please, minnesota, pleeeease

If guys hold on to the damn ball are we still calling for SW to leave?

Possibly,alot of people really don't like Shawn Watsons predictability and gameplanning.

I'm not saying I haven't had frustrations with Wats, I'm just saying we were dropping and fumbling the ball and if we weren't we win that game which means few calls for SW's head. We also probably move the ball better a little better, not completing passes means Texas continues to play the run. Not saying Wats doesn't have faults but the loss goes way beyond things he did or didn't do. I'm not even wild about some defensive decisions that were made. I'd have pulled Thenarse and put Compton in.

I understand if watson only did this for ONE game but how long has he been doing this for? How long are we going to take this? The thing that frustrates me is that he needs to roll with HIS gamplan and cant adjust to the defenses weakness. As an OC, youre suppose to exploit their weakness and continue to watch film of that team to see what works. Watson didnt do that to texas, they have great ouside speed so the zone read from pistol and shotgun wont work against that defense. He didnt play to texas' weakness, he played to their strengths. That is not a sign of a good coordinator, if your gameplan wont work then you adjust and do different formations/plays, mix it up more and keep the defense honest. What would have happened if we kept the defense honest, like passing sometimes on first down? what would have happened if we ran slams and counters against the team? You can not tell me that our oline is worse than UCLA's because i dont see it. We should have worked on more plays in practe, ucla killed them with counters and slams under i formation and ace. Oklahoma did the same thing as well. Watson has proven again that he will no go away with what he wants to do even if its not going to work or work against that D. I want an OC that will study film and put in a few new wrinkles to exploit the defenses weakness. Thats too much to ask with watson as OC.

I am hearing a lot of Mike Leach rolling about when talking the Gophers.

The sad thing that is lost in all of this is now that Brewster is gone, the writing is all over the wall for the Coz. He gone. Karma owed us at least one year in the Big X to hang on his defense what we had to endure for those four years.

Be careful what you wish for.

^^

||

||

Ain't that the truth?

I understand all the frustration flying around, believe me. I had to sit there in the stands with everyone else and watch the Texas sideline erupt like starving men stumbling across a freezer full of filets when the clock clicked to zero to send us into the fourth quarter.

I saw our guys shuffle down the sideline with all the enthusiasm of a leper walking to the gallows.

Seems rather convenient and overly simplistic to pin the whole nightmare on Watson, imo. Will Watson lead us to the Promised Land as our OC? I'm not saying that. But it wasn't his game plan that lost the game for us on Saturday. It was our lack of execution.

Again, that's just my opinion.

I thought I read on some thread that the "unwritten Big 10 code of ethics" prevents one school in conference from raiding another team's staff?

My understanding of that rule is that it only applies to Head Coaches. For example, Bo Schembechler was an assistant at Northwestern for a couple years before Woody Hayes hired him as an assistant at Ohio State in the 50's. A modern day example is DC Mike Hankwitz. He was a DC at Wisconsin in 2006 & 2007 before accepting the DC position at Northwestern in 2008.

So my guess is a Big Ten assistant can accept a HC job at another Big Ten school or move laterally as an assistant at another Big Ten school.

^^

||

||

Ain't that the truth?

I understand all the frustration flying around, believe me. I had to sit there in the stands with everyone else and watch the Texas sideline erupt like starving men stumbling across a freezer full of filets when the clock clicked to zero to send us into the fourth quarter.

I saw our guys shuffle down the sideline with all the enthusiasm of a leper walking to the gallows.

Seems rather convenient and overly simplistic to pin the whole nightmare on Watson, imo. Will Watson lead us to the Promised Land as our OC? I'm not saying that. But it wasn't his game plan that lost the game for us on Saturday. It was our lack of execution.

and when has watson's offense executed against a good defense? Ill be waiting for an answer...His offenses have failed CONSISTENTLY against good defenses. Have you ever thought people are wanting him gone because OF THE PAST? He keeps doing it, its not like this is the only game his offense has failed. Of course, I have yet to hear from people how hes such a good coach..or why he doesnt attack a defense weakness..or when his offense has executed aganst a top 25 d.

^^

||

||

Ain't that the truth?

Have you ever thought people are wanting him gone because OF THE PAST?

I think people are wanting him gone because we lost to Texas 20-13 two days ago. Three passes get cradled instead of dumped to the turf and absolutely ZERO people are calling for a Watson pink slip.

I think I made it pretty clear I wasn't calling Watson a genius who is guranteed to lead us to that coveted NC. All I said was that, for last Saturday anyway, he wasn't the reason we lost.

offer a head coaching job to watson. That way he can reunited with his boy, Cosgrove! Come on Minnesota, you can do it!

It's possible that whoever is hired COULD retain one or two coaches from the previous staff, but it's more than likely that Cosgrove will be gone next year. I haven't watched enough Gopher football to know if defense was the problem or not. Only reason why Watson & Gilmore were retained was that offense wasn't the problem.

offer a head coaching job to watson. That way he can reunited with his boy, Cosgrove! Come on Minnesota, you can do it!

It's possible that whoever is hired COULD retain one or two coaches from the previous staff, but it's more than likely that Cosgrove will be gone next year. I haven't watched enough Gopher football to know if defense was the problem or not. Only reason why Watson & Gilmore were retained was that offense wasn't the problem.

:laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound

98th in score defense, about the same in yards