Don't slay me for this

epocSoN

Taylor's acceleration as a runner is unreal. His top speed with the pads on is also matched by few. But even I've yet to see him plant his foot in the ground and make an over-pursuing defender look silly. Really have not even heard about his lateral quickness, because a majority of his runs are simply him running past people.

Although if we are talking about his running style, I wish he would do three things better ..

1.) Put the dang ball away. I'm getting flashbacks of '99 with all this fumbling.

2.) Learn how valuable you are at the QB position. That extra yard or two you may get with contact isn't more valuable than your long-term health for the team. If the situation needs the extra 1-2 yards, great. But get down, and don't take some of these unnecessary hard hits.

3.) Stop trying to do to much. When Taylor presses, he is a horrid runner. He did it in the SDSU game, and he did it in the Texas game. Taylor will 'big play hunt', make a terrible read on a zone play and it will usually lead to a loss or no gain. He needs to realize that a 2-3 yard gain is better than hoping for a big play, and ending up with a loss of yards or no gain at all.

But nearly all of that goes back to his maturity as a player. He's growing up on the field, and the snaps he is getting will hopefully teach him and make him better as the year goes on and in the future.

This isn't the Callahan era anymore. The QBs of Nebraska will once again be measured in comparison to the likes of Turner Gill, Tommie Frazier, Scott Frost, and Eric Crouch. Those guys didn't duck going into contact. That's not Nebraska football.

IMO he just seems to freeze up when somebody gets in his face. I'm not saying he can't become one of the great runners, just an observation.

I would feel more comfortable with this thread in the shed, but oh well.

i think you see it a lot when he gets flushed out of the pocket. i think it is more of a problem of him not having much pocket presence and not knowing how to take a sack.

Yeah, that's probably true.

I agree that he doesn't have a whole lot of pocket presence. The guy always seems to be hitting or bouncing off of the offensive lineman when trying to find a receiver.

This isn't the Callahan era anymore. The QBs of Nebraska will once again be measured in comparison to the likes of Turner Gill, Tommie Frazier, Scott Frost, and Eric Crouch. Those guys didn't duck going into contact. That's not Nebraska football.

Toughness is one thing, stupidity is another. Taking unneeded contact in this day-and-age of football isn't the smartest thing to do, especially when players are stronger and faster than ever.

It's a race, not a sprint, and you need your body to be able to go an entire season and not start feeling all those hard hits you may not have needed to take later in the season.

Toughness is one thing, stupidity is another. Taking unneeded contact in this day-and-age of football isn't the smartest thing to do, especially when players are stronger and faster than ever.

It's a race, not a sprint, and you need your body to be able to go an entire season and not start feeling all those hard hits you may not have needed to take later in the season.

Well it's different when you are a powerful runner like crouch,he could lower his shoulder and knock your head off.

cody green actually has better acceleration than taylor.... cody does hold the 10 yard dash record for qbs

Really? I want some of whatever you are smoking. I'm not doubting his record I'm just saying that I really doubt that he can accelerate faster than T-mart. Things such as the 10 yard dash and the 40 yard dash are overrated sometimes.

I happen to disagree with with. He has very nice escapability and I remember the first game of the year he had a run that amazed me because of a sidestep he made. Yes it was Western Kentucky but still. Also this doesnt mean much but if I was out there trying to make a tackle chances are one of my ankles would probably break.

I belive the play you are reffering to is my sig, but I could be wrong. I think his "lack of moves" is probably more assoicated with his youth and field vision. He gets running and only looks straight ahead. As he develops inot a better player I would wager that we see his cuts improve greatly.

The play in your sig is a perfect example of how silly this conversation is. He makes a huge juke on a guy in the backfield, then lowers his shoulder on a guy at the five, then makes another juke to score at the goal line. Give me a break people. We have seen with our own eyes what he can do with his feet. I cant remember the last time I have seen a player break off more 40+ yd runs in a season.

IMO he just seems to freeze up when somebody gets in his face. I'm not saying he can't become one of the great runners, just an observation.

I would feel more comfortable with this thread in the shed, but oh well.

i think you see it a lot when he gets flushed out of the pocket. i think it is more of a problem of him not having much pocket presence and not knowing how to take a sack.

Yeah, that's probably true.

I agree that he doesn't have a whole lot of pocket presence. The guy always seems to be hitting or bouncing off of the offensive lineman when trying to find a receiver.

he is almost too patient. it is as if that because he is so fast, time slows down around him and his internal clock is off. just like neo in the matrix.

I mostly agree with epocSoN and BigWillie. Taylor's speed is not the issue . . . it's his lateral quickness/decision making that has me concerned at times.

Think back about when a defender got in his face in the backfield . . . Taylor should be quick enough to move around them and buy time . . . but instead he is usually sacked. Has Taylor avoided pressure, stepped into the pocket and fired a pass even once this year? I don't remember it if he has. Hopefully it comes with experience.

Keep in mind that this is not an attack on TM. I'm just stating what I see.

cody green actually has better acceleration than taylor.... cody does hold the 10 yard dash record for qbs

Game speed and track speed are two entirely different things. Watching film of these two proves as much. Martinez, in pads, has far better acceleration than Green.

Shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line. I have seen Taylor make a jump cut in the backfield to get to the open spot and accelerate better than any Husker QB that I can remember. What is the need for all the lateral movement when you can outrun everyone in a straight line? I am not a fan of all the bouncing around and dancing trying to bounce to the outside or reverse field. On plays like that the usual result is a holding call because the defender reverses course against the blockers, or a loss because the blocking breaks down. Get up field, get what you can, get outta town. I like the way he runs.

While he can run FAST, he can't run well. He has absolutely NO juke moves.

Hm. I would say that's rather the opposite. Green and Lee are both fast, but neither runs as well as Martinez. Martinez has vision. Maybe not power and maybe not sick jukes, but I think in the end that's not going to be too critical. The mental factor is a hundred times more important and there's a lot more to bag on Taylor in that area.

Why do you always say that Lee is fast? He is in now way "fast"He runs a 4.8/4.9 Also green is not slow, but he is not fast for a dual threat quarterback.Actually I probally shouldnt say dual threat because he isn't a threat running or passing the ball.I guess at least Lee can throw the ball well.

Lee a 4.9 guy? You're crazy.

While he can run FAST, he can't run well. He has absolutely NO juke moves.

Hm. I would say that's rather the opposite. Green and Lee are both fast, but neither runs as well as Martinez. Martinez has vision. Maybe not power and maybe not sick jukes, but I think in the end that's not going to be too critical. The mental factor is a hundred times more important and there's a lot more to bag on Taylor in that area.

Why do you always say that Lee is fast? He is in now way "fast"He runs a 4.8/4.9 Also green is not slow, but he is not fast for a dual threat quarterback.Actually I probally shouldnt say dual threat because he isn't a threat running or passing the ball.I guess at least Lee can throw the ball well.

Lee a 4.9 guy? You're crazy.

I like how you quote one thing that I said while ignoring all the other things that I posted. Yes I know that I got lees forty time wrong but that is not the point. The point is that he is not football fast and that it doesn't matter what his forty time is.His 4.6 speed does not translate onto the football field the guy just isn't football fast.He runs the zone read like a timid crippled old lady with cement shoes on,all he can get is 2-3 yards a carry because of his awful acceleration.Are you going to sit here and tell me that Lee is a good runner?