Coaches Poll Out and AP Poll

The polls have never made sense to me. You're undefeated and you beat the #3 team. You're the pollster who put them at #3. You can't take away the fact that you thought they were the 3rd best team. If Missouri beats the 3rd best team in the country and they're undefeated, why aren't they now the 3rd best team in the country until they prove it was a fluke?

The polls have never made sense to me. You're undefeated and you beat the #3 team. You're the pollster who put them at #3. You can't take away the fact that you thought they were the 3rd best team. If Missouri beats the 3rd best team in the country and they're undefeated, why aren't they now the 3rd best team in the country until they prove it was a fluke?

I understand your logic.

But using your logic would put Mizzou at #3 in the country. Which clearly the arent.... yet. They jumped to #8 which is about right, if they come out and beat NU then I think they can jump up a few more spots. But until they do that they are borderline top 10 team. Plus this was Mizzou's first test. Their schedule up until this point was worse than Nebraska. I wish pollsters would use a body of work, instead of the flavor of the week. Using body of work, Mizzou would barely be a top 25 team right now. This why the system is so flawed. Next week we will find out who is for real in the Big 12 North. Mizzou beat us, I'll give'em props and say their pretty good. If dont then their just another flavor of the week, and prob lose a couple more games, just like in '08.

Heh, we're still below Oki State. Seriously? Who is running these things?

This is why preseason rankings are stupid, re: MU. They're undefeated in a BCS conference, they handed OU very well, yet boise St. gets to be ranked higher because they started off higher. What else can teams do? Rankings are ridiculous all around, of course, and we need.. um.. some sort of system where teams that were highly ranked could play additional games after the regular season was over. Some kind of way that teams would be eliminated and the winners would play each other so that, by the end, we'd be left with two teams playing in a championship who had beaten other highly ranked teams.

But, gosh, that would be impossible.

Should a bad Purdue team have been ranked #7 after they beat #7 Ohio State last year?

You rank teams based on how good they are.

Unfortunately the pollsters are utterly incapable of operating with this logic.

Instead, they rank teams sheerly on record and prestige.

I love how you'll see a team lose a tight game to the best team in the nation (Arkansas losing to Alabama, for instance) and proceed to drop 3 or 4 spots.

The rankings are a joke.

I love how LSU was ranked #6 going into this week.

But they were liek 7-0, broham!

Yeah, 4 of their 7 wins were against a heavily suspended UNC team, West Virginia with their star RB Noel Devine playing injured, a fluke win against Tennessee only because their coach doesn't know how to count, and Florida without their starting RB Jeffy Demps.

Now let me ask you...

Would they have been ranked if they were 3-4 like they should have been?

Of course not.

But, once again, the pollsters have no idea to rank teams BASED ON HOW GOOD THEY ACTUALLY ARE.