CFN.com's Big 12 Fearless Prediction

Not getting much love after our loss to UT. They're predicting a loss to OSU

CFN.com

Nebraska (5-1) at Oklahoma State (6-0) Oct. 23, 3:30, ABC

Here’s The Deal … This won’t get the overall national attention of other key games across the college football landscape, but it could turn out to be among the most fascinating and it’ll be among the most revealing. Oklahoma State has quietly gone 6-0, and while it has beaten Texas A&M and Texas Tech, it has yet to get any respect. Beating Nebraska would do that. With Kansas State and Baylor to follow, with a win this week, the Cowboys could reasonably expect to be 9-0 before going to Texas. Beat the Cornhuskers, and the media spotlight will follow. On the other side, Nebraska desperately needs to get the taste of Texas out of its mouth after its mega-flop last week, and with Missouri coming up next, there’s little margin for error. Can Taylor Martinez start running wild again? Will the nation’s No. 2 offense be able to work against the terrific Husker defense? It’s not all that crazy to think that this might be the first time that these two meet, with both teams good enough to potentially square off in the Big 12 Championship. Basically, the winner will be a major player over the second half of the season. The Cowboys have won three of the last four in the series.

Why Nebraska Might Win: Oklahoma State hasn’t faced a running game yet, and it hasn’t seen anything like the defense that the Huskers are going to bring to town. No one’s hotter in America than OSU QB Brandon Weeden, but Nebraska has a nasty habit of making good passers look ridiculous. Garrett Gilbert of Texas completed 4-of-16 passes last week against the Husker D, Idaho’s Nathan Enderle threw five picks in a 38-17 loss, and Washington’s Jake Locker completed 4-of-20 throws. No. 1 in the nation in pass defense and No. 1 in pass efficiency defense, Oklahoma State is likely going to have to rely only on the ground game. While Nebraska is 77th in the nation against the run, the 157 yards per game haven’t been a killer. Defensively, OSU is 36th in the nation against the run, but that’s mostly because everyone on the slate has been so busy throwing it.

Why Oklahoma State Might Win: It’s possible the Nebraska running game just doesn’t work against an athletic defense. Washington’s run defense has talent, but it hasn’t stopped anyone. Kansas State’s run defense is 115th in the nation, and Idaho’s is 84th. Everything was going well for Taylor Martinez and the Nebraska offense, and then … thud. The Texas defense attacked and held firm all game long and the Huskers couldn’t get into the end zone outside of a punt return. Nebraska only works well on the ground, and while the passing game is efficient because of a few home runs here and there, the Big 12’s No. 12 passing game isn’t likely to beat the Cowboys though the air. The OSU defense might not be air-tight, but it can fly around with the strength a nice front four to clean everything up at the point of attack. If nothing else, OSU’s back seven can run with Martinez and the Nebraska ground game.

What To Watch Out For: Taylor Martinez is still the Nebraska quarterback. Bottled up by Texas for just 21 yards on 13 carries, and completing just 4-of-12 passes for 63 yards, Martinez was benched for Zac Lee top turn a Heisman-caliber first half of the season sour in just a half. “T-Magic” ran wild over the first five games including 241 yards and four touchdowns against Kansas State, and he has to get the room to move again to make the Husker offense go. He doesn’t have to be explosive for Nebraska to win, but he can’t have another game like he did last week. While Martinez’s Heisman candidacy has taken a hit, Kendall Hunter’s deserves to heat up. The OSU passing game is getting most of the headlines, but it’s Hunter who’s dominating with 830 yards and ten touchdowns in the first six games, and the only game under 100 yards came in the blowout over Tulsa when he wasn’t needed. To have any shot of moving the ball on the Huskers, an offense needs to do a little of everything well, and Hunter will be the centerpiece early on.

What Will Happen: Get ready to embrace Oklahoma State. Martinez won’t run amok, but he’ll have a 100-yard day and will get the Nebraska offense moving again, but it won’t be enough to overcome Oklahoma State’s coming out party. The offensive balance will keep the Husker defense on its heels just enough make this a wee bit of a shootout, and Martinez and the offense won’t be able to keep up. The lack of a steady Nebraska pass rush will prove costly.

CFN Prediction: Oklahoma State 34 … Nebraska 31 … Line: Nebraska -6.5

Must See Rating: Due Date – 5 … Tracy Morgan: Black and Blue -1 … 4

EDIT: Just a side note but they're also predicting Missouri will beat OU.

Our D-Line hasn't done jack sh#t this year and I agree that they'll probably bottle up Martinez. The zone read doesn't look that complicated to stop if you have halfway decent athletes. It's another simple, overly used offensive strategy that will quickly be shut down against better teams. We haven't even tried to work on our passing as we've been too busy racking up ground points against sh**ty defenses and telling ourselves how good we are. Maybe during those blowouts we could have tried some more downfield shots, some more wrinkles, etc.? I'll be surprised if we win this.

I only have seen OSU play A&M but still was not that impressed with them, yes they have threats at WR, but there is nothing really defensively that NU can't handle. The D will more than keep us in the game, and if the O mixes it up they will be fine. This will be by far the best D OSU has faced. I still think they have more to prove than NU does.

I think we will absolutely rape OSU. Our defense will shut down their pass just like we have done to everyone we have played. It all depends on what O shows up, I am betting after a heartbreaking loss we will come out and play great especially on the road where we have proven to be a better team under Pelini.

My prediction 38-14

Just as a contrast, Phil Steele predicts a NU victory 38-24 and a Misery loss 31-17

I like Steele's better!!

On a side note the amazing phil steele also predicted ATM over MU 34-24 and Nebraska over Texas 27-13 last week. So...............just putting that out there

Just as a contrast, Phil Steele predicts a NU victory 38-24 and a Misery loss 31-17

I like Steele's better!!

On a side note the amazing phil steele also predicted ATM over MU 34-24 and Nebraska over Texas 27-13 last week. So...............just putting that out there

15 YARD PENALTY!! FLAGRANT USE OF COMMON SENSE! :LOLtartar

Yeah I remember Steele's predictions. ATM over Mizzou surprised me a little. ATM hasn't really shown anything all season aside from their close game vs Okie Lite. I actually can see Mizzou beating OU this weekend. OU is to wishy-washy right now and with the #1 BCS Ranking right now, they've been jinxed to lose.

I like Steele's better!!

Yeah I remember Steele's predictions. ATM over Mizzou surprised me a little. ATM hasn't really shown anything all season aside from their close game vs Okie Lite. I actually can see Mizzou beating OU this weekend. OU is to wishy-washy right now and with the #1 BCS Ranking right now, they've been jinxed to lose.

my favorite PS moment was him picking MU 5th in the north last year then 'pretending' like he didnt know what a radio show host was talking about cause "he was always high on the Tigers". What a tool. :laughpound

I sure hope you are right about the MU/OU game. I will be down there all day for the festivities and would hate to cap it with us getting a whoopin.

On a side note, i would have my money on NE this week. Just putting that out there

I like Steele's better!!

my favorite PS moment was him picking MU 5th in the north last year then 'pretending' like he didnt know what a radio show host was talking about cause "he was always high on the Tigers". What a tool. :laughpound

I sure hope you are right about the MU/OU game. I will be down there all day for the festivities and would hate to cap it with us getting a whoopin.

On a side note, i would have my money on NE this week. Just putting that out there

If you guys win this weekend, it is going to make winning the North Division a little tougher so I would be lying if I said I wanted you guys to win :lol: I do think it's going to be a good game and I would not be surprised to see MU win.

Nebraska should win this game.... OSU does not have a very good defense (ULL game gave up 28 pts). Their offense is lighting things up, but they have yet to face a defense. I believe all of their opponents ranked in the 100's of total defense, if I remember correctly.

I think OSU will put up some points, but I expect a UW type of game scoring wise for NU, might not be 56, but prob in the 40's.

NU-49

OSU-24