit graduate who leads the team in yards per catch (15.4), but missed most of the OU game with a groin injury.

After reviewing videotapes during the Longhorns' bye week, offensive coordinator Greg Davis declared himself "negligent" of freeing Gilbert to make big plays in the early stages of games because he focused too much on building his confidence with short completions.

"Can we let him throw the ball vertically a little bit more?" Greg Davis said. "The answer is, 'Yes.'... Even if you don't hit those balls, it sends a message about vertical throws that may open up something underneath. Early in games, we have not cut it loose as much as we should have."

So, for the first time this season, all signs point to Texas trying to win a game by leaning on its five-star quarterback instead of mixing in a liberal dose of carries for its three-star running backs. Why have coaches been reluctant, until now, to put the ball in the hands of their most heralded offensive player?

A combined 14 drops by receivers in the past three games is one answer. Gilbert also has thrown more interceptions (five) than TD passes (four) this season. But Brown identified the biggest reason.

"There's no question that, until the trust between Greg and Garrett gets there, that it's harder to call plays," Brown said. "He's got to find out what Garrett can do under pressure."

Brown said the two seemed to be "really making progress" during the bye week. Gilbert said Greg Davis has spent the time since the OU game stressing a need to be more precise with the football and to look for more opportunities to scramble for first downs.

"There have been times when I've gotten out of the pocket and I maybe had 5 or 6 yards," Gilbert said. "But I tossed it downfield and the ball ended up falling incomplete. Sometimes, the best play is to run and get what you can and either get down or get out of bounds."

Greg Davis said Gilbert's arm strength is a "noticeable" upgrade over predecessor Colt McCoy. In terms of Gilbert's mobility, Davis said: "We knew that he would not be a zone-read guy. But there are more plays in his feet than we've gotten through this part of the season."

Bottom line: With the team's season on the brink, Texas coaches sound like they're finally ready to remove the offensive training wheels and sink or swim with Gilbert. He clearly is receptive to the challenge.

"Offensively, we have to do a better job of finishing drives and finishing plays. That starts with me," Gilbert said. "I feel like we're close. We've got to keep improving."

Notice there's not one mention in this article about Nebraska's secondary. Mr. Burch, apparently, thinks that positive thoughts and a can-do attitude are all it takes to succeed against the Blackshirts. Nevermind that we have two NFL-caliber corners, two very capable safeties and a Peso back that Texas has never seen before (in fact, nobody has seen this before, but don't let that bother you).

Reading this story and others out of the state of Texas, you really get the impression that they either don't know much about football, or (more likely) they don't know much about football beyond the borders of Texas. To suggest that the best way to beat Nebraska is to pass the ball is patently absurd.

This is hillarious. Just look at the QB graveyard in my sig, thats all Mac Brown needs to see, and it only includes good QBs not others that we have completely dismantled who arent worth bringing up. I hope they try to pass it should ensure an early lead for us.

On the other hand I cant blame them for trying to pass when they obviously have no ground game to speak of. What are teams to do agianst our D? Evidently we didnt have a rush D, but we certainly proved that theory wrong last Thursday. The Jake Locker implosion proved how dominating our pass D is. There really isnt a chink in our defensive armor. I like our chances.

The only problem I can see is that we've so far proven to be good at taking away what an opponent is best at. Against Idaho we shut down their aerial attack. Against Washington it was more of the same. Against KSU we shut down their ground game.

What are we going to do when we face a team that isn't any good at anything? Could be trouble. :sarcasm

The only problem I can see is that we've so far proven to be good at taking away what an opponent is best at. Against Idaho we shut down their aerial attack. Against Washington it was more of the same. Against KSU we shut down their ground game.

What are we going to do when we face a team that isn't any good at anything? Could be trouble. :sarcasm

I think we did, on paper at least, and if memory serves they were called the Jackrabbits from SDSU..... :P

Tyrod Taylor...

Blaine Gabbert...

Landry Jones...

Colt McCoy...

Nick Foles...

Nate Enderle...

Jake Locker...

Welcome to Lincoln, Garrett Gilbert. We hope you enjoy your stay.

Reminds me of that t-shirt Sean Weatherspoons family wore last year listing all the Big 12 QB's and a check mark next to each one he sacked.

Notice there's not one mention in this article about Nebraska's secondary. Mr. Burch, apparently, thinks that positive thoughts and a can-do attitude are all it takes to succeed against the Blackshirts. Nevermind that we have two NFL-caliber corners, two very capable safeties and a Peso back that Texas has never seen before (in fact, nobody has seen this before, but don't let that bother you).

Not sure if Texas realizes this, but in order for them to even go vertical against our incredible secondary, they also have to deal with the Blackshirt Dline. And that's a very tall order considering how poorly their Oline has blocked so far this season. Davis can have Gilbert pass all he wants, but the young QB won't be very effective if our big boys up front are always in his face and smacking him to the ground.