Defensive Communication

With all of the talk lately about how well we play on the road because our defense can communicate more efficiently and such, it got me thinking.

Is our D that much more advanced and communication-intensive that the Home Field advantage is doing more harm than good? Obviously as fans we want to be loud and support the team and try and disrupt the offensive play-calling as much as we can, but at what cost to our own team? I understand that there are things both sides of the ball can do to limit the affect that crowd-noise has on them, such as hand signals instead of verbal play-calling, but are we seeing a negative at home because Memorial is rocking?

There's no denying that we play VERY well on the road; obviously we don't know how much of it is the focus the players have and the opponent and such, but we DO seem to be less dynamic in Lincoln. Can game day get here any sooner? I'm sick of reading all this bull about Texas, play the game already!

I think its all about a defense dictating to an offense. At home, when the crowd is loud, it is harder for members of the opposing offense to make adjustments. I guess I just don't see as much defensive adjustment in games as I do offensive adjustment.

Figuring out why we are good on the road isn't really all that necessary. We have played well at home during the Pelini years as well. We've gotten stung at home, Missouri and Texas Tech are examples. But we've also been stung on the road, like we did against Oklahoma.

This year we have been more assertive against tougher teams such as Washington and K-State. Those squads were never in the ball game. Throw out SDSU. That was a fluke IMO. I feel like we can take our road success, build on it and bring it home on Saturday against Texas.

While I think the Blackshirts' communication is made more difficult by the crowd noise at Memorial Stadium, especially in a game like this, it's still a much bigger issue for the Texas offense, hence the "home field advantage." Gilbert is gonna have a horrible time with audibles, and I expect at least a few penalties or wasted timeouts due to the crowd noise.

Not sure if you noticed this in the KSU game, but whenever Coffman audibled at the line, our D quickly looked to Carl for any needed defensive audibles. Clearly this was more for the benefit of our Dline and LBs, as the secondary already has an intricate system of checks and communications based on what they see from the opposing offense. I'd venture to guess we'll see more of this vs Texas since this form of communication is largely based on non-verbal cues from the coaches.

if you are implying that we should initiate a texas tech style "silent out", if that is indeed what you are implying good sir, i feel i shall remove my glove and hastefully run it across your face, thereby slapping you with it in a violent manner. please, good sir, in due time, witness hath image attached to this noble post:

simpson_glove_slap.jpg

if you are implying that we should initiate a texas tech style "silent out", if that is indeed what you are implying good sir, i feel i shall remove my glove and hastefully run it across your face, thereby slapping you with it in a violent manner. please, good sir, in due time, witness hath image attached to this noble post:

simpson_glove_slap.jpg

Heck no. Just trying to see if others thought the noise affected our D as much as I did. There have already been plenty of valid points refuting that though.

simpson_glove_slap.jpg

Heck no. Just trying to see if others thought the noise affected our D as much as I did. There have already been plenty of valid points refuting that though.

yes, i was joking. i see what you are saying, and communication on 'd' is definitely important, but i also think there are a lot less distractions when you play on the road, which also helps. i got to believe if our penalty-laden offense could handle seattle, our stellar 'd' can handle playing at home. they should be prepared for the noise. it might be easier to play on the road, but that does not mean they will play worse, they just have to be able to adjust.

Most defenses use alot of hand signals to call plays and alignments, and we do that.

Ya, the only reason I brought it up is because the coaches have mentioned it and even in the thread about Coach Ekeler it seems to sort of lean that direction (that the sound interferes). Either way, Memorial Stadium is going to be ROCKING.

Most defenses use alot of hand signals to call plays and alignments, and we do that.

Ya, the only reason I brought it up is because the coaches have mentioned it and even in the thread about Coach Ekeler it seems to sort of lean that direction (that the sound interferes). Either way, Memorial Stadium is going to be ROCKING.

Its definitely much harder on the opposing offense. And the d will get pumped with all the noise

Its definitely much harder on the opposing offense. And the d will get pumped with all the noise

I do remember an instance, after the 1992 Colorado game some d players described it as being so loud they couldnt even communicate in the huddle, so they wound up staying in base d the majority of the game, it worked out pretty good. But as far as this team, this staff, if our noise affected our d's communication then Bo wouldnt have publicly called out then publicly commended the crowd before and after the Oklahoma game respectively (the calling out took place after a prior game as i remember).

I do remember an instance, after the 1992 Colorado game some d players described it as being so loud they couldnt even communicate in the huddle, so they wound up staying in base d the majority of the game, it worked out pretty good. But as far as this team, this staff, if our noise affected our d's communication then Bo wouldnt have publicly called out then publicly commended the crowd before and after the Oklahoma game respectively (the calling out took place after a prior game as i remember).

That was an incredibly loud game last year, and our defense put forth one of its best performances of the year. Just ask Landry Jones.