Post game comments/interviews

Sparker

I didn't hear him say it, so maybe there was something in his tone-- but that sounds like his way of saying that the game was important to everyone, and that they, as a team, owe something to the fans. They exist for the fans and the school, not the other way around. I think that it's bigger than an apology and is a very humble statement.

Listening to it now.

Pelini said basically the team needs to man up and move on, and "The fans and other people can feel sorry for themselves" and it won't help the team to feel sorry.

"No coach out there did their job today, including me"

How do you feel about this being your last chance to beat Texas?

"I don't care"

Copy and pasted from LJS:

Pelini's postgame message

Posted by: Brian Christopherson on October 16, 2010 at 9:23PM CST

Saturday's result has obviously made Nebraska's national championship aspirations far-fetched.

I would say they don't exist at all, but I've learned to never to make such a declaration after my experience covering Nebraska's 2001 season. You'll remember about five teams all had to lose the week after Nebraska got buried by Colorado. And sure enough, all five did. College football is a weird deal sometimes.

Anyway, with the chance to go undefeated now removed, what does Bo Pelini tell his team?

"I told our football team we still have everything out in front of us that we want to do. Our first goal is to win the Big 12, it's still out there for us to go do but we're not going to do that unless we look in the mirror like men and take responsibility for what happened out on the field today and get better because of it.

"We'll let the fans and everyone else feel sorry for themselves and feel sorry for what happened. You have to take an experience like this and let it make you stronger. If we do that, we'll respond the right way."

What I don't really appreciate is Bo taking jabs at the fans. He said something along the lines of: We will let the fans feel sorry for themselves. Without fans, NU football wouldn't exist...

Yeah, that was pretty lame. It was basically Pelini trying to deflect away how important this game was to everybody. Bo should have apologized to the fans for the performance today. It was embarrassing.

That's crap.

I watched that press conference and saw a very bent out of shape coach mad at his team. The quote I'll take away is "If we look in the mirror like men, we'll do what we're supposed to and win this conference."

We aren't part of this team, they are, he's exactly right.

What I don't really appreciate is Bo taking jabs at the fans. He said something along the lines of: We will let the fans feel sorry for themselves. Without fans, NU football wouldn't exist...

Yeah, that was pretty lame. It was basically Pelini trying to deflect away how important this game was to everybody. Bo should have apologized to the fans for the performance today. It was embarrassing.

That's crap.

I watched that press conference and saw a very bent out of shape coach mad at his team. The quote I'll take away is "If we look in the mirror like men, we'll do what we're supposed to and win this conference."

thanks guys for clearing it up, i said what i thought i heard and it wasnt completely consistent with what was actually said. I did watch on the big at the weihr track from basically the stadium. No here goes MY rant. Some of you are still taking coach's comments so far out of context and being such sore losers it's pathetic. What he said is 100% accurate to the truth and that is exactly how it's gonna happen, because he also already understands that's how things work in this state, that that's what the fans and media are for.

I don't like the comments by Paul after the game claiming that Coach told them that Lee was ready to go in if necessary. If true, not showing a glowing endorsement from the coaches in Martinez. If not true, then Paul is stirring things up to deflect his shortcomings.

Or, maybe the coaches weren't just blowing smoke when they said it was a close race for starting QB. We can all now see where Martinez looked like a freshman, making the wrong reads and getting a bit worked up. If receivers catch, we win the game.... but if anyone thinks Martinez wasn't rattled they need to watch it again.

When I read it that's what it sounded like to me.

That's crap.

Upon listening to it that's the take away ... they still can achieve their goals and they can't waste time worrying about what's been done. THEY need to focus on what they still can do.

Bo is my favorite coach next to Devaney, sure we as fans can't DO anything but still that comment and some of the players about "moving on" show they don't understand the fan's passion for this team. Sure they play and coach and they have to attend to business but decade in and out ...its OUR team. They'll leave eventually, but God willing we'll be here all our lives. And maybe its good for people like Niles Paul to "have a short memory", we as fans have LOOOOOOOOOOOONG memories. I remember how much it hurt to the officials give wins (and consequently National champions ships away at Penn State in 82 and the 94 orange bowl). How they screwed Osborne by making him play Oklahoma in 1978. Etc.etc. Its great you boys can forget and move on ... and I realize why you have to. Maybe you need to realize and acknowledge why we fans won't.

I think what Bo meant was that there was no point in the team feeling sorry for themselves, and that they needed to move on now that the game was over. As far as Niles Paul, all I have to say is shut your mouth and catch the ball. His ego needs to be knocked down a couple notches & I think he's a little delusional about his NFL prospects-especially when he can't catch or hold onto a ball, and that's on NOBODY but him.