Don't slay me for this

epocSoN

While he can run FAST, he can't run well. He has absolutely NO juke moves.

Hm. I would say that's rather the opposite. Green and Lee are both fast, but neither runs as well as Martinez. Martinez has vision. Maybe not power and maybe not sick jukes, but I think in the end that's not going to be too critical. The mental factor is a hundred times more important and there's a lot more to bag on Taylor in that area.

Why do you always say that Lee is fast? He is in now way "fast"He runs a 4.8/4.9 Also green is not slow, but he is not fast for a dual threat quarterback.Actually I probally shouldnt say dual threat because he isn't a threat running or passing the ball.I guess at least Lee can throw the ball well.

Lee a 4.9 guy? You're crazy.

I like how you quote one thing that I said while ignoring all the other things that I posted. Yes I know that I got lees forty time wrong but that is not the point. The point is that he is not football fast and that it doesn't matter what his forty time is.His 4.6 speed does not translate onto the football field the guy just isn't football fast.He runs the zone read like a timid crippled old lady with cement shoes on,all he can get is 2-3 yards a carry because of his awful acceleration.Are you going to sit here and tell me that Lee is a good runner?

Compared to a lot of other quarterbacks? He's not too bad. The problem was last year was his willingness to run. Would I say that Lee was a willing runner last year? No. Would I say he could have done workable job with a better functioning o-line and different play calling? Yes. Lee was not an option qb and the team was not a option team. We did a lot of stuff under center towards the end of last year. Many of Lee's runs from under center were options. I don't think he's built for that. He's shown a few times though that he can make some nice gains with his feat against solid defenses (see AZ and TX).

He does seem like a much more willing runner since the Holiday bowl. The notion that Lee has no football speed is kind of silly. He's just not amazing enough to do it with the deck stacked against him.

i somewhat agree with the OP.

Marin-ez either runs straight for 56 yd TDs, or he smartly protects the ball in open space and goes down. he does not maneuver

vey well in open traffic, he simply blows by them

WHICH BAFFLES ME, THEN, THAT FRICKING WATSON DOESN'T ALLOW HIM TO RUN SOME NAKED BOOTLEGS OR COUNTERACTION TRAP/OPTION PLAYS. where he can get a crease and fly through it.

yea, frickin' Watson. Not allowing Taylor to succeed on the ground :)

I personally think we do a lot better with the QB running off draws and zone reads from the shotgun than we did in the past with them running sideways. Those take longer to develop. With our fumble problems, I really don't get why anyone wants to add the option (a complex package in and of itself that requires a lot of time in practice to install well), other than for nostalgic reasons. I am so, so very glad we've taken it out for the most part this year.

Did you know that in the zone read, if the QB reads the DL committing to the RB, he runs a naked boot?

I'm also struggling with where Taylor smartly protects the ball in open space. He hasn't done a lot of that, to my memory, this year. Or at least - he isn't doing a very good job of it.

Shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line. I have seen Taylor make a jump cut in the backfield to get to the open spot and accelerate better than any Husker QB that I can remember. What is the need for all the lateral movement when you can outrun everyone in a straight line? I am not a fan of all the bouncing around and dancing trying to bounce to the outside or reverse field. On plays like that the usual result is a holding call because the defender reverses course against the blockers, or a loss because the blocking breaks down. Get up field, get what you can, get outta town. I like the way he runs.

It isn't about his big runs when he outruns folks, but more about his 10-15 yards, that could turn into 20-25 yard runs or more if he was willing to plant his foot in the ground and make someone miss.

Others have talked about how it hurts us in other ways, so I won't be a broken record there.

It's like the problem with Taylor's passing and how he falls to lead his WRs. Yes, he completes passes, but how often do our receivers have to stop on a route or reach back for a ball that limits YAC.

Little things can mean tons of extra yards.

yea, frickin' Watson. Not allowing Taylor to succeed on the ground :)

I personally think we do a lot better with the QB running off draws and zone reads from the shotgun than we did in the past with them running sideways. Those take longer to develop. With our fumble problems, I really don't get why anyone wants to add the option (a complex package in and of itself that requires a lot of time in practice to install well), other than for nostalgic reasons. I am so, so very glad we've taken it out for the most part this year.

Did you know that in the zone read, if the QB reads the DL committing to the RB, he runs a naked boot?

I'm also struggling with where Taylor smartly protects the ball in open space. He hasn't done a lot of that, to my memory, this year. Or at least - he isn't doing a very good job of it.

Martin-ez fumbles because the RB and the QB both have to assume that they are getting the ball and squeeze it so tight that when the QB pulls it out, it'll pop loose. on a pitch option, it's not much more dangerous than a toss sweep or bubble screen.

plus, factor in the defensive confusion when they flow one way and the offense plants and goes the other (the counter action i was talking about) this gives Martin-ez an extra step even to find an opening.

My wife is from Omaha, so her family, she and I are all Big Red Fans. I being from LA am LSU first. That said, I noticed the same thing. His runs against K State were all in wide open fields. UT just game planned themselves into his lanes and he didn't handle it well. I believe he will become an even more special player, but he is fairly one dimensional at the moment.