Decision to Bench Taylor

Wondering how you all felt about this decision.....

I seriously questioned the decision to bench Taylor. He is a RS Freshman. He's going to take his lumps. The only way he is going to learn and get better from adversity is to play through it. He needs these experiences to better himself for the future.

In the Big 10, he's going to face similar conditions and he's not going to have the experience to be prepared for them. Will the coaching staff let him play through them then? I would assume so (especially considering the lack of experience that will be behind him at that point), but then why wouldn't you let him play through them now? We won't have the leadership/experience of Zac Lee to fall back on next year so you better get Taylor prepared to be the guy.

It feels as though the coaches are sacrificing the future in an attempt to win now, which seems to go against their typical thought process in terms of redshirting and whatnot. If Taylor is going to be "the man" (as Pelini continues to insist) then we need to stick with him and be prepared to deal with the highs/lows that come with starting a RS Freshman at QB.

They weren't pointing the finger at Taylor. He played alright, and didn't get any help from his teammates. They were desperate, so they went to Lee.

What they should've done was brought in Lee to play QB and moved Taylor to WR. That's where we needed a change, and maybe he could've caught the friggin ball.

I don't mind Lee...but I think by taking out your biggest homerun threat with time running out down 17 points is an odd call. You can let Lee have a series but man why not get Taylor in there too? Line him up as wideout and fake a reverse to him. Texas was keying in on him all game so why not use him as a decoy?

It feels as though the coaches are sacrificing the future in an attempt to win now, which seems to go against their typical thought process in terms of redshirting and whatnot.

Really, you'd rather lose games today in hopes of winning in the future? I'd fire any coach that did that. Unless we were already out of getting to a bowl.

• Fire 1

Winnng now verses developing young players is always a tightrope. Unfortunately, in this day and age, the winning has to come first.

While Taylor wasn't the sole issue or problem, it was evident that we were not going to succed with a running-only attack, so you have to go to another option. That's the pass. Like it or not, Lee is a better passer than Taylor. It was a move that had to be made.

• Fire 1

The WR corps played like garbage and I really wonder why they continued to run the zone-read with Lee. Zac is no threat the break that play by keeping the ball so the D doesn't really have to be concerned about defending him on the keep. If you leave Martinez in, maybe the WRs catch a ball or two and you still keep that game-breaking element that Taylor possesses with his feet.

Poorly coached, poorly executed gameplan.

I thought it was a smart move but that's just my opinion

I initially hated it, but Zac was making great reads and throwing the ball pretty well. With that said, on one zone read play, Zac kept it, making the correct read, but was tripped up for a 4 yard gain when Martinez would have had a vapor trail behind him. I am not sure what to make of it, to be honest. Taking Martinez out is conceding the big play on the ground. Leaving him in and getting nowhere could kill his confidence if he starts chucking it and gives up a ton of picks, pulling him could kill his confidence. It's very delicate with a freshman. I think Pelini did what he thought was best to try and win the game. Either way, I am not sure that it matters yesterday. I just hope Taylor responds with fire in his eyes and belly and steps up and next week and the rest of the way.

Winnng now verses developing young players is always a tightrope. Unfortunately, in this day and age, the winning has to come first.

While Taylor wasn't the sole issue or problem, it was evident that we were not going to succed with a running-only attack, so you have to go to another option. That's the pass. Like it or not, Lee is a better passer than Taylor. It was a move that had to be made.

I could see your point only if they would have used Lee to his strength, but using him to run zone read plays really?

I'm not saying what Bo did was right with benching Taylor. I'm just saying, "You play to win the game" - Herm. You don't "play to hopefully win games next year". At the time, Bo felt that our best bet to win the game was Lee. My problem is you can really screw with a kids confidence if you pull him every time he struggles just a bit. Pick your QB, AND GO WITH HIM>

Man, Bo was right. "Quarterbacks is all you guys want to talk about, and I'm done."

This loss had very little to do with QB play. If our receivers catch the balls that hit them square in the hands, we have 3 more touchdowns, the running game opens up, which results in more touchdowns, and we are here talking about how good it felt to dominate Texas.

Stop talking about the QBs. It had nothing to do with them.

• Fire 1