WCHusker

think about it this way, we do not have to worry about the team's fumbles getting a MIP (or is it "an MIP"? i'll stick with "a MIP").

"An" only comes before a vowel.

For example, a sentence might read "This is an excellent sandwich." However, you would never say "They are going to get an MIP.", because 'm' is not a vowel. ;)

So sayeth Enhance89's English lesson of the day.

Ah, but you would say "an hour" despite 'h' being a consonant. Depends on how you are pronouncing MIP. "A MIP" implies 'mip', "An MIP" implies "Em-Eye-Pee", which, beginning with a vowel sound, requires 'an.' ;) I think the latter pronunciation makes more sense.

Correct, because h is a silent consonant.

Don't let anybody ever say HB isn't intelligent.

Ah, but you would say "an hour" despite 'h' being a consonant. Depends on how you are pronouncing MIP. "A MIP" implies 'mip', "An MIP" implies "Em-Eye-Pee", which, beginning with a vowel sound, requires 'an.' ;) I think the latter pronunciation makes more sense.

and that was my conundrum with "MIP", it is pronounced Em-Eye-Pee, so even though it is a consonant, it has a vowel sound, because it is a letter and not a word.

H can be silent, usually at the start of a word. Over time certain words which used to be pronounced without the H have changed and it has become more popular to pronounce the H. "An historical moment" vs "A historical moment" the former being technically correct, the latter being the modern phraseology. Zoogies is correct.

You said '"An" only comes before a vowel', which is obviously not the case. :bs: "An" comes before words which are pronounced as if they start with a vowel. In this case "Em" does start with a vowel sound because in the phrase "MIP" the M is a silent consonant. :nutz

• Fire 1