Don't slay me for this

epocSoN

i agree, his moves are average, but then again, why have moves when nobody can catch you in the open field

Sometimes you may need moves to get to the open field. I think we are going to see even greater runs by the time he is through and he figures out that speed alone sometimes is not enough and adds escapability to his resume.

He is a great runner, we will see what he learns from his TX experience his quick first cut and then bolt were working pretty well. If anything he may just need to get better a bit better with his reads. He also has shown that he can break takles if the d if trying to arm tackle him. I have not rewatched the TX (dont have it in me) but I'm sure he would agree that he could have played better.

While he can run FAST, he can't run well. He has absolutely NO juke moves.

Hm. I would say that's rather the opposite. Green and Lee are both fast, but neither runs as well as Martinez. Martinez has vision. Maybe not power and maybe not sick jukes, but I think in the end that's not going to be too critical. The mental factor is a hundred times more important and there's a lot more to bag on Taylor in that area.

Why do you always say that Lee is fast? He is in now way "fast"He runs a 4.8/4.9 Also green is not slow, but he is not fast for a dual threat quarterback.Actually I probally shouldnt say dual threat because he isn't a threat running or passing the ball.I guess at least Lee can throw the ball well.

I always say this because now that we have Taylor, everyone for some reason categorizes Lee into a Zac Taylor, Pat Witt category of speed. Lee leaves Joe Ganz in the dust with his athleticism. I said he isn't a great runner, which should make most people satisfied. But that doesn't mean that he has pretty good straightline speed. Take that for what it's worth. Lee has 4.6 speed and if I recall, was reported to have outrun Quentin Castille and was one of the more athletic guys on the team of any position in tests during spring of '09. Lee isn't the best runner, but he's got wheels.

With Green, it's also open field speed. I think he takes a while to accelerate and get going, and also isn't the guy that can find holes and run through them. Could be due to his size. Green is pretty flying though. Wasn't it A&M that was looking for him to be WR?

It does seem like Taylor freezes up at times making decisions behind the line. On the other hand, when he does pull it down and run, sometimes it's just one deadly, decisive cut and he's gone.

I read somewhere else that he ran a 4.8 there is no way that he runs a 4.6 and also Lees athleticsim does not leave ganz in the dust that is totally bogus.I have been saying that lee is not in anyway fast long before we were talking about Taylor.Even if he runs a 4.6 it obviously doesn't translate onto the field ,Lee runs like a crippled old lady when he runs the zone read.Lee runs more like Zac taylor when it comes to running the football,and Green is a horrible runner with descent speed.Cody green has no elusiveness and all he can do is run behind a blocker,fumble,and overthrow his targets by ten yards.

Sorry man, you don't know what you're talking about. Zac Lee runs a 4.6, and it's been verified all over. You can look at his Scout and Rivals profiles, read the stories about races with Castille and other skill players, or watch highlights from last year (the Kansas game is a good example). He has awful acceleration, which is why he seems so slow, it takes him 5-6 steps to get going that fast, but the speed is there. He's an extremely athletic dude.

While he can run FAST, he can't run well. He has absolutely NO juke moves.

Hm. I would say that's rather the opposite. Green and Lee are both fast, but neither runs as well as Martinez. Martinez has vision. Maybe not power and maybe not sick jukes, but I think in the end that's not going to be too critical. The mental factor is a hundred times more important and there's a lot more to bag on Taylor in that area.

Why do you always say that Lee is fast? He is in now way "fast"He runs a 4.8/4.9 Also green is not slow, but he is not fast for a dual threat quarterback.Actually I probally shouldnt say dual threat because he isn't a threat running or passing the ball.I guess at least Lee can throw the ball well.

I always say this because now that we have Taylor, everyone for some reason categorizes Lee into a Zac Taylor, Pat Witt category of speed. Lee leaves Joe Ganz in the dust with his athleticism. I said he isn't a great runner, which should make most people satisfied. But that doesn't mean that he has pretty good straightline speed. Take that for what it's worth. Lee has 4.6 speed and if I recall, was reported to have outrun Quentin Castille and was one of the more athletic guys on the team of any position in tests during spring of '09. Lee isn't the best runner, but he's got wheels.

With Green, it's also open field speed. I think he takes a while to accelerate and get going, and also isn't the guy that can find holes and run through them. Could be due to his size. Green is pretty flying though. Wasn't it A&M that was looking for him to be WR?

It does seem like Taylor freezes up at times making decisions behind the line. On the other hand, when he does pull it down and run, sometimes it's just one deadly, decisive cut and he's gone.

I read somewhere else that he ran a 4.8 there is no way that he runs a 4.6 and also Lees athleticsim does not leave ganz in the dust that is totally bogus.I have been saying that lee is not in anyway fast long before we were talking about Taylor.Even if he runs a 4.6 it obviously doesn't translate onto the field ,Lee runs like a crippled old lady when he runs the zone read.Lee runs more like Zac taylor when it comes to running the football,and Green is a horrible runner with descent speed.Cody green has no elusiveness and all he can do is run behind a blocker,fumble,and overthrow his targets by ten yards.

Sorry man, you don't know what you're talking about. Zac Lee runs a 4.6, and it's been verified all over. You can look at his Scout and Rivals profiles, read the stories about races with Castille and other skill players, or watch highlights from last year (the Kansas game is a good example). He has awful acceleration, which is why he seems so slow, it takes him 5-6 steps to get going that fast, but the speed is there. He's an extremely athletic dude.

It doesn't matter what he runs, his 4.6 speed looks like 4.8 speed because it takes him forever to accelerate,like I said he runs like a crippled old lady,it doesnt matter what his 40 time he is just a horrible runner.Most people will agree with him being a horrible runner,there is no way around it fact is,that he is just really bad running the football.What is the point of running a 4.6 if it takes you like 5 seconds to get through the hole for a 2-3 yard gain?I guess that is really "athletic". :sarcasm

When he was on White Smoke he ran the option against our starters to prepare them for the run game. I remember watching him as a freshmen and sophomore, he has some speed he just runs to protect himself now that he is the starter.

???????

i meant *was*

So basically he didn't run fast/hard and looked slow last year because he didn't want to get hurt when tucking the ball and running? :unsure: I guess I can say that he looked descent running the ball against kansas last year,it looked like he was running hard in that game.It seemed like he hesitated alot last year when he ran the ball.I just don't understand why he looks like such a poor runner if he runs a 4.6,why is his acceleration so bad?

epoc, are you talking about Zac Lee? He was never a freshman here, you may have meant his redshirt sophomore year. I thought he was out with an ACL injury that year.

Actually the knock on Zac's running last year is that he didn't protect himself enough. Another area where perception rules over reality. People saw our struggles last year and think he's both slow and afraid of contact. Zac didn't protect himself enough last year if I recall and was taking some vicious hits. And jumping up with a stupid grin on his face like he wanted more.

I do think Martinez is a deadly runner, and whether he can juke well or not won't take away from the phenomenal threat he brings as a running quarterback.

Taylor's acceleration as a runner is unreal. His top speed with the pads on is also matched by few. But even I've yet to see him plant his foot in the ground and make an over-pursuing defender look silly. Really have not even heard about his lateral quickness, because a majority of his runs are simply him running past people.

Although if we are talking about his running style, I wish he would do three things better ..

1.) Put the dang ball away. I'm getting flashbacks of '99 with all this fumbling.

2.) Learn how valuable you are at the QB position. That extra yard or two you may get with contact isn't more valuable than your long-term health for the team. If the situation needs the extra 1-2 yards, great. But get down, and don't take some of these unnecessary hard hits.

3.) Stop trying to do to much. When Taylor presses, he is a horrid runner. He did it in the SDSU game, and he did it in the Texas game. Taylor will 'big play hunt', make a terrible read on a zone play and it will usually lead to a loss or no gain. He needs to realize that a 2-3 yard gain is better than hoping for a big play, and ending up with a loss of yards or no gain at all.

But nearly all of that goes back to his maturity as a player. He's growing up on the field, and the snaps he is getting will hopefully teach him and make him better as the year goes on and in the future.

Taylor's acceleration as a runner is unreal. His top speed with the pads on is also matched by few. But even I've yet to see him plant his foot in the ground and make an over-pursuing defender look silly. Really have not even heard about his lateral quickness, because a majority of his runs are simply him running past people.

Although if we are talking about his running style, I wish he would do three things better ..

1.) Put the dang ball away. I'm getting flashbacks of '99 with all this fumbling.

2.) Learn how valuable you are at the QB position. That extra yard or two you may get with contact isn't more valuable than your long-term health for the team. If the situation needs the extra 1-2 yards, great. But get down, and don't take some of these unnecessary hard hits.

3.) Stop trying to do to much. When Taylor presses, he is a horrid runner. He did it in the SDSU game, and he did it in the Texas game. Taylor will 'big play hunt', make a terrible read on a zone play and it will usually lead to a loss or no gain. He needs to realize that a 2-3 yard gain is better than hoping for a big play, and ending up with a loss of yards or no gain at all.

But nearly all of that goes back to his maturity as a player. He's growing up on the field, and the snaps he is getting will hopefully teach him and make him better as the year goes on and in the future.

Agree whole-heartedly with point number one. One of those fumbles of his isn't going to bounce our way one of the times, and it could cost us dearly. Keep the ball close.

Wasn't there a sports science thread on Martinez making a 70 deg cut in like .3 seconds or something like that?

I do have to say I'd much prefer a runner to just go forward instead of dance around and get smashed. Make one cut, and run.

Me too. Heh....only us NU fans would bitch about Tmart's blasts for North-South 40 - 80yd TD runs. "He doesn't juke enough"!!

lol!

ps......zoogies my good friend, if Lee is "fast" then we have to have new and different adjectives for Tmart and well.....almost everybody else on the field.